Fiberglass vs. Steel Hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiberglass vs. Steel Hood

I am currently looking at replacing my hood (hail storm beat the hell out of it) and was looking a Cervini's fiberglass hood for around $750 shipped or a Reflexxion cowl hood for $525 shipped. I like both looks but was wondering what was the benefits of going with a fiberglass hood over steel. I know the weight is a lot less, but any other benefits? I was told that fiberglass holds up better to hail but wasn't sure if that was true or not. I live in Colorado so we get a pretty nasty hail storm about every other year. Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 09-22-2009, 10:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a reflexxions non cobra cowl hood, though it's not on my truck yet. I can say this, the reason I have it is my truck got caught in a bad hailstorm at work, the stock aluminum hood got beat up badly, but my fiberglass snuglid didn't even have a scratch. I think the metal hood would have sustained much less damage, but the fit is so good compared to the fiberglass hoods i've seen I chose the reflexxions hood instead.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:21 PM
I have a fiberglass Good Hood Ram Air hood, and just like stealth said, the fit on fiberglass hoods isnt going to be exactly perfect. But unless your actually looking for defects you wont notice. We just had a really bad hailstorm here last week with golf ball size hail and the hood looks like nothing touched it. But I was that hail damage on fiberglass you wont see, but the paint can crack from it causing water to get under the paint. And that was from the insurance company.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:52 AM
I had a fiberglass ram air hood from Suncoast Creations on my Trans Am, went thru a couple of hail storms in Florida.. no damage to it whatsoever..

Old 09-26-2009, 01:04 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I went with a Cervini's fiberglass hood, and love it. Some people have told me how good it lines up for being a fiberglass hood. It does weigh more then the factory hood, but it's solid and doesn't move or flex at highway speeds.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:04 PM
The Cervinis is a sweet hood! Thats the one company I forgot to look at before I got mine. But Ive been happy so far. Nice lookin truck powerz.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Ideal150
Nice lookin truck powerz.
Thanks! Your hood looks good on your truck aswell!!!

Old 09-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by powerz69
Thanks! Your hood looks good on your truck aswell!!!
Thanks for all of the info and picks. I was a little hesitant to go with a fiberglass hood because hearing about fitting alignment issues, but your truck looks great with the hood. Ever have any water get in the engine compartment? I don't think it would be an issue with a Cervini hood but have read about people complaining about water with Ram Air hoods. I'm pretty sure the Cervini hood has a drainage system built into the hood for any water that gets in.

Quick Reply: Fiberglass vs. Steel Hood