Meguiars DA Polisher, thoughts, opinions???????

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will wait until i get it of course to see if it does come with one before i buy a case but ,i did however find one online at the portecable store for 25.00 www.planetportercable.com is the place. One more thing the deal at www.coastaltool.com comes witha bonus 6" Flexavble rubber backing plate like the one that come with the PC sold on Griots and a 6" pad if my memory serves me right. That's another reason i bought it form them plus there price was about 10-100 dollars less than everyone else depending on where you price it.Total with shippign only came to 126.00 for it.

Richard D.

Last edited by Richard D; 03-01-2003 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:54 PM
Yep, that a good price!

Oh yea, and one more thing!

Here's a great link on pads, and how to use the PC.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...1430487&page=1

Now your set buddy!

Old 03-01-2003, 03:03 PM
Dude what a great page looks like my rpinter will be busy for the next ten minutes or so.

Richard D.

Old 03-01-2003, 09:52 PM
OK one more question , For those of you that have the PC what brand of pads are you using ? How are the Meguiars pads if anyone is using them and then for those of you that use Meguiars polish and wax which polish and which wax are you using with the PC. Are you guys using the profesional line or Consumer Line and then exactly which numbers or names are you using?

Thanks,
Richard D.

Old 03-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Richard D
OK one more question , For those of you that have the PC what brand of pads are you using ? How are the Meguiars pads if anyone is using them and then for those of you that use Meguiars polish and wax which polish and which wax are you using with the PC. Are you guys using the profesional line or Consumer Line and then exactly which numbers or names are you using?

Thanks,
Richard D.
Pads from Properautocare.com seem to be pretty popular. I've used them before but the back plating on them seems to start to pull away from the pad eventually. Only pads I've seen this happen on.

I've heard good things about Meguiar's pads but have yet to try them.

I personally buy my pads locally from Heiden Industries. They cost $9.99 but they are cheaper than having to pay properautocare's shipping costs, which are way high.

Old 03-01-2003, 10:39 PM
Richard D,

I think most of the guys use Meguiar's professional line of products. Here's a quick run-down of a few of their products that I like:
Medallion Premium Paint cleaner
#2 Fine Cut cleaner (only with a rotary - not orbital)
Dual Action Cleaner Polish
#7 Show Car Glaze
#9 SWR
Professional Hand Polish
# 26 Paste Hi-Tech Yellow wax
Medallion Premium Paint Protection

BTW, I've heard a couple of compaints about the Meguiar's backing plate coming apart that Intel mentioned. If you talk to Dwayne at ProperAutoCare he will probably recommend the Diskit backing plate with the Meguiar's pads.

Old 03-02-2003, 01:56 AM

Awesome link Boss

Now that I have a better understanding of how to use the PC and it's capabilties I'm nearly convinced of buying it.

However, I dunno If I would want to use a wool pad on a customers car or mine for that matter, as I have zip, zero, zilch experience with a PC and pads, the most aggressive pad I would go with until I can learn to use a wool pad with DACP or something would be a lambswool pad or something along those lines. Tks again everyone

Old 03-02-2003, 08:12 AM
Glad you like the link. The guy who wrote the page is the guy that really deserves the thanks.

I agree on the wool pad. First, the wool pad really isn't a good pad for the orbital! It is much better on a rotary in the hands of a pro! Second, I've had good luck using the DACP and a foam pad.

Old 03-02-2003, 12:10 PM
Thanks again guys for all the info. BOSS_429 you made mention of the rotary and I just wanted to let you know that is what i was thinkiing of with my first post about buring the paint and did not relize the PC was an orbital. And like you said those are left to the PROS. Is anyone using the Griots pads they seem a bit expensive but appear to be a very good pad. As far as the wax and polishes go I have been using Meguiars Deep Crystal 3 step products which have given good results up to this point,so is there really that big of a diffrance over the "Pro" line other than cost and if i was to go with there polish and wax in th pro line that would be the # 7 Show Car Glaze for my Polish or the #3 Machine Polish and then #26 High tech yellow wax? And yes the guy who put together all that info deserves a thanks so
THANKS!

