Blue shop towels for detailing????, just a thought

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Blue shop towels for detailing????, just a thought

Just a thought, I was talking to a good buddy of mine on here and he was showing off some pics of his freshly waxed F150. He said he used those blue shop towels to remove the the wax and buff, I was like!!!!!! They are pretty soft but wouldn't they stll be kinda harsh on the clearcoat??????........91

Old 03-28-2003, 12:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like I say a lot especially on FTW, a LOT can be hidden in a picture.

Wait until you can see his truck in person.

Old 03-28-2003, 12:30 AM
swirl mark city??????? LOL! Cameras do a awesome job hiding ****, what his truck really looks like I'm sure it shines like a **** after what he used on it, but the towels I just wasn't real confident about that now 91

Old 03-28-2003, 01:04 AM
I bought a slew of "Bar Mops" at Sams Club. They are really soft cotton towels and work GREAT for almost everything on and in the truck.

Like $4 for 12 or something, so if I really get one nasty, its not too painful to toss it.

Blue shop towels, on the other hand, might be hazardous....

Old 03-28-2003, 02:14 PM
Who is this you Talk about 91?

I used to use the blue shop towels and turtle wax before I know anything, but as of the last 2 years I have used MicroFiber towel's and Meguiers. I had to use some Swirl Remover #9 I think to get it looking better.

Old 03-28-2003, 09:14 PM
Yep, spend the money and get the best towels you can buy........ 100% cotton, or high quality MF's.

Old 03-28-2003, 11:11 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ahhh... MF... the clear alternative to cotton.

By the way... MF = Microfiber... Just thought I'd clear that up for you dirty minded folks... LMAO!

Only place I use blue shop towels are on my tires.... period.

RP

Old 04-20-2003, 11:29 PM
waxing

Once you use cheese cloth, you won't want anything else.

I still stand behind that. The finished product shows

Skip

Old 04-20-2003, 11:32 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure I've heard the use of 'cheese cloth' advocated here before...

Interesting...

Anyone else tried this?

Skip, have you tried Microfiber? Any comparisons to detail for us?

RP

Old 04-21-2003, 08:09 PM
Re: waxing

Originally posted by skipster
Once you use cheese cloth, you won't want anything else.

I still stand behind that. The finished product shows

Skip
uh? what's cheese cloth ,,,,91

Old 08-26-2003, 08:31 PM
Cheese cloth is a very loose weave cotton, like a net. Intendedly used to strain the liquid out of cheese. My old man used to swear by cheese cloth for the wax and newspaper for the glass. That was in 1957. I still have some but it just sits there while I use the Microfiber.

Old 08-29-2003, 10:28 PM
damn, I forgot all about this thread, LOL! I like my cotton towels and few MF towels that I have too. Tks,,,,,91

Old 09-03-2003, 09:49 PM
microfiber towels

From the guy who has only gone to drive thru car washes:

Where do you get a microfiber towel? Is this somthing just made for car care? Why is it the way to go? ie whats better? Pardon my ignorance. (I've just never had a vehicle I cared so mcuh about til I got mytruck!)

Old 09-04-2003, 06:02 AM
Cheese cloth??????

I can't imagine using anything like that stuff on my behicle. That is what I use to polish floor tile........... It seems way too abrasive for a vehicle.

I bought a bunch of small 100% white cotton hand towels for quicky stuff and some other finishing cloths that appear to be t-shirt material that does a great job of polishing.

I would like to know some brand name or where to find some Microfiber towels..................

Old 09-04-2003, 07:18 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: microfiber towels

Originally posted by mlevy
From the guy who has only gone to drive thru car washes:

Where do you get a microfiber towel? Is this somthing just made for car care? Why is it the way to go? ie whats better? Pardon my ignorance. (I've just never had a vehicle I cared so mcuh about til I got mytruck!)
This is a quote from a web-tailer that sums it up pretty well:

Microfiber is a revolutionary man made fiber that can be processed, woven and finished in a variety of different ways to achieve a specific result. Softer than silk, yet bull-dog tough, Microfiber cloth can dry, polish, clean and buff better than any other material.

More info about MF

Where to buy? I recommend Microfibertech, Pakshak, and JT International. The all of these three are of similar high quality. The first two offer discounts if you belong to certain groups like Autopia. JT Internatioanl does not have a web page. You just communicate via e-mail. Request a price list of the owner's (Tom Gong) current inventory and he'll send a reply promptly. His prices are significantly better than those listed at the two web sites I linked, but they offer competitive prices to "group members". You can also purchase microfiber towels at many places like Walmart and auto parts stores. Generally, their quality is not as good. They are good enough for some things, but the consensus is that they should not touch painted car surfaces. Good enough for household cleanings, windows, car interior, etc.

There are two basic varieties, terry and waffleweave. The fibers are wooven differently and the appearance is difference. Waffleweave is great for water absorbtion, but not as soft as terry.

Now my personal expeience/opinion. Nothing beats MF for car detailing. It is almost all I use. I do not know anyone who has used MF that cares to go back to cotton, chamois, water blade, etc. I know friends/others that have sworn they are perfectly happy with their towels until I give them a sample or let them try MF. The just work better in almost all applications.

Quick Reply: Blue shop towels for detailing????, just a thought