APT's Unsolicited Zaino info & tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 09:48 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
APT's Unsolicited Zaino info & tips

Sping is here and lots of people like me are probably itching to get to work detailing their cars. Last spring, I headed a Zaino group buy for another car forum (CEG). Throughout the process, I was asked many questions on which products to buy and any advice since many were intimidated by the Zaino web site. So, I gathered a bunch of tips and sent them out to anyone who asked. Last week, I was asked in another forum via PM for any tips I had and retyped them up. I thought some people may find them useful in the F-150 community as well so I'm going to repost them. Fee free to add your own tips or techniques.

Steps:

0: work in the shade, garage, tree, or cloudy day.

1: Wash with dish soap and warm water to remove dirt, and any old wax.

2: Clay bar, assuming Z-18 which is a good bar. You get two bars in a container of Z-18 so the price is actually fair compared to other good bars. Use - pour half a capful of Z7 into a bowl or bucket, add warm water. Use a small clean towel, or wash mitt to lubricate the surface you will work on. Work in small sections. The most important thing for claying is that you have enough lubrication. That, and don't drop the bar. As you rub the clay across the wet/soapy surface, you will feel it smooth out, and slide across with ease. That's when you know that section is done. It is quite obvious once you get started. Continue for the whole car. If the clay gets too dirty, stretch it and flip it over to use a clean side. Stretching and kneading it inside out will make it last longer. When you are done, you'll probably have dried soap on the car, so take your towel, or wash mitt and go over the car quickly and rinse. Then dry the car.

3: Remove swirls if you have any. Zaino makes no products to do this despite what Z5 says. Meguiars #9 2.0 is good and availible at many local auto parts stores. If you have a lot and plan to do it by hand, prepare for tired arms and a lot of time. Basically, you put the polish on a pad (foam or cotton Zaino pad works too), rub in in sraight lines on the car until the polsih breaks down and almost disappears. Then wipe it with a clean towel. Examine and repeat as necessary, or continue to next section. This topic can be expanded a great deal depending on the condition of your paint.

4: Depending on what product you used to remove swirls, you should wash again. Z7 is fine here. Whenever you using Z7 soap, use a very small amount. Put about 2 capfuls of Z7 into the bucket, then add the water. Do not add soap to water as there will not be as many suds. You'll get crazy suds from just that small amount. Highly concentrated stuff. I still use it because I have a lot, it works great, and it smells like buble gum.

4.5: Trick/Tip - go over the car with Z6. It will make the surface super slick and ensure no water spots are under the layers of Ziano. Using Z6, spray some on an applicator pad, then rub it on the paint. Use a towel to buff it off. Do not let Z6 dry to the paint.

5: Apply Z1 if you bought it. Use a pad, either Zaino or other (I generally use foam ones). Keep your applicator damp with either Z6 or water. This will help you use less Z2/Z5 per coat. I can get about 3-4 coats per ounce of Zaino on my F-150. Do not remove Z1 if you used it!

6: Apply Z2 or Z5. Both work the same way, just your choice. Do this right over top of the Z1. Actaully, Z1 should mostly disappear by the time you get back to the start for Z2/Z5. Same as Z1, apply with a damp applicator for thin, even coats. A couple reasons for thin coats. 1, it dries quicker which is important when not using ZFX. 2, thin coats are much easier to remove. Zaino is one of the easiest products to remove. However, I hear many people complain about how hard it was for them, just to find out they used a whole ounce for one coat. This is the key to know how much Z2/Z5 is enough. If you can see white (or pink or whatever color the Z2/Z5 are), you used too much. You just want to leave a haze over the surface. It can get very difficult to determine where you have applied thin coats to dark cars. So, if there is a milky substance left on the surface when you are applying, you used too much. Keep wiping and spreading it to other surfaces until you just barely are covering. If while you are doing it, you keep questioning whether you missed a section, give yourself the benefit of the doubt because it is probably already there. Besides, you'll probably get a few coats total on there so if you missed a little, you'll get it next time.

7: Let dry. Without ZFX, this can take 15 minutes to 24 hours I have waited. It depends on temperature and humidity. The higher the temp - the quicker the drying. The higher the humidity, the longer the drying. How do you know when it is dry? Run a finger in an inconspiculous spot. If the Zaino doesn't wipe cleanly off, it isn't dry. If not dry, you end up rolling small ammounts of it. You'll know. If try removing Zaino while not dry, it will 1) be difficult, again rolling the Zaino off, not buffing it off and creating fine dust and 2, it will be rather difficult.

8: Remove, buffing lightly with a towel in back and forth motions.

9: Quick detail with Z6 to enhance slickness, shine and improve dust repelling.

10-20: Enjoy!

Now, if you use ZFX, skip the Z1 step. Add 3-4 drops of ZFX to an ounce of Z2/Z5 in the provided mixing bottles. Shake for 90 seconds, then wait about 10 minutes before applying just like in step #6. Dry time is improved to about 15 minutes or less for me and my thin coats. Again use the finger test. Remove, go over with Z6 quickly, then apply more of your Z2 or Z5 and ZFX mixture. Use it all up because it gets thrown away if you don't. Clean your mixing bottle with dish soap when you can't get any more out of it.

After this initial coat using ZFX, you do not need to use ZFX again. Say you just want to add a quick coat after a weekly wash, go for it. ZFX or Z1 is required about once a year or about every 10 coats. Or use ZFX to add a couple more coats if you want . You have that flexibility after the initial use. Same if you used Z1 instead for the first coat. Don't use it again for every coat, just every 10th or year.

How many coats to applyt? I recommend 3-5. That is the key range I feel really shows what Zaino is about. One looks good, two is about the same, but 3-5 seem to really make it outstanding. Also, Zaino like any synthetic needs to cure to the paint. A couple days after the initial coats, you should notice it look its best.

Maintenance: wash with Z7 and then use Z6 to make it look like you just added a fresh coat. You can use other soaps and quick detailers, but Z6 and Z7 really excel when used with Z2/Z5 sealants. I get 5-6 months from 3 coats on daily drivers, and I just started my spring cleaning on my semi-garage queen that still is protected with Zaino since July!

Hmm, did I cover everything? Any Q's, let know know.

Oh, towels. I bought nice 100% cotton Cannon towels when I first got Zaino, but I prefer microfiber now.

Take care and enjoy yourself.
Aaron

Old 04-10-2003, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time user here. Just recieved it in the mail yesterday and will shoot for this weekend to apply.

Quick question - Any cure time between coats?

Note: I will be using ZFX with Z5. I also have Z6.

Thanks

Old 04-10-2003, 11:55 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zaino recommends a max of 3 coats per day using ZFX. You cna add another three the next day if you choose. You do not have to wait any time between those three coats. If you have any extra in the mixing bottle after 3 coats, you can apply it to a different vehicle if it is prepped, or throw it away. Honestly, I would rather keep applying coats before throwing it away. Supposedly, only 3 is recommended because any more will have no benefit. There is no harm other that possibly wasting product. If you throw it away, there is no possibly, you are wasting product.

I typically wash my vehicle, use Z6, then start applying my ZFX/Z5 mixture. By the time I am done applying that coat, it is usually dry or close to it and I can remove it. As soon as I remove it, I use Z6 again and add another coat. Well, I may grab a soda or water, but no long breaks. I have done 2 coats after with Z6 between in an hour on my ext cab F-150. The ZFX/Z5 mixture will get dry and hard in a couple hours if unused so it would get wasted if you had to wait for it to cure very long.

Aaron

Old 04-10-2003, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Now if this ***** weather would end......I'll be on my way.

Quick Reply: APT's Unsolicited Zaino info & tips