Finally got HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mblouir
Okay got them adjusted. Gonna run out and take a few more shots and then post them up. Took several showing how to readjust the headlights. For some reason my right headlight was pointed more to the right than I would like, but it's no biggie. Pics coming in about 20 mins.
Mine was further right then I wanted also....got used to it though. I figure it had been that way all along but never noticed it with the poor lighting of the OEM's

Old 03-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Wall shots or road images.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 07kngrnch
Mine was further right then I wanted also....got used to it though. I figure it had been that way all along but never noticed it with the poor lighting of the OEM's
That's what I figured as well. Just never noticed it. I'm just chalking it up to a deer spotlight.

Originally Posted by jlstang351
Are you as blind as I was after adjusting mine
Yes, yes I am. It wasn't bad until I checked them from the distance to make sure they looked like they were both the same height. No offense to the great Stevie Wonder but this is how I felt after looking at them from a low angle.

On to the pics! First off, adjustment. Here's how:

1. Find a level surface that can allow you to park looking at a wall from ~25 feet.

2. Pull right up against the wall and mark a horizontal line at the center of the headlights. Also mark two vertical lines...one for each headlight.

3. Measure out 25 feet away from the wall.

4. Park your truck where the headlights are on the 25 foot mark. Doesn't have to be perfect.

5. Pop the hood and find the adjustment bolt. This is for '04-'08 body styles. The bolt is right behind the headlight and is 4mm. There's not enough room to fit a regular 1/4" socket wrench back there so I used a pair of plastic-grip pliers to turn it. Don't know why they designed it with so little space in there.

6. Turn on your headlights and see where they are. As I said earlier my passenger light is pointed more to the right than I'd like, but I've already driven at night and it's not noticeable. Better off pointing away from oncoming traffic than toward. Bambi spotter.

7. Now since we can't adjust our lights left or right (only up and down), you want to get the low beams ~2" below the horizontal line earlier marked. Better to go a bit lower if you're estimating, as HIDs are powerful enough.

8. Check out the high beams and make sure they don't go over the line. You want the high beams pointing at or just below the horizontal line.

Simple as that. The next ones are after adjustment...I'll try to get some night shots later. Keep in mind the camera adds light from the shutter speed, so it's not as blinding as it looks.

First two are comparison shots from before the HIDs and after:

Last edited by mblouir; 06-09-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:52 PM

Old 04-03-2009, 05:12 PM

Few more night shots

Got bored last night. It's been raining so the road reflected a lot of the light from the HIDs. You can see better when I pass an object or make a turn. Got a couple videos coming up shortly. Had iso setting higher than I realized on the last couple shots. The glare isn't like that IRL.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Most courses wont let you take your cart within 50yds of the green around here....much less your TRUCK!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by 07kngrnch
Most courses wont let you take your cart within 50yds of the green around here....much less your TRUCK!!!
I know people.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:07 PM
they look great!
this is definitely on the list of things to do

what did it cost for both sets?

Old 04-03-2009, 08:10 PM

Thanks man! It's definitely a head-turner. From DDM both sets (H13/H10) cost around $200 shipped. It's a great deal considering their lifetime warranty. Depending on how busy they are it may take a bit to get them to you, but it's definitely worth it.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:01 AM
WOOOOOOW! I really want to get me a set! But before I do that I need to buy headlight housings!

Old 04-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by mblouir
I know people.

Quick Reply: Finally got HIDs