Meguiars DA Polisher, thoughts, opinions???????

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Meguiars DA Polisher, thoughts, opinions???????

I was on the Meguiars site and checked out some of ther video clips. I looked at there "Power Polishing" video

Barry was telling how safe there DA polisher is, prevent swirl marks, yada yada yada!! They had a Saleen Mustang in the in the video and my thinking is, If they can use that on a red Saleen, then it's ok to use on other reds and blacks???

Also, something else got me thinking what they said. When you use the foam pads, you don't need to wash them, just shake them out or hit them to get all excess debris out. So far, I don't see any objections of getting it. What do you all think of Meguiars DA polisher????? Tks all

Old 02-19-2003, 11:49 PM
Are you talking about the porter cable orbital ? That is the one they have on their site last time I looked. I have it and it's a great product. The other thing is you can buy it at www.coastaltool.com ALOT cheaper. It is model 7424. I do use the Meg's foam pad's which I order right from their website.

It does a great job,but using the correct product & prep work & pad is the key to a successful detailing job and a great shine.
I like Meg's product's alot too so I use them or Coats product's usually,but have a closet full of other's I have tried and not liked as much.

Fall

Old 02-20-2003, 12:27 PM
Sorry I wasn't specfic enuff, here's what I'm talking about:

http://meguiars.dailyshopper.com/lib...es/b_10_06.jpg

Old 02-20-2003, 03:35 PM
Yes, thats the porter cable 7424 with meguiars name on it.
Coastal sells it for $119 and comes with the counter weight
and hook and loop pad that you would need to use the
meguiars or cma's pads. Only diff is meguiars offers a
lifetime warranty. I went with the coastal deal. The 7424
comes with one pad that has to be screwed in. Hook and
loop is alot faster to use. I've also been told to throw away
the foam pad that comes with the 7424 by more than one
person.

Old 02-24-2003, 02:47 PM
Save yourself some money and go to Sears and buy one of there Orbital Buffers, that is what i use and it works great. I do use Meaguairs products with it also.

Richard D.

Old 02-24-2003, 05:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can buy a porter cable from Lowe's for around a $100 and then for like $50 you can order a kit from CMA (properautocare.com) that comes with an assortment of pads and a hook & loop backplate. A lot of people use the PC.

You can also buy a DeWalt Random Orbital DW443. It is what I use. It comes with a bigger motor and can go faster than the PC. Some people will say its slowest speed isn't slow enough to apply wax but that really isn't true. I actually run it faster than the slowest speed when I apply wax. Easier to get an even coat. I think I've seen it online for around $150 and it comes w/ the hook and loop pad. You'll have to order pads for it though.

Here's my DeWalt:

Old 02-24-2003, 06:08 PM
I might add, that pretty much all the DeWalt tools are excellent!

Old 02-24-2003, 07:27 PM
I'm telling you go to Sears and get there 10' Orbital Buffer for 39.99 it includes a few pads and a bonnet terry cloth and a case. You dont need one of those expensive ones. It works at 2400 OPM which is all you need for apply wax or polish. Go check it out at www.sears.com I know some of you are thinking this guy is stupid but i am just trying to save someone some money for somehitng that works just as good.

Richard D.

Old 02-26-2003, 06:03 PM
Here is a great site with info on the PC. http://www.pnw4runners.net/tando/wax/detail1.htm

Old 02-26-2003, 06:29 PM
Richard D,

Hate to dis-agree with you, but I've used both a 10" single speed buffer, and a variable speed buffer with 6 1/2" pads. The variable speed has a lot of advantages when using different type products, and the 6 1/2" pads are easier to get into tough places than the 10".

Old 02-26-2003, 07:13 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Richard that for applying wax, the 10" Craftsman will work fine. But applying/removing wax is so easy with most products that many do it by hand even if they own a ROB. Usually uses less product too. ROB is a proper tool for removing swirl marks, and a $40 one will not do it. Just not enough power.

Old 02-27-2003, 07:04 PM
DAMN RICHARD, YOU BEEN A MEMBER FOR 33 YRS HERE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! GOOD GOD DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

I still havn't decided what I wanted to do yet, Im leaning more towards the PC though. Yes I have to agree that Dewalt makes some of the best tools around. My uncle has a whole collection of them that he uses for home remodeling and in his garage at his house.

Now that I have my Prowax, I can't wait to try it out with whatever I get, my Ranger will shine like polished stainless steel, well..........maybe not quite that much but you know what I mean, lol Tks all for the replies

Old 02-27-2003, 08:11 PM
BOSS_429 yes i would agree that a 2 speed buffer like the Dewalt and the Porter Cable are more useful with regard to using Rubbing compounds and the like but for simply keeping and maintaining today's clear coat paints all that is needed is a Orbital buffer like the Craftsman 10" i use. Also if you don't know how to properly use a 2 speed you can actually cause more damge to the paint in trying to get it to look good by buring the paint and putting swirl marks in it. But for applying polish and wax you can't beat the cost of the Crafstman model.I think my truck still looks pretty good after five years.

Richard D.

Last edited by Richard D; 02-27-2003 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:21 PM
Richard, The PC & DeWalt model's are not 2 speed,they are a varible speed. There are alot of different speed setting's you can use for different type's of application. They are also pretty much idiot proof from doing any damage. I think you might be thinking of something different.
I also have 2 of Sear's polisher's . A 10" & A 7". I think your talking about the one's that have the terry cloth pull over bonnets. I give you the point's that it does make waxing easier and it is cheap,but since I have used both type's I must say there is no comparison between the 2. I use my PC all the time now. The selection of pad's is greater,the different speed selection is nicer,both of these work alot better when polishing. By the look's of your truck it's work's great,but both product's have different level's of usage. I used those type's of polisher's for many year's doing other people's car's and never had a problem exept for product failure due to it's not designed for heavy usage. It worked well for applying wax,but nor for a polish or swirl remover. I also know that when I use the PC to apply wax I can get a much thinner more even coat on it than I could with the Sears type.

I'm not knocking ya for using a Sears one , Alot of people here are more into the detailing type of stuff and along with that come different type's of product's & tool's. If ya ever get a chance to try one , do it. To be honest I did'nt like mine when I got it because I was so used to the other type & this was different. Once I got used to it, I love it. Check it out !!

Fall

Old 02-28-2003, 06:22 AM
RichardD,

Certainly can't argue with your success! Your truck looks great! I agree, the single speed buffer is certainly acceptable for applying wax. However, the variable speed orbitals with the hook & latch velcro like the PC, and DeWalt, are soooooooooooo much more versatile than the Sears model, and it's nearly impossible to do damge with one. Now, a Rotary buffer is another story altogether!

Then again, applying by hand is not to bad either. Heck, I still apply all my Zaino by hand. Here's a better quality pic with hand applied Zaino. http://home.ptd.net/~dtraver/Untitled-5.jpg I don't think it looks too bad!

Quick Reply: Meguiars DA Polisher, thoughts, opinions???????