Boar's Hair Wash Brush

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do boar's hair brushes cause fine scratches?

Has anyone had any bad experiences using a boar's hair brush to wash the exterior? ie: very fine scratches?

Last edited by chknbone; 12-20-2002 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:32 PM
If you use the real hair boar stuff it's really expensive. I have never experienced washing a car with the stuff. It is very soft and very fine. We use a Lambswool to wash my dad;s black F-250. It does a really nice job. I don't have any experience with hair boar. But it does get expensive

Old 12-21-2002, 01:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brushes are hard to safely use.

I have found the best thing to use is a 100% cotton wash mit.

I'm currently working on testing out sea sponges but the ones I've got now I'm not liking too much.

I'm tried Microfiber mits and they suck. I've tried synthetic sponges and they scratch the paint easily! I've tried synthetic brushes and they grab dirt and make it scratch the paint. A boar's hair brush could do the same thing.

Old 12-21-2002, 03:06 PM
100% cotton washmit

i'd be too afraid to use a brush

Old 12-21-2002, 04:59 PM
I just used a brush at a car wash and got a few fine scratches in my paint. I hate taking my truck to the car wash, but I have no other choice in the winter months. I waxed them out the best I could. But you can still barely tell they are there. BRUSHES SUCK!

Old 12-21-2002, 05:05 PM
hey peacemaker, why don't you just take a wash mit to the car wash with you and not use their brush? in the wintermonths i have to use the carwash also, but the only thing i use there is their water. i bring my own bucket with soap and my own washmit, and just use the water from the carwash. or even if they dont' allow any bucket washing, just rinse the truck down, then use the soap thing and spray it down with the soapy water, then use the wash mit instead of the brush and rinse it off. doesn't take any longer than using their brush

Old 12-21-2002, 05:08 PM
I'll give her a try next time. Thanks!

Old 12-21-2002, 06:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Got one and love it.

I got one a few years back. Paid a mint for it from an auto catalog.

Used it without problmes on my last truck Dark Metalic Blue, no scratches. Still use one on my Silver Car, Truck and Motorcycle.

Don't understand why they are hard to use, you just need to use the same common sense as using a wash mitt
If you drag it through some dryed on dirt, you need to take the time to clean it thoroughly, again same care as using a mitt.

I think I got it from either Herrington or AutoSport, it was from a place in NH I think.
They are expensive, but IMHO they are worth their weight in gold.
It seems to do a lot better job at cleaning the paint then a wash mitt,

Just remember common sense rules here, don't use it on your rims, same as a wash mitt.

Old 12-22-2002, 09:38 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Harley#356
... in the wintermonths i have to use the carwash also, but the only thing i use there is their water. i bring my own bucket with soap and my own washmit, and just use the water from the carwash. or even if they dont' allow any bucket washing...
HA! I do the exact same thing however; I've been 'banned' from one of my local car washes for the doing it (hence, there was a 'no bucket washing sign' posted). The owner showed up while I was doing it and told me that I could finish up but, he didn't ever want to see me in there again. Not sure why he got so torked. The wash was empty and it was at night. You'd think he'd want the extra couple of bucks that he made simply selling compressed air/water. Oh well, his loss.

RP

Old 12-22-2002, 10:59 AM
that sucks. THe owner has stopped up at the carwash here quite a few times when i was up there. a couple times when i was bucketwashing wtih a line of cars waiting. i thought he'd be POed, but he was a huge Harley Fan, and had a bunch of HD stickers on his truck and owned a few bikes, and he loved my truck, so he doesn't really mind
During the winter he "accidently" turns the warm water off but if he's up there when i'm washing my truck, he'lll turn it on for me. LoL

Old 12-23-2002, 08:16 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lucky you... I just got asked if I knew how to read english as the bastard pointed to his 'no bucket washing' sign...

LOL! Needless to say, I'm not going back! I found a much nicer one that has hot water 24/7 during the winter! ... and no 'no bucket wash' sign!

RP

Old 01-08-2003, 11:07 AM
Thanks for all the input. I had gotten a brush back in October for my birthday and I love using it because it's 12" long and really seems to cut down on wash time. But recently under the right lights I can see the fine spiderweb scratches that I thought I had gotten rid of in the spring with a buffer. I know it's time to polish again, but I was just curious if the scratches were new from using the boar's hair or if they were the same ones from before and the polish was just gone. Which leads to another question...does a polish just cover up fine scratches with fillers or does a polish actually get rid of them?

I did a search on these msg boards and think I've found my answer to the polish question: It depends on the polish. I should use one with mild abrasives (like Meguire's #9) to get rid of the scratches and one without (Meguire's #7) for afterward.

chknbone

PS - I just used Megquire's #7 and #9 because they seem to be the easiest to contrast for the example I gave. I'm actually going to do a search on what Intel suggest/uses....

Last edited by chknbone; 01-08-2003 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:31 PM
RockPick:

I know what you mean and these ****** that own the car wash that won't let you use a bucket. It's not like they are loosing any money, you still have to pay to rinse etc. They are usally the type that don't give a SHI* about their own car/truck to begin with or they would understand.

I really couldn't use a bucket if I wanted to in the winter back here. Somtimes its damn cold just washing the truck with gloves on. I usally wash it real good with the soap then rinse then take it through the "touchless" wash and it does a great job.

When I do wash it's always with 100% cotton sponge.

Harley probabely gets away with washing his with the bucket because he probabely has like 3 or 4 guys show up riding their Hogs, so the owner doesn't even think about messing with any of them... Then again Harley may look like a big Bear or something..

Old 01-08-2003, 03:49 PM
Harley probabely gets away with washing his with the bucket because he probabely has like 3 or 4 guys show up riding their Hogs, so the owner doesn't even think about messing with any of them...

na, most of the time he's not there, but when he is he just seems to ask me stupid questions about my truck, like why don't i get a reciever hitch and that kind of stuff. I'm like, its a friggin lowered 2wd sport truck, and i dont tow anything at all ever, what would be the point?

Then again Harley may look like a big Bear or something..
O yeah, i'm a beast! all 6' 1" and 170 lbs of me

Old 01-08-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Harley#356
O yeah, i'm a beast! all 6' 1" and 170 lbs of me
LOL...

By the way how's your Zaino holding up? Mine is doing great so far. It's been about 4 1/2 months since the last time I was able to put a coat on it and still looks damn good...

Quick Reply: Boar's Hair Wash Brush