Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How to add KC lights behind 04-09 grill "Step by Step"!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010 | 03:36 PM
Thanks guys for the time and skill put into this post i will definatlly be doing this to my truck and it should be easy with all the pictures and step by step instructions. Its good to know there's people out there that take so much pride in there ford F-150

Old 01-23-2010 | 07:29 PM
Skip,

I hadn't noticed your post, but great job! I wonder if the original setup you mentioned is the one in my sig below. The original pictures were deleted by the site for some reason when the site was sold. I ended up re-posting them last year. In any case, thanks for sharing!

Tom

Old 01-24-2010 | 09:28 AM
|
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by 2stroked
Skip,

I hadn't noticed your post, but great job! I wonder if the original setup you mentioned is the one in my sig below. The original pictures were deleted by the site for some reason when the site was sold. I ended up re-posting them last year. In any case, thanks for sharing!

Tom
Tom;
Yes I do believe it was you post that I saw!! Glad to here that its up and running again! My post was designed to take someone step by step thru the process. With the great addition from Rob; I think that we all have shared the ideas of how to build a better "mouse trap"!

Thanks for your great idea Tom that started this hole process!

Skip

Old 01-30-2010 | 05:35 PM
This is a great write up and a mod I plan on making HOWEVER has anyone done this with a billet grill yet? How is the light output?

This is the front of my truck and I would really like to add these lights considering I have no fogs.

Old 01-31-2010 | 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by XPerties
This is a great write up and a mod I plan on making HOWEVER has anyone done this with a billet grill yet? How is the light output?

This is the front of my truck and I would really like to add these lights considering I have no fogs.

I know a fella who did this mod with a Silverado and a billet grill. It looked pretty good, the all-reflective stainless grill helped with the reflecting of the light which made driving lights awesome as fog lights. Personally, even if I had a billet grill I'd still do the mod because it's SUPER cheap to do! Parts are VERY inexpensive for the bracket itself, and the bulk of the payment will go to lights. It's either that or get a new bumper with the lights (which could run you quit the penny).

Old 02-01-2010 | 12:11 AM
Truck of the Month
Great write up!! I'm definatley gonna have to do this to my truck..

Can someone post some pictures of how you made the connection to the headlight high beam, what connector you used, what color the high beam wire is.. etc.. Just some more detail on the wiring would be much appreciated..

Also.. Should i go with fog or driving lights..

Thanks.

Old 02-01-2010 | 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by tg150
Great write up!! I'm definatley gonna have to do this to my truck..

Can someone post some pictures of how you made the connection to the headlight high beam, what connector you used, what color the high beam wire is.. etc.. Just some more detail on the wiring would be much appreciated..

Also.. Should i go with fog or driving lights..

Thanks.
Personally, I wired mine to a toggle switch. I felt it would be better suited that way so I can run my lowbeams, stock fog lights, and my driving lights that way. Also my driving lights aren't aimed very high, just aimed toward the sides. But as for tapping to your highbeams, I'd only advise it if you are looking to get driving lights, and not fog lights, since they are for two different purposes. As for whether or not to go with fog lights or driving lights, it depends on what you need it for. Since you already have low and high beams, I'd invest in fog lights. But if you do a lot of night driving I'd go with driving lights.

Old 02-02-2010 | 03:13 PM
I have an 07 XLT it does not have the honeycomb grill like the ones pictured. Has anyone built one for the standard grill. I like the looks of my grill with the chrome but would really like additional lighting!

Old 02-02-2010 | 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by hessmess
I have an 07 XLT it does not have the honeycomb grill like the ones pictured. Has anyone built one for the standard grill. I like the looks of my grill with the chrome but would really like additional lighting!
What kind of grill is on your truck? Is it the bar-type grill like on the FX4's? You can do a search and find trucks that have lights behind those grills. I've seen a couple like that, it does light up but not as much as a honeycomb or billet grill.

Old 02-03-2010 | 01:24 PM
I'm doing mine now but I just had to post this.

I was up at Advanced Auto Parts and they had (right next to KC lights) 100w Pilot off road light kit, chrome housing, double front housing light set for $24 bucks. The manager said he thinks it's a misprint in price but all advanced auto parts were selling them for the same price.

If you put them next to a KC they look identical and for 1/4 the price, why not?

Oh and on top of it the manager said he had an extra single by itself and offered it to me for $10 bucks. I said $8 and he said sold. So I'll be doing a triple install.

Old 02-03-2010 | 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by XPerties
I'm doing mine now but I just had to post this.

I was up at Advanced Auto Parts and they had (right next to KC lights) 100w Pilot off road light kit, chrome housing, double front housing light set for $24 bucks. The manager said he thinks it's a misprint in price but all advanced auto parts were selling them for the same price.

If you put them next to a KC they look identical and for 1/4 the price, why not?

Oh and on top of it the manager said he had an extra single by itself and offered it to me for $10 bucks. I said $8 and he said sold. So I'll be doing a triple install.
SWEET DEAL! I wish I would have found something like that for my truck instead of $60 for a pair of lights with only 55w bulbs and cheap wiring. Hope to see pix, and lots of them!!!

Old 02-03-2010 | 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by phattacorider
SWEET DEAL! I wish I would have found something like that for my truck instead of $60 for a pair of lights with only 55w bulbs and cheap wiring. Hope to see pix, and lots of them!!!

Yeah, a buddy of mine is on his way up to grab the other box they had. Unfortunately after reviewing everything there no way I can do 3 and make it centered BUT 2 is fine for me. I'll have an extra one for the hell of it.

BTW "ALL" Advanced Auto Parts are selling them for the same price so if you have one next to you stop by and grab them.

Oh and these are the brand:
http://www.andysautosport.com/gmc/19...o00164468.html

Model NV-802CP

Old 02-03-2010 | 05:20 PM
Hey guys,

A relay didn't come with my kit, what type of relay would you recommend for 2 100w lights?

Old 02-04-2010 | 08:24 AM

Any 40A relay would work. Most if not all lighting kits come with a 40A relay anyway.

Old 02-04-2010 | 02:03 PM
After finishing mine I'm thinking the steel used should have been 1"x1/4"x48"

I know you can make the braces as noted in this thread but having only done 2 light it would be a long stretch. I'm going to wait till dark and adjust them and see how they are while driving.

For those who used 1"x1/8"x48" (Thread starter), do you notice any major light wobble while driving on roads? (and also off road)?

Quick Reply: How to add KC lights behind 04-09 grill "Step by Step"!