No More Patriot Decals

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010 | 12:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Wow that is really dumb, I got lucky and my F150 inlays shipped out 2 days ago. Site went down for "under construction" that day. Must have cut it close.

Good luck Patriot Decals. Hope all goes well for yall and yall can keep goin.

Old 03-13-2010 | 12:36 PM
As one who comes from a family sign/truck lettering/and logo design, ect business.... it is a risk doing stuff like this. I have access to this stuff anyways so it isn't a big deal to me, however anytime you take a copyrighted logo and use it for resale, it is a risk you take. While it does not seem like a big deal, it is still a copyrighted logo and is subject to lawsuits/fines if taken without permission.

Old 03-13-2010 | 12:49 PM
So can they still make the oval w/o ford written on it? And what about the innerlays? I was going to get the Tonka ovals. I went to order them Thursday night, but page was down. Guess I was a day to late.

Last edited by HighOn22's; 03-13-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2010 | 01:03 PM
They got fined?

Old 03-13-2010 | 01:26 PM

Well this sucks, I was about to order black badges with red ford text on them. I wish there was some way they could work it out with Ford for them to allow of it.

Old 03-13-2010 | 01:43 PM
This is retarded. Im ready to buy a chevy haha. Now everyone will just take there ford oval off instead of keeping it on the truck. I was about to get the black logo's Ford needs to suck it. I wanna go outside and burn my truck hahahaha j/k. Ill sign whatever it takes.

Old 03-13-2010 | 02:46 PM

Ford went after the Mustang market hard last year, and now it looks like they've gotten around to focusing on the F150 accessory dealers, now. Ever wonder why you can find key chains at Autozone with just about everything EXCEPT Ford products?

They are not stopping at hard goods, either. In 2008 they went after online forums and clubs who use the logo or Ford names in their sites.

Ridiculous, money-grabbing, big-corporation bull$&!t!

Andy

Old 03-13-2010 | 02:54 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by OhioLariat
Ford went after the Mustang market hard last year, and now it looks like they've gotten around to focusing on the F150 accessory dealers, now. Ever wonder why you can find key chains at Autozone with just about everything EXCEPT Ford products?

They are not stopping at hard goods, either. In 2008 they went after online forums and clubs who use the logo or Ford names in their sites.

Ridiculous, money-grabbing, big-corporation bull$&!t!

Andy
Boo freaking hoo, and tough luck. At least Ford didn't take bailout money.

Old 03-13-2010 | 03:08 PM

Nice! I guess that makes these worth a lot more than what I paid for them huh!!!

Let the bidding begin!!!!

Old 03-13-2010 | 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Stealth
Boo freaking hoo, and tough luck. At least Ford didn't take bailout money.
I fail to see what chasing down aftermarket suppliers and enthusiast clubs (who in no way were attempting to counterfeit goods or services) with lawsuits, fines, and threats had to do with Ford's ability to forgo federal bail-out. I doubt this campaign was the linchpin in their fiscal success model.

Andy

Last edited by OhioLariat; 03-13-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-13-2010 | 03:52 PM
I guess I'm not surprised because Ford went after Billet Badges many months ago and shut down their work (Ford logos). I'm glad I just got my latest PD overlays in the mail two days ago - Whew!

Still it's aggravating cause you know damn well Ford isn't going to go into this business and offer a similar product. Seems a better solution would be to have a company like Patriot Decals agree to some sort of licensing fee.

And the fact is most any good vinyl sign shop can do the same. A couple months ago I had new tape stripes applied to my tailgate. I had a PD silver/chrome overlay on my oval. The guy noticed and suggested black/chrome would look better and offered to do it for me. (I thought he had a good idea but I got them from PD instead cause I knew and trusted their work!)

Meanwhile, I have a black background/chrome letters Ford oval and a silver/grey background/black letters Ford oval - both by Patriot and both 9" size. Make an offer... Wait! Someone's banging at the door, I see figures rushing past my windows. Oh God! It must be Ford come to shut me down!!!!

Old 03-13-2010 | 04:27 PM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by Smokin Lariat
Still it's aggravating cause you know damn well Ford isn't going to go into this business and offer a similar product. Seems a better solution would be to have a company like Patriot Decals agree to some sort of licensing fee.
I believe it cost a million to get full licensing rights to use Ford oval, but im having trouble confirming this

kinda reminds me of this from a couple years ago http://culturegarage.com/article/for...u_want_to_fail and a follow up story http://boingboing.net/2008/01/25/bla...ng-club-c.html

Last edited by Patman; 03-13-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-13-2010 | 07:18 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by OhioLariat
I fail to see what chasing down aftermarket suppliers and enthusiast clubs (who in no way were attempting to counterfeit goods or services) with lawsuits, fines, and threats had to do with Ford's ability to forgo federal bail-out. I doubt this campaign was the linchpin in their fiscal success model.

Andy
No where did say anything like that?

What I did was make a positive post about Ford when all the guys here are bellyaching, crying, and bashing them for their decision to crack down on companies profiting off their likeness without permission.

Now you know.

Nice try though.

Last edited by Stealth; 03-13-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-13-2010 | 09:18 PM
It doesn't surprise me that Ford is going after people for selling stuff with their logo on it and not paying the licensing fees to sell their logo. Several years ago GM did the same thing.There are very few Grand National vendors as it is.GM put a stop to them selling stickers, t-shirts, reproduction seat covers, etc. with the logo on it.

Old 03-13-2010 | 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
I believe it cost a million to get full licensing rights to use Ford oval, but im having trouble confirming this
Patman: I'm sure it isn't cheap but a million? Are we to think the folks that market and sell those cheap key chains, license plate frames etc with the Ford logos - the kind of stuff you find at PepBoys, AutoZone, etc. etc. paid Ford a million bucks?

As a Ford enthusiast I'm outraged! As i said earlier, Ford isn't going to start offering overlays and inserts, so why shut down a business its enthusiasts enjoy and support? They could easily have negotiated, or gotten a court order for PDs financial records, and worked out a fair licensing fee and even a percentage of income if they feel that threatened. I understand the need to protect copyrights, patents, etc. but a 'cease and desist' order would have sufficed - a fine only if they had then continued to violate it.

Right now I feel like removing every symbol of Ford from my truck.

Maybe we should all get overlays that say "Patriot Decals"?

Last edited by Smokin Lariat; 03-13-2010 at 10:37 PM.

Quick Reply: No More Patriot Decals