What, ME confused?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What, ME confused?

Guess ya could tell I don't know the first thing about waxes, etc.Let me throw out a couple a questions here:

1. What is claybar and how is it used?. Will it remove the clearcoat from my 2003 SCab?

2.Do I need a wax remover if I use the claybar?

3. I know I need an orbital buffer but what kind of wax do y'all think is best.

4. Anything after the wax? How about soap for washing? I see some has wax mixed in with it.

5. I want my F150 to outshine all the others around here.

6. Truck is brand new, so no mods (yet)

Old 01-15-2003, 09:44 PM
I know the answer to some of these!

The clay bar is used to remove contaminates from your paint/clearcoat. You use it to give your truck a smooth to the touch feel. Used according to instructions it will not remove your clearcoat.

To remove wax, which you want to do before you use the claybar, wash the truck with dawn dishwashing liquid. It will strip the wax.

Don't know anything about buffers!

The best wax, there are two or three that most say are very good. Liquid glass, Zaino, and Cherry Wet Wax.

While I know this stuff, if you saw my truck right now, you wouldn't think so, it is a mess!!!

Old 01-15-2003, 10:30 PM
If you want it to outshine anything and last the longest with the best possible protection then go with the Zaino. I have tried a few different waxes/polishes and nothing has come close to Zaino for shine and durability.

I haven't put a coat on for a good 4 - 5 months now, and we have had a pretty good winter with LOTS of road salt, its been washed approx. 20 - 25 times and still have a great shine, still beads water, and people ask how do I polish it in 20 weather. I dont...

You can find Zaino at zainobros.com

Old 01-15-2003, 10:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't need an orbital buffer but it'll take a lot longer to do it by hand.

For the best shine don't even think about wax. You need to be thinking about how you will prep the surface. Get a scratch remover like Eagle One Scratch Remover to use on all scratches. Meguiar's DACP for heavier cobweb swirls and removal of light oxidations, and then Meguiar's #9 to shine the paint up and get that clear coat crystal clear. Many show people will follow up with a glaze before waxing their vehicle. I'm in the process of testing glazes right now to find a good one. Mother's Sealer & Glaze seems to be doing really well right now. One Grand Omega Glaze also seems to work very well.

For wax you have many many choices. I'm going to say go with the wax you like to use. In the final shine wax hardly does anything. The main things for getting the best shine are paint quality, clear coat thickness, paint color, and surface prep (polishing). If those are all in line, then waxing is only about 10% of the whole thing.

My personal favorites waxes right now are Super Shine Power Shine - supershinedetail.com or something like that - It goes on easily and comes off easily and gives a really nice shine.

Klasse Sealant Glaze - Klassdirect.com - It is great on dark colors. It lasts awhile and gives the look more like a carnauba than a synthetic. Looks great on dark colors because it can darken the color of the paint making it deeper and richer. Great when topped with P21S.

P21S Concours Paste Wax - This stuff is awesome. It goes on easily and comes pretty easily. Just have to watch for streaking. It really darkens the paint. I could tell a difference between the places I had waxed and hadn't waxed. It doesn't have good durability though. Lasts less than a month. Great for topping Klasse Sealant Glaze.

P-73 Profection from prowax.com - This is a amino-functional polymer. It goes on easily and can be left on for a long period of time and it still wipes off easily. Gives a nice, hard shine. Lasts over 4 months.

Quick Reply: What, ME confused?