Richard D. Converted PC user

Old 03-02-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Boss_429
Glad you like the link. The guy who wrote the page is the guy that really deserves the thanks.

I agree on the wool pad. First, the wool pad really isn't a good pad for the orbital! It is much better on a rotary in the hands of a pro! Second, I've had good luck using the DACP and a foam pad.
The wool pad with the PC is safe. It works well and isn't the same type of wool pad used with a rotary. The fibers on the pad are extremely fine. The wool pads used on rotary buffers are twisted strand pads. The wool fibers are very large and agressive. They kind of look like Yarn where as the fibers on the wool pad for the PC kind of looks like the fibers on a synthetic wash mitt; very thin.

You also use the wool pad for the PC as a backing if you ever use a Microfiber bonnet.

Old 03-02-2003, 02:51 PM
I hold a grudge against bonnets LOL! I've had experience with them.

When I was about 16, I worked for a good friend of the family busniess. He runs a business in Masonry contracting, so his truck gets extrmely dirty and I washed it for him on weekends to make a couple bucks on the side. Well, every now and then he would have me wax it for him and he had a 10" I think it was the size Black & Decker buffer. The terry bonnet on it kept coming off center, slipping off the buffer, and sometimes I would just say ******* it and buff off the Kit Car Wax by hand which was very difficult.

So to this day, I like pads, unless I was doing something wrong

Old 03-02-2003, 03:52 PM
More questions on Pads i have been debating tyhe Griots pads or the Properauto pads which are a bit less in cost but appear to be only 6" as aposed to Griots6-1/2" pads. Also how many of you actaully use the Yellow pads for so called cutting? Aren't those pads used on older cars without clear coat paints that really need oxidation removed? I beleive that the only pads i need for my two vehicles are the Griots Red and Orange or the Properauto's White and Grey polish and wax pads respectively?Can't i use the Polish pads with Meguiars cleaner? Can i use the white pad with the Meguiars Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner or should th yellow pad be used for that. Reading over Propers site it appears to me as thought the yellow pads are for paints that are in fairly bafd condition?

Thanks,
Richard D.

Old 03-02-2003, 04:26 PM
Richard D,

Not real familar with the Groits pads, so I'll address the Meguiar's pad from PremiumAutoCare.com. The Meguiar's pads are 6 1/2". This is how I view the Meguiars pads......... others may have a different view. They have an Orange pad which is the most aggresive and can be used with a product like Meguiars DACP to physical remove swirls marks. The Yellow pad is less aggresive, and can be used paint cleaners (like Meddalion PPC), mild polishes, glazes (like #7), and SWR (like #9). The Tan pad is the least aggressive, and is used to apply waxes or sealants.

This page (towards the bottom) defines them pretty well!

http://www.premiumautocare.com/megsofbuffoa.html

Last edited by Boss_429; 03-02-2003 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Richard D
More questions on Pads i have been debating tyhe Griots pads or the Properauto pads which are a bit less in cost but appear to be only 6" as aposed to Griots6-1/2" pads. Also how many of you actaully use the Yellow pads for so called cutting? Aren't those pads used on older cars without clear coat paints that really need oxidation removed? I beleive that the only pads i need for my two vehicles are the Griots Red and Orange or the Properauto's White and Grey polish and wax pads respectively?Can't i use the Polish pads with Meguiars cleaner? Can i use the white pad with the Meguiars Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner or should th yellow pad be used for that. Reading over Propers site it appears to me as thought the yellow pads are for paints that are in fairly bafd condition?

Thanks,
Richard D.
I've used the yellow ones before for taking off swirls, etc. in modern clear coated paint. They aren't that agressive especially when used with a Random Orbital buffer.

Old 03-02-2003, 06:08 PM
BOSS_429 here is a site that seems to have the same type of pads that the Meguiars are but of a better quality foam and they are a little less in price. I have went ahead and ordered some of them and I know the guy who wrote all the instructions seem to think these are teh best he has found. Here is the site.
www.properautocare.com

Richard D.

Quick Reply: Meguiars DA Polisher, thoughts, opinions???????