Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Headlight Restoration How-To

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 02:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mblouir
No problem. At least you figured out there was a problem on the inside. Lots of my buddies want me to do their headlights, but their problem is not on the outside--it's condensation on the inside. Not much to do there besides cracking them open or replacing them.

Post back with how it goes!
Well that's going to take a while. It's now on a pretty lengthy to do list.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might be a little dumb here but that's nothing new for me. I went to walmart tonight and all I found was plastx. Also what is DA?

I did buy maguirs headlight restor kit. Is it worth the $20 or should I return it?

Last edited by EVIL_SVT; 01-02-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVIL_SVT
I might be a little dumb here but that's nothing new for me. I went to walmart tonight and all I found was plastx. Also what is DA?

I did buy maguirs headlight restor kit. Is it worth the $20 or should I return it?
I'm confused...you say it's nothing new for you yet you're asking questions about it. Did you mean that it's new to you? If you would please edit your last post and delete out all the pictures from my quote. Thanks!

As for your questions...
1. A DA is a Dual-Action Polisher. In my case I have a Porter Cable 7424. They are mostly used for paint correction. If you don't have one, that's fine--it's doable by hand since the headlights are so small. I only recommended it because it makes life easier.
2. If you look in with the polishes and waxes there should be a product called Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. That's what I'd use instead of the M105/M205 combo.

3. Their restoration kit is decent, but it depends on which one you bought. They have several kinds:
http://autodetailingsolutions.net/pl...storation.html
I believe the first one is the one they sell at Wal-Mart, and it only includes a polishing pad, Plast-X, and a microfiber towel. It will work for applications that aren't too severe. If your headlights are close to the ones I posted then it won't work like you want it to. The only way to get rid of the fogginess is to remove the top layer by wet sanding.

Since you're starting fresh, here's what I'd recommend buying from Wal-Mart:
-Foam applicators (3 at a minimum)
-Plast-X
-Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
-1000/2000 grit sandpaper
-Masking Tape

Last edited by mblouir; 01-02-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:35 AM
I think he meant that "asking a dumb question was nothing new to him"....Self sarcasm, so to speak.
Good post, btw...my two 95's are destined for this soon.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by S-crew03
I think he meant that "asking a dumb question was nothing new to him"....Self sarcasm, so to speak.
Good post, btw...my two 95's are destined for this soon.
Gotcha. I re-read it and it makes sense.

Thanks, hopefully it helps!

Old 01-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Yep I was making fun of myself sorry for the confusion. Thanks for the help. I will look for the compound.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:43 AM
I know this will take the yellowing out, but I have a Nissan sentra that because of country roads and low ride height the lenses have a bit of sand blasting on them. Will it just take a bit more work with the 1000 and 2000 grit before using the polish?

Old 01-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by sbchris
Great write up. A word of caution, this does not work on all vehicles.

My friend read of these write ups and tried this on his BMW X5. This did not work and ended up costing him an arm, leg, kidney, and lung for a new light. Some higher end brands coat the lights with who knows what. I checked out his head light after he did the job and it was strange to say the least!

I'm sure we don't have to worry about this with our domestic cars though.
I used a kit, purchased from wal mart for $20 CV Crystal View, and used it on my dodge, passat, and my friends BMW. it actually works on any plastic headlights, it will not work, of course, on glas headlights.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by icedemon
I know this will take the yellowing out, but I have a Nissan sentra that because of country roads and low ride height the lenses have a bit of sand blasting on them. Will it just take a bit more work with the 1000 and 2000 grit before using the polish?
Yeah I'd guess some more work with the 1000 grit. No matter how much you work it, though, I doubt you'll go through the lens. Go to town.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:57 PM
I just walked in from restoring my wifes 2003 Honda Civic lights and they look great. Awesome write up Matt! Now that I've practiced I'm heading back out to start my truck =)

Old 01-19-2010, 04:27 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
A note - the clear coat isn't essential - PlastX has UV protection and the lenses should stay clear if you redo the PlastX from time to time. The kit I use gives you a foam pad for a drill to do the PlastX and a wool pad to do the compound.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by EVIL_SVT
I just walked in from restoring my wifes 2003 Honda Civic lights and they look great. Awesome write up Matt! Now that I've practiced I'm heading back out to start my truck =)
Good deal, Adam. Did you take any before/after pics? I'd love to see some added here for those that do it.

Originally Posted by glc
A note - the clear coat isn't essential - PlastX has UV protection and the lenses should stay clear if you redo the PlastX from time to time. The kit I use gives you a foam pad for a drill to do the PlastX and a wool pad to do the compound.
I saw your comment in the other thread--I didn't realize PlastX has the UV protectant. Thanks for the note--I edited it into the original post.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:25 PM
I will email some pictures to you hopefuly they are ok. I took them with my iPhone.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:03 PM

Just toss 'em on in here. I'm sure the before and afters are great.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:31 PM
I took this one right after I installed my Spectre CAI but it's the only before I have of the yellow lights. This is about a week before the restore was done.

these are the afters... the pictrues don't do it justice they look like brand new lights.

Now I have to figure out how to remove the lower fog/driving lights to get them nice and clear again.

Thanks for the help Matt!

Quick Reply: Headlight Restoration How-To