Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Spark Plug Change on 2004-Early 2008 5.4 3V

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
With the early 08s. The way to tell is if the coils are brown instead of black. If brown, you have the new, one piece plug design.
Thanks now I have a way of figuring it out.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:19 AM
I have a 2007 with just over 42K and did my plugs a month ago. I bought the lisle tool to have on hand just in case and a 9/16 standard spark plug socket. After warming up my engine to normal operating temp (I knew it would cool by the time I had the coil packs off) I shut it down and pulled the battery cables (safety first), pulled the coil packs and the computer from the firewall. I gave about a 3 second burst of PB Blaster down all the plug holes. Then I used my rachet and cracked each plug about 1/16 of a turn. Then let it sit for 15 minutes. Then I snugged the plugs back in and then backed them out to 1/8 of a turn and again waited 15. Repeated the same procedure only backed them out to 1/4 of a turn and waited another 15. If any were overly tight I stopped. Then I snugged them back up and used a 3/8" impact wrench with my compressor set to around 75 lbs and the power setting on the impact at half. It was enough that if I grabbed the socket I could just barely not stop it. Then backed out the plugs. Every one came with no problems. Heads didn't strip at all (no aluminum filings around my plug threads). If I remember right on the very rear plugs I used my air rachet due to clearance. It sort of impacts as it goes as well. Every plug was wet around the shield so that let me know the PB blaster was working its way in there and doing the job. Many of the plugs had deteriorating tips were the gap was off. I used the champion plug and used a light film of standard antisieze around the shield and dropped them in. I've got about 1000 miles on the plugs now and no misfires and it runs like a champ-ion. For me the impact method was no scarier than the standard wrench. I have broken far more bolts with torque bars than I have with impacts and with it on low power I figured I'd take the risk and it paid off. Still took about 3-4 hours to complete the job.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:51 PM
I was wondering what type of spark plug did you put back into your truck cause i went out and bought the champion 7989 and wanted to know if they'll work just as well as the motorcraft performance wise. Called around to a couple of local small auto shops and everyone has told me to put back in the motorcraft but just make sure to add antiseize on the lower shank of the plug.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkReign89
I was wondering what type of spark plug did you put back into your truck cause i went out and bought the champion 7989 and wanted to know if they'll work just as well as the motorcraft performance wise. Called around to a couple of local small auto shops and everyone has told me to put back in the motorcraft but just make sure to add antiseize on the lower shank of the plug.
Some have used the Champions with no problems. A few have reported back that they had early plug failure and pulled the Champions. Most of us are going back with Motorcrafts and using NICKEL anti sieze on the shank. It keeps the carbon from building up. Do a search using the word Champion.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:27 PM
very nice i am a ford tech in training i work for mcree ford and these plugs are a pain to change the design sucks over all

Old 07-06-2010, 10:47 PM
GREETING TRUCK MANIAC ....

READING THE MESSAGE THAT I HAVE A LOT I SEE GOOD LUCK
I CHANGE THE SPARK OF MY TRUCK
And did not break any
AND WAS MY FIRST TIME
CONVERSE WITH MECHANICAL AND THEN TOLD ME
THAT HE HAD GOOD LUCK
GOOD LUCK FOR MY BEGINNER
I have read several messages that have great difficulty THESE CHANGES SPARK................

Old 07-17-2010, 01:24 AM
Technical Article Contributor
)

Last edited by Maxwell881; 07-22-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:40 PM
I can't help but wonder if i were to turn the truck over, would the compression blow them out? Or loose?

Old 08-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Phooey
I can't help but wonder if i were to turn the truck over, would the compression blow them out? Or loose?
A few have done that.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Replaced my spark plugs about a month ago, make sure that the engine is dead cold do not warm up the engine because it will make the aluminum head warm up and expand which is worse for taking the spark plugs out; didn't have a problem had a few that felt like they were starting to hang up but took my time, broke the spark plug loose about an eigth of a turn filled the spark plug up to the nut with carb cleaner (make sure you dont use any more carb cleaner than that cause you can hydrolock the engine) loosened them up tightened them down a little then loosened them up more then tightened down a little, did that all the way out. Worked like a charm make sure you take your time and don't rush the carb cleaner let it sit for atleast 20 minutes. Also make sure to get the 9/16th swivel spark plug socket helps a lot. Make sure to go to your local ford dealership and spend the 25 bucks on the nickel antisieze worth the money so you don't have to worry about taking them out the next time. All in all be patient took about 3 hours to do worth taking the time to not pay a shop, heard that a shop had to pull the entire engine out to get to the 4th spark plug that broke so just take your time and dont rush the process. I put champion 7989 spark plugs in seem to be working just as well as the motorcraft but just dont over tighten the spark plugs hand tighten with extension and then turn about an eigth of a turn more with the ratchet, any more than that has been reported to break the new plugs.

Last edited by DarkReign89; 08-23-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:58 PM
For what it's worth Champion makes a special plug for the Ford v8.It's a one piece plug and dose'nt break.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
With the early 08s. The way to tell is if the coils are brown instead of black. If brown, you have the new, one piece plug design.
So there is a chance my 2008 may have solid one piece plugs?

Last edited by dos0711; 06-03-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by dos0711
So there is a chance my 2008 may have solid one piece plugs?
As stated, check the color of the boots on top of the plugs. That will tell you.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Here's the diff on the plugs....
Left is brown boot.....Right is black boot...

The left is considered a standard one piece design....traditional style

Old 06-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Damn shame they didn't use the left ones from the start...

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Change on 2004-Early 2008 5.4 3V