The fix for HIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's the reason why I refuse to put HIDs in now because I know how bad the glare is on me in my little work car. And I had LASIK last year which makes it that much worse. No HIDs for me until I can do it properly.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
mblour, check this out:

Osram D2R bulbs (used in vehicles with xenon reflectors). I'm sure if you managed to adapt a set of those into your H13 housings, or copy the shield pattern, they should help a little.

Also, these are meant for H4s, but they are called Casper Shields. Maybe some help? Dunno just throwing stuff out there.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm putting in a request for OP to be moved to the Lighting & Illumination forum

Old 03-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Nice post man!! And +1 to retrofits!

Old 03-02-2011, 09:07 PM
a couple of things for the op

1) in the stock headlight housings there is a cap that is in the housing. removing this cap would reduce the light intensity. this reflects light from the end of the bulb back into the lens which intensifies it. guarantee removing this would solve some of the intensity problem.

2) the heat issue would be fixed if you did a zig zag metal piece that attached to the bulb but then jetted out an inch or so away before running parallel to the bulb. also having the cap removed like I suggested in #1 would allow more heat to escape.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
I'm putting in a request for OP to be moved to the Lighting & Illumination forum
I like the idea.

Originally Posted by 65fastback2+2
a couple of things for the op

1) in the stock headlight housings there is a cap that is in the housing. removing this cap would reduce the light intensity. this reflects light from the end of the bulb back into the lens which intensifies it. guarantee removing this would solve some of the intensity problem.

2) the heat issue would be fixed if you did a zig zag metal piece that attached to the bulb but then jetted out an inch or so away before running parallel to the bulb. also having the cap removed like I suggested in #1 would allow more heat to escape.
Excellent points. I would love for someone to pick this back up and figure something out. It would be very helpful for those on a budget who can't afford to retrofit at the moment.

I'd try it again but already working on retrofits:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ld-thread.html

Quick Reply: The fix for HIDs?