Salt

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Salt

Finally had some significant winter storms and the new Screw is covered in salt. I know this has been discussed before, but I have a few questions.

Since we're expecting another storm tomorrow (actually a series of them over the next week), I'm hesitant to give it an all out washing, just to have it covered again tomorrow or the next day. How long is too long to have salt on the body/undercarriage? Also, can I get away with a thorough rinsing or do I need to completely wash it?

Lastly, what wax gives the best protection from this crap, and will last for most of the winter?

Thanks

Old 12-19-2002, 03:53 PM
I know what your talking about I HATE the salt. I don't know the answer to how long is to long. If it is below frezznig, 32 degrees, then you have nothing to worry about since there will not be moisture in the air (it will be ice). If there are more storms coming, where if you wash it tonight and then more salt tomorrow it is kind of a waste. I try not to leave the salt on any longer then I have to, but if there is a storm right after another then I wait and do it when there done salting.

As far as a good rinse compared to a good wash, I would say you want a good wash, any salt left behind is bad. Granted it will be deluted, and take a bit longer to create rust where ever it can, but never the less if there is any salt its a bad thing.

When we do have a storm and then another possible the next day I will just go to the car wash and rinse it good with soap to try and get as much off as I can. When I know there won't be another storm for a few days or longer, or the temp is going to be above frezzing then I go for the total wash the best I can.

Old 12-19-2002, 06:59 PM
i use Meguairs gold class wax pretty much year round. Put about 3 coats on just before winter hits and youll be fine. Wax not only prevents salt from damaging your trucks finish it helps it to look alot cleaner when you wash it in the winter. I use the car wash 2-3 times a week regardless of if it snows or not--i want the salt off my finish. Id rather pay $.50 and hose the truck off then let it sit over nite with salt on it.
just my .02

Old 12-19-2002, 09:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In a salt corrosion resistance test Diamond Plus' Sealant got the highest score. TST 5000 was right below it. Mother's and Meguiar's waxes were in the bottom 50%. Liquid Glass did pretty well. In the top 50%

I can't find any info on their webpage but you have to call them to order stuff anyway. You can email them at info@detailplus.com or call at 1-800/284-0123

Last edited by Intel486; 12-19-2002 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:21 AM
Thanks Intel,

Another couple questions: How easy/hard is Diamond Plus' Sealant to apply/buff? At what temperature should it be applied (I'm sure it says on the label)? What kind of finish does it leave compared to some of the other waxes/sealants?

Thanks Again

Old 12-20-2002, 01:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SLCScrew
Thanks Intel,

Another couple questions: How easy/hard is Diamond Plus' Sealant to apply/buff? At what temperature should it be applied (I'm sure it says on the label)? What kind of finish does it leave compared to some of the other waxes/sealants?

Thanks Again
It is really easy to put on and take off. Not sure what temp. Low temp will only slow down cure time so you'll just have to leave it on longer. If you need to leave it on 30mins to cure normally, then you may have to leave it on an hour or two before buffing.

It gives a nice, hard shine. It doesn't give a carnauba type shine. If you are only going for protection, then do the Diamond Plus Sealant and put some carnauba wax over it for the carnauba type shine.

Old 12-20-2002, 03:26 PM
Thanks again. If the weather ever breaks around here I'll give it a shot.

Trending Topics

Old 12-30-2002, 01:42 PM
Just to clear up my answer. A great wax is NOT the only thing you have to worry about. Myself I am using Zaino on the paint and it will work great at protecting the paint. However even Zaino or any other great wax will NOT protect your truck, no matter how many coats of wax, if you get a tiny rock chip in the paint.

I thought your questions was in regards to salt on your truck (i.e. the entire truck, paint, undercarrage, frame, etc).

It's one thing to protect the paint, but do NOT feel safe from rust just because the PAINT is protected. Usally, there are alot of other things that will start rusting well before your paint, waxed or not.

During winter and salting WASH on a regular basis as often as possible. Weekly would be a good point to start at. You want to insure you get the pressure washer up under the truck, around the fender wells, frame, anywhere that the salt is you want to try your best to wash off. You WILL one day see the areas you missed washing the salt off, or just let go.

The key thing to remember is if there is salt on the road and your driving in it FORGET about wax or anything else protecting your truck, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wash on a regular basis to get the salt of EVERYTHING, that is the ONLY way to insure you keep rust to the very mimumin.

Quick Reply: Salt