Bugs Bugs Bugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 05:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dantheman1973
[I]Originally posted by Intel486
A good thick coating of Pro's Bug Guard.

Intel,

This stuff sounds too good to be true... When you spray it on, it dries clear, leaving a layer to help protect the finish?

I checked out the prowax site. The stuff sounds good, and it's cheap.. sounds like something I could easily apply to the nose, and behind wheels.

Can you tell that it's on at all? I want to retain that black gloss that I currently am proud of/enjoying.

Thanks
Dan
It dries clear. I have a bug deflector so I only apply it to the front grill, bumper, and headlights. It does dry clear and you can hardly tell it is on the surface.

I just spray a nice even coat on and let it dry. You need to get it somewhat thick. A light misting of the surface won't do it. I'll then let it dry and do another coat.

On paint as long as you get an even coat it can actually help out the gloss You can hardly see it on the surface if you get an even coat.

Old 04-14-2003, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not Zaino again! LOL!!!

Old 04-14-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by mf150
Not Zaino again! LOL!!!

Old 04-14-2003, 11:10 PM

Intel,

I'm gonna order me some tonight... sounds like a winner...

Thanks
Dan

Can't beat it, if you can't really tell it's on, it easily washes off, and helps to protect from those little flying vermin...

Hell, I wish they made some for the windshield.

Old 04-27-2003, 11:45 PM
Smile

I finally got the chance to use my Pro BugGuard...

Intel, what's the best way to apply it...

I tried spraying it at first, and it seems to be rather "globby".. so I used a towel, to help spread it around...

Is it better to glob it all over, and let it dry thick, or to smooth it out a little?

Also, wondering... this stuff seems remarkably similar to hair gel.. wondering if there's a chance it could be the same stuff.. looked like it, smelled like it, felt like it.. dries clear (like hair gel), washes off with water (like hair gel)...

Don't misunderstand me.. I'm not promoting using hair gel on your truck, but it does seem "similar"

Dan

Old 04-28-2003, 07:07 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This stuff sounds VERY interesting. I'm going to have to check it out.

Anyone have a link to this product? I can't seem to find it on the www.

Thanks!

RP

Old 04-28-2003, 09:04 AM
RP,

I went to www.prowax.com to find out more info on Pro BugGuard...

it's right there on the first page.. but a small link will give you more detail

I can't remember if I ordered from them or another Pro distributor...

Dan

Old 04-28-2003, 04:22 PM
I just feed it through a sprayer and spray it on my truck pretty thickly. It dries clear.

This stuff neutralizes the acid in the bugs body so it will help prevent etching.

Old 04-28-2003, 05:40 PM
Intel:

When you use that, is it only suppose to be on so long and then you have to strip it off and reapply? Would dawn dish washing soap strip it off? Or do you just let it wear off and reapply?

Old 04-28-2003, 05:59 PM
A couple coats of wax on the hood will help them to come off easier. For chrome front bumpers, apply a couple coats of chrome wax they will come off MUCH easier if you do this.

Old 04-28-2003, 06:04 PM
Intel,

What type of sprayer do you use/feed through?

I went straight from that 16 oz spray bottle, which seemed to make "splotches" of bug guard...

It would be nice if in an aerosol...

Thanks
Dan

Old 04-28-2003, 07:51 PM
It is a water-based product and isn't meant to last any lenght of time. Spray it on before you leave. It'll wash off the next time you wash your vehicle. It is water-based so it does so easily.

I use one of Pro's 24oz. bottle with their sprayer or whatever sprayer my distributor carries. It doesn't come out in a fine mist. I just coat it on and it dries clear.

Old 04-28-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Intel486
It is a water-based product and isn't meant to last any lenght of time. Spray it on before you leave. It'll wash off the next time you wash your vehicle. It is water-based so it does so easily.
Intel, I've been following this post for a while and have interest in this product, but I have one nagging question I've just gotta ask. If this stuff is waterbased, wouldn't it dissolve and run in a decent rain storm? All I can invision is this stuff dissolving and streaking all over the front and sides of my truck during or after a bad downpour, and then drying again all over the finish after the rain stops. Any thoughts?
-Mike-

Old 04-28-2003, 10:51 PM
This stuff is not meant to be applied and left on the vehicle for a long time. If you are going driving today, then you apply it, let it dry, and then go driving.

You will have to apply it frequently. I use it everytime I have to drive somewhere on the interstate where I know the truck will be hit with bugs.

Heavy rain can and will probably wash it off but there aren't too many bugs out during a downpour. Even if it does streak down the paint it'll dry clear again.

This stuff is meant for short term protection. If you do a LOT of highway driving and want to protect your truck from bugs, then you probably need to look into some of the plastic protective sheets you can have applied to your vehicle. I use know some places that sold that stuff off the top of my head. I'll have to look through my links to find some.

Old 04-29-2003, 08:43 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm thinking I'm going to go with a bottle of this stuff just to figure it out... it definately sounds like a great product.

Another question. Once it's applied and I have a couple of coats on the front and a bug 'splats' into my truck while running 75 down the interstate, is it then simply a function of 'wiping it off and reapplying' the bug guard or, is it more simplistic to rewash and reapply the guard?

Also, with this stuff being water based, does it 'melt' with heat or anything like that?

RP

Quick Reply: Bugs Bugs Bugs