Buffer recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buffer recommendations?

Ok everybody, I think I'm going to upgrade to a new buffer. I'm thinking that a want to get an orbital because I'm afraid that I might screw something up with a non-orbital buffer/grinder type. Can I have some recommendations? I know a lot of you are using either Dewalts or Porter Cables. Which ones and how do you like them. I did a search and I really couldn't find the results I was looking for.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 04-13-2003, 02:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the DeWalt Orbital buffer.

It does a good job. It has a higher speed than the PC but it is still safe. You can hold it on one spot with pressure and it doesn't heat up the paint at all.

I really like it but it is somewhat loud. I'd buy it again if I had to do it over again.

Old 04-13-2003, 03:28 PM
rtroha I myself recently upgraded froma Craftsman 10" orbital to the PC and O MY GOODNESS what a differance it makes I really did not thkn it could be that much better but it is. I say go for it you won't be dissapointed. I found the best price here http://www.planetportercable.com/tools/polishers.html
or here www.coastaltool.com

Model 7424

You will also need to get some pads from somewhere and there are many out ther I am using CMA pads and they are available at
http://www.properautocare.com/
Meguairs also makes good pads from what Intel and others have said

Richard D.

WHILE YOUR HERE CHECK OUT MY GALLERY:
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=2479

Last edited by Richard D; 04-13-2003 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I went with the Cyclo dual head 4" buffer.

Got it about 3 years ago, and it is real nice to use.

My Dad has a Converted Porter Cable, and a Cyclo, and between the 2, I can say I like having the 4" pad size for getting around trim work, vs the larger pad on the PC.
This is a direct comparison to using the Cyclo for such a long time, so if I had been using the PC for 3 years I might have the same amount of control around trim parts as I do the Cyclo.

Also the pads are the same as my single 4" buffer, so one set of pads works on both, another plus for what I do ( polish and wax on the motorcycle with smaller area ).

http://www.properautocare.com/ has a wide range of pads and heads for it, so I have brush heads for doing carpet cleaning as well.

Good luck in picking one out, it is a big help over a 10" type, or doing it by hand not matter which you get.

Old 04-14-2003, 07:58 AM
Thanks for all the input guys!

Intel, what is the part # of you Dewalt? I want to compare it to the others that were recommended.

Thanks again,
Bob

Old 04-14-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by rtroha
Thanks for all the input guys!

Intel, what is the part # of you Dewalt? I want to compare it to the others that were recommended.

Thanks again,
Bob
It is DW443

Old 04-28-2003, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all your input guys. I decided on the Dewalt DW443 over the PC because it's a little more powerful and I've had good luck with other Dewalt products. I just ordered it so I have to wait a little while before I can try it out. Now to get some pads.....

Thanks again.
Bob

Old 04-28-2003, 04:21 PM
Thanks for all your input guys. I decided on the Dewalt DW443 over the PC because it's a little more powerful and I've had good luck with other Dewalt products. I just ordered it so I have to wait a little while before I can try it out. Now to get some pads.....

Thanks again.
Bob
Check out premiumautocare.com topoftheline.com premiumautocare.com and meguiars.com for pads

Old 04-29-2003, 02:20 PM
Ok, now I'm looking at the pads. What size do I need? Are the 6.5" from Meguiars the right size?

Thanks,
Bob

Old 04-29-2003, 05:17 PM
Ok, now I'm looking at the pads. What size do I need? Are the 6.5" from Meguiars the right size?

Thanks,
Bob
Yep, the 6.5" pads. I've heard of people using 8" ones before but I think that is way too big for an orbital. I think the 8" ones are big when I use them with my rotary. I can't image sticking them on an orbital.

Quick Reply: Buffer recommendations?