Painting a chrome grille

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 02:19 AM
Cuz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting a chrome grille

I have a new 2013 F150 that came with the "chrome package". I wanted to paint the grille black (surround ptm/gray) but when I called the local body shop they said they couldn't paint a chrome grille. That it wouldn't last. I asked if it couldn't be sanded and then painted but they said no. Is this true??
Thanks

Old 06-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Anything can be painted... proper sanding, priming, painting and clear coat there shouldn't be a problem... I painted all the chrome parts on my motorcycle over 2 years ago with rattle can and it's holding up fine. I did the chrome bumpers on my truck back in Feb and they are holding up find also.... here's a link... This is just random but you can do it with any color...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ap...pers-done.html

Old 06-01-2013, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No matter how much adhesive or special handling is done to get the chrone painted will it last. My abs plastic chrome surround got painted last year and its chipping and bubbling underneath...sanded, scuffed, etc etc...in the long run your better painting a plastic non-chrome peice

Old 06-02-2013, 01:20 AM
Cuz
Originally Posted by fine_style150
No matter how much adhesive or special handling is done to get the chrone painted will it last. My abs plastic chrome surround got painted last year and its chipping and bubbling underneath...sanded, scuffed, etc etc...in the long run your better painting a plastic non-chrome peice
Yea that's about what this guy was saying. He just flat out refused to do it because it would look bad in less than a year.

CManHugh, maybe it's the chrome "plated" on plastic that won't hold a paint no matter how its prepped? Actual metal chrome (bumpers, bike parts, etc) will take a paint?

Old 06-02-2013, 01:35 AM
Chrome plating isnt porous so its hars to get paint to stick. I do grilles all the time. Sand with 180, clean, adhesive promoter, primer, sand 320, primer, sand 600, clean an paint

Old 06-03-2013, 10:38 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by fine_style150
Name:  truck0513135_zps8cb98b21.jpg
Views: 3915
Size:  89.0 KB
Name:  truck0528136_zpsb8e65719.jpg
Views: 4700
Size:  249.2 KB

I had mine painted last year as well, and it's holding up extremely well! In fact, we've had TONS of interstate construction lately (where they've had the lanes scraped and grooved...a nightmare for painted surfaces because of all the debris that gets launched at higher speeds), and I've only had to touch up two VERY small chips. IMHO, it was well worth the price I paid to have it done at a professional shop that used top-quality self-etching primer and top-of-the-line paint and clear.

Originally Posted by Cuz
Yea that's about what this guy was saying. He just flat out refused to do it because it would look bad in less than a year.
That's what 90% of the shops I called told me, too. I finally found one that said he could do it and even guaranteed the work for 3 years! At this rate and hopefully, I'll never have to use that guarantee.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well then, I must of been had!
Mines doesn't have primer, apparently they spray the "adhesive" and then paint it. I scuffed and sanded it, but anything past that the shop took care of.

My experience has drawn me to believe in using a solid primed plastic piece that hasn't had chrome before. So I won't take that chance again, others may not be as lucky Mr. D, It is quite hard to find people who will even offer a warranty

Quick Reply: Painting a chrome grille