Headlight bulb installation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 02:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Headlight bulb installation?

I'm going to be putting in some new headlight bulbs and I've never had to change the bulbs on my truck yet. How exactly do you change them? Do you just pull out the clips and the socket on the back of the headlights, or do you have to take out the headlight itself? If someone could give me the steps of changing the bulbs I would really appreciate it. I want to know what I'm doing before I get my new bulbs and bother changing them. Thanks!!!

Old 01-21-2003, 02:21 AM
above each headlight assembly, thier are two black pull tabs. Pull each one out (not out as in out, but up about an inch or so) then procede to push/pull the headlight assembly out. (if never been done before, might be a bit tight) as you get the assembly out, unplug the wires from the bulb area, then procede to screw out or pull or something to get the bulb out. BE SHURE AND DONT TOUCH THE BULB GLASS WITH YOUR SKIN. if so, a microfiber towl will get it clean and virgin again. Once in, do everything in reverse. Might take a bit of work to get the pull tabs back down, but will work into place.

the directions were from watching a member do this, but I think I watched good enough to learn.

Old 01-21-2003, 04:58 AM
Use a microfiber towel to get it virgin again...HMMMM...does that work for women!LOL

Mike

Old 01-21-2003, 10:43 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
PhillipSVT,
Nailed it pretty good.

Falcon11,
If you want to review this, with drawings, manual pages 250-254 for replacing every bulb in the exterior of the truck. At lteast that is what it is in my '01 manual. Look in the index for lamp soecifications, and then the preceeding pages should have the directions.

mville656,

Wouldn't count on it

Old 01-21-2003, 06:11 PM
well, i see you have 2 of this same topic posted, so i'll just copy and paste my reply from the other one

the passenger side is just easier to do it from the back of the headlight, that way you don't have to remove the headlight. on the passenger side, just take out the corner light (one bolt on inner fender) and it'll make taking out and putting back in the headlight SOOOO much easier. then pull up both tabs back and up and pull the headlight out, swap the bulbs, and put everything back in. pretty easy job good luck!

Old 01-21-2003, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the help guys!!!

Old 01-23-2003, 06:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have found it easier to remove the corners first. Remove the headlamp assembly, replace bulb, replace assembly and then put the corners back in.

The reason why? The headlamp assembly slides into guides (guides for aim adjustment) but the assembly doersnt always want to go back into the guides. With the corners out you can move the guides about. Corners go back in very easily.

One more word about assembly removal... the black tabs that need to lift up may need a $****load of WD40 to loosen them up enough to slide up.

Quick Reply: Headlight bulb installation?