Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Paint your OEM wheels: Step by step w/pics (56k warning)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paint your OEM wheels: Step by step w/pics (56k warning)

First off props to zeruin for giving me the quick run-down on how to do this. I'm by no means an expert, but I thought I would share how I painted my wheels in case anyone else wanted to do the same. It is a good way to save some money and completely change the look of your truck. I'll post the way I did mine, although some of the steps are optional.

First you'll need your material:
-Duplicolor wheel paint
-Duplicolor clear coat
-Self-etching primer
-Spray can gun
-Degreaser
-Towel
-Brillo pads
-Spray bottle
-400 grit sandpaper
-Sanding block
-Masking tape
-Index cards
-Newspaper

Name:  DSC00920.jpg
Views: 8876
Size:  167.5 KB

The first thing I did was wipe down the wheels with some simple green to clean them up.
Name:  DSC00921.jpg
Views: 8627
Size:  113.1 KB

Then I used some brillo pads to scuff them up a bit and to completely remove all traces of dirt and grime. I kept my wheels really clean so this wasn't too bad, although it may be harder if your wheels are coated in crap.
Name:  DSC00923.jpg
Views: 10665
Size:  117.5 KB

After brillo pads:
Name:  DSC00924.jpg
Views: 8468
Size:  103.5 KB

Then take a sanding block and sandpaper and go to town. This was the most tedious step, as you want to make sure to scuff everything up so you have a good bonding surface for the paint. I ripped up some small pieces of sandpaper to get in the smaller grooves. Then use some more degreaser and make sure everything is cleaned up nicely.
Name:  DSC00929.jpg
Views: 8901
Size:  104.9 KB

Now mask off your wheels. I used some index cards between the wheel and tire and then masked off the surrounding tire with newspaper. I also stuffed some newspaper between the spokes to avoid painting the rotors. Now use some self-etching primer. I put on two light coats with about ten minutes between coats. Working around the truck with all four tires gives enough time so you shouldn't have to wait any--just keep moving. I was diggin' the army green color, although my neighbors were looking at me like I was crazy.
Name:  DSC00931.jpg
Views: 11108
Size:  128.9 KB

After letting the primer dry for 30 minutes or so it's time to paint. Grab some of the wheel paint and do light coats. This is always my problem as I like to lay on coats heavier to make sure it's covered evenly. Trust me, light coats and you'll be fine. The first and even second coats may not cover all parts of the wheel, but after a few more light coats it will look great. Same as with the primer, if you're working around all four wheels you shouldn't have to wait between coats.

After first coat (I still think I went too heavy here):
Name:  DSC00932.jpg
Views: 8499
Size:  115.8 KB

After five coats:
Name:  DSC00935.jpg
Views: 8760
Size:  143.2 KB

I let the paint dry for 45 minutes and started the clear coat. I did four light coats using the same light coat principle. You can vary this based on how glossy you want your wheels to be. Looking back I wish I'd have done less clear and gone with a more matte finish since my tires are so faded.

After first coat:
Name:  DSC00936.jpg
Views: 8963
Size:  140.7 KB

After four coats:
Name:  DSC00937.jpg
Views: 13254
Size:  116.0 KB

Now just let it dry overnight and you'll be set. After the first hour of drying I suggest removing all newspaper and index cards. If you leave them on and let it dry completely there is a chance it will try and tear off some of the paint when you remove it.

Letting it dry:
Name:  DSC00941.jpg
Views: 16660
Size:  146.2 KB

Newspaper removed:
Name:  DSC00946.jpg
Views: 24689
Size:  129.2 KB

Hopefully this helps if anyone wants to or has been thinking about painting their wheels. It was a very simple process and I'm very happy with the results.

Finished product:
Name:  DSC00943.jpg
Views: 21854
Size:  87.1 KB
Name:  DSC00985.jpg
Views: 11894
Size:  112.3 KB
Name:  DSC00987.jpg
Views: 8411
Size:  94.6 KB
Name:  1116081206.jpg
Views: 10467
Size:  74.7 KB

Now I just need some new tires!

Last edited by mblouir; 02-06-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice writeup..............Maybe sticky material?

