Meguiars DA Polisher, thoughts, opinions???????

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Sears

Richard

I wouldn't trade my Craftsman 10" for anything. I've tried most of the others, and Sears wins IMHO.

Old 02-28-2003, 10:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a Sears 11" bufer, it works good for taking off wax, and that is if it does not have heavy drag lines of wax.

Seems to work best when I put on wax with the DA ( in my case a Cyclo twin head ).

As for putting on wax, it doesn't hold a candle to the Cyclo or my Dad's Porter Cable.

2 different worlds, if you ever try a DA polisher, you might kick yourself for using the Sears one for putting it on all those years.

The DA cuts down on the application time.
I never believed it, until I finally broke down and bought one.

Old 02-28-2003, 11:08 AM
Ok guys you have convinced me i am old school and i guess those types of PC and Dewalt buffers have changed alot. I was under the impression that they were basically a grinder with pads put on maybe i will look into one of those. Just to let you know I have applied Meguiars polish with the orbital and have great results doing so however when it comes to the cleaner I apply it by hand ,and that i wouldnt' mind leaving to a buffer, so my question to you who are using the PC or Dewalt can you use it with the cleaner then the polish and of course i know it can be used for the wax application? Wheelguy that article you have as a link is pretty cool and I have a Griots Catalouge and they got some really really nice stuff in there. A Little pricey but man have they got some nice products.

Richard D.

Last edited by Richard D; 02-28-2003 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Richard D,

Got to watch which PC or DeWalt model number you are getting.

They make random orbit sanders, and angle grinders, 2 different actions for the head.

Dad's is the base model for the Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher ( what started out as a DA sander that he had, then he ordered the pad adapter for it ).

Take a look at a link that Intel posted awhile back, they got some decient prices for the stuff I buy for my Cyclo, and things I had never seen even from Cyclo themselves ( the Viper products ).

No DeWalt products there.

www.properautocare.com

Old 02-28-2003, 03:27 PM
Thanks Scully but i think it was Fallscrew that posted a place called www.coastaltool.com that has the same PC for about 10.00 less and it comes with some bonus items. So that is probably the way to go..

Richard D.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=2479

Old 02-28-2003, 05:03 PM
Richard D,

Yes, you can use the PC for cleaner, polish, SWR, wax, sealant.......... etc. All you have to do is pull the pad off, and press another one on there. You can write on the velcro which product you used it for, so you don't get them mixed up!

Don't feel bad about being old fashion. I'm the same way. I had to be dragged "kicking" and "screaming" to use MF towels rather than, or in addition to 100% cotton.............. and I'm still not convinced!

Last edited by Boss_429; 02-28-2003 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:34 PM
Thumbs up

Well after eveyone's input and a lot of online research on my part over the last few days I went ahead and purchased the PC from www.coastaltool.com for 124.00 delivered to my door. One of the main things i liked about it is www.griots.com offers a claybar system that can be used with the PC and that will save a ton of time. I would like to know from everyone that is using the PC what are you using to remove the wax and polish,Griots has some nice terry cloth bonnets for the PC and i think that is what i will use one for polish one for wax and then just use the pad that comes with the PC and slip the bonnet over it. I will be buying Griots orange and red polish and wax applicators for it also.

Thanks for all the input guys you have converted me.

Richard D.

Old 02-28-2003, 07:10 PM
Richard D,

Glad you got the PC! However, you may want to ask around about the "clay in the pad" thing. Personally, I would advise against it. A possible swirl nightmare! I'd stick to doing the clay by hand. You'll love the PC for the other stuff though!

BTW, you may want to get the 5" Meguiar's hook & latch plate to replace the 6" that comes with the PC. It's a nice tapered plate compared to the 6" standard plate.

Old 02-28-2003, 07:15 PM
Thanks BOSS_429 go to www.griots.com and take a look at the clay it is a really nice setup no worries about swirls form what I have read becasue it is done wet and the pad holds a good amount of the fluid they use . I have been looking on Meguiars website and have been unable to find the 5" that you refer to.

Richard D.

Last edited by Richard D; 02-28-2003 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sorry to say but the clay in the Pad for orbital buffers has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Clay goes fast by hand and you need to pull it out to kneed it every panel anyways. Plus, when doing it by hand you can feel if it picks something up big. With the clay in the pad you won't.

Plus, if you have ever noticed clay does leave fine marks on the surface. Using it by machine will just make many more since you are going over an area more times than the clay need to go.

Save money, save time, save paint, do it by hand.

Old 02-28-2003, 10:26 PM
Richard D,

Yep, I've seen the clay in the pad setup. I have to agree with Intel on this one! I like to have the clay in my hand, so I can "feel" what its doing. Besides, if you don't get it, with the money you save, you can get a couple of nice pads for polishing or waxing.

Either way, good luck, and enjoy the PC!

Old 03-01-2003, 12:45 PM
Talking

Fair enough but you guys still haven't told me what you are using to remove the Polish and wax once it has dried to a haze. I am looking at a few different things that www.griots.com sells they have a set of 3 Microfiber cloths a set for Polish and a set for wax and they also sell a Wax Removal Bonnet for the PC. So is everyone using there hands and towels to remove polish,wax or are you doing it with the PC. Also BOSS_429 I can't seem to find the 5" Meguairs Hook and Loop that you refered to on there website. And did everyones PC come with a storage case. I would really like to hear from someone that may have purchased the one from www.coastaltool.com

Thanks,
Richard D.

Old 03-01-2003, 02:39 PM
Richard D,

Can't speak for everybody, but many of us remove the waxes/polishes by hand. I still prefer 100% high quality cotton towels. However, I've purchased some quality MF's, and will be trying them this year. Whichever you decide on using (or both), spend the extra money and get quality towels.

As for the pads, Groits has some nice ones, but I think they are a little over-priced. Anyhow here's a link to some pads/plates you might want, and the people there are really nice to do business with. If you have questions, ask them, and they will be glad to help.

http://www.premiumautocare.com/buffers.html

You can also drop by their detailing forum if you have more questions, or just want to pick up another tip or two.
Here's that link:

http://www.detailcity.com/index.php

Hope this helps

Old 03-01-2003, 02:44 PM
Oh yea, one more thing............ I don't believe the PC at coastal comes with a case. You need to buy that extra.

Old 03-01-2003, 02:46 PM
Thanks
BOSS_429 like you I have always used 100% Terry Cloth towels to remove the polish and wax i just wanted to know what everyone else has been using. I myself buy them in bulk from Costco and use them for all kinds of stuff from Cleaning rags around the house to Polish and wax removal and many other things as well. Thansk again for all the input.

Richard D.

Quick Reply: Meguiars DA Polisher, thoughts, opinions???????