Old 11-22-2008, 03:43 PM
looks really good!!

Old 11-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
awesome job
looks great!

Old 11-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Great write up, looks great. Sticky?

Old 11-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Look good BUT you should of take off the balancing weight.

When you're going to change your tire, you're going to have a sweet little ''stock paint'' spot on your rims.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:20 PM

Thanks guys! Hopefully this helps someone.

Originally Posted by °°Pat°°
Look good BUT you should of take off the balancing weight.

When you're going to change your tire, you're going to have a sweet little ''stock paint'' spot on your rims.
I thought about that but I'm getting new tires and wheels in January. My purpose in doing this was to see if I'd like my truck blacked out or not.

That's a great point, though, for someone looking to do this permanently. From what I've read it's nothing a little touch-up paint can't fix, but it would be a good idea to take them off first. Also I might add that they've been painted for over a month now and show absolutely no signs of chipping! I've taken them through the self-wash several times and the pressure washer has no effect. Also have scrubbed them with a hand wash pretty vigorously and they're fine. I think this would be a great solution for someone if they want their oem wheels a different color.

Oh and by the way Pat, nice post count

Old 11-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice job.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:50 PM
ive noticed something interesting... (btw, great post) in your pictures, specifically in these: newspaper removed- i can clearly see your FX4 decal. as i scroll down to the next pictures, i cant see it! is this an illusion from the light, or what?? i only ask because i notice this kind of thing. i dont know why....

Old 11-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by aaron82-
ive noticed something interesting... (btw, great post) in your pictures, specifically in these: newspaper removed- i can clearly see your FX4 decal. as i scroll down to the next pictures, i cant see it! is this an illusion from the light, or what?? i only ask because i notice this kind of thing. i dont know why....
From them looks of it, he actually took them off. From what I know, he plans on picking up some new decals from patriotdecals.com. You can see he had painted his Ford ovals. Check the pic when the orange bag on his hood, the oval still says Ford, then the last pic, it's painted black.

anywho.. Good job mblouir, I think it turned out pretty good. When ya get the new wheels/tires are you gonna lift it up or..? I think the tires would look fine if ya keep some tire dressing on them.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:20 PM
ive been thinking about this, any chance it could be done with the chrome oem wheels I have?

Old 11-23-2008, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by aaron82-
Originally Posted by zeruin
From them looks of it, he actually took them off. From what I know, he plans on picking up some new decals from patriotdecals.com. You can see he had painted his Ford ovals. Check the pic when the orange bag on his hood, the oval still says Ford, then the last pic, it's painted black.

anywho.. Good job mblouir, I think it turned out pretty good. When ya get the new wheels/tires are you gonna lift it up or..? I think the tires would look fine if ya keep some tire dressing on them.
Zeruin nailed it on the head--I took them off. Already got the overlays and I'm planning on picking up some new decals like he said. Not planning on lifting it until I get out of college. Once the money supply increases it's fair game. And yeah I try my best to keep dressing on them but it wears off fast. My apartment complex cuts the grass (dirt) early in the week and my university campus cuts theirs later in the week. So it's a constant battle to keep them shiny.

Originally Posted by FI10Fires
ive been thinking about this, any chance it could be done with the chrome oem wheels I have?
I'm sure it would be fine as long as you sanded down the wheels enough. I'd even suggest trying a wire cup brush. That should help the sanding process tremendously. Then after using the wire cup brush sand it down with paper. Every red truck I've seen with black wheels looks really mean, I say go for it!

Old 11-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Suspended
Nice writeup! Looks good.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:34 PM

Thanks! Another set of before/after pics. It really makes a huge difference.

Name:  DSC00701.jpg
Views: 7166
Size:  143.7 KB

Name:  DSC01024.jpg
Views: 7326
Size:  150.4 KB
Name:  DSC01021.jpg
Views: 7200
Size:  128.9 KB

Last edited by mblouir; 10-31-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:44 PM
nice nice.. did you ever finish painting your flares or steps?

Quick Reply: Paint your OEM wheels: Step by step w/pics (56k warning)