Rear Window Trim Faded/Discolored

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 02:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rear Window Trim Faded/Discolored

I am really getting sick of dealing with this! The wide gray trim around my rear window has faded and discolored. I tried using Back To Black on it a couple times (pain in butt, lots of elbow grease). It worked, but would wear away shortly after. I am considering painting it instead. Anybody have this happen to them? Any thoughts/solutions?
-Thanks

Old 04-17-2003, 12:45 PM
I think this happens on all of them. I have a 97 and mine is almost white. I too planned on painting it this summer. I planned on tapping it off, light sanding and then painting it flat black. I've been thinking about picking up some plastic paint but i'm not sure how long it would last exposed to the elements. Anybody know?

One things for sure it looks like crap.

Old 04-17-2003, 12:58 PM
Black Krylon Spray Paint. Tape it off carefully and go to it. I have seen several photos of the finished result on this site and it looks nice.

Old 04-17-2003, 01:19 PM
I'll be selling mine as soon as it starts to turn white.....kinda like those tooth brushes that fade when it's time for a new one.

-Brian

Old 04-17-2003, 01:33 PM
I also have a 97 and all I have done over the years to keep it looking new is to simply clean, polish, and wax it just like the rest of the truck since it is already painted.

Richard D.

WHILE YOUR HERE CHECK OUT MY GALLERY:
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=2479

Old 04-17-2003, 07:30 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Richard D
I also have a 97 and all I have done over the years to keep it looking new is to simply clean, polish, and wax it just like the rest of the truck since it is already painted.

Richard D.

Richard,

I don't think that's a painted piece... the plastic or fiberglass (whichever it is) is actually that color. In short, the resin that they used to mold it is black.

RP

Old 04-17-2003, 07:49 PM
Actually, mine was a dark gray to begin with. At least it was when I bought it. It was about a year old and used.

Old 04-17-2003, 09:00 PM
I had to have mine replaced a few years back becuase the body shop had damaged it when removing my Snuglid and I could have swore they told me it had to be painted. O well whatever that really doesnt matter like i said I just clean polish and wax moine as part of the truck and all is well with mine.

Richard D.

WHILE YOUR HERE CHECK OUT MY GALLERY:
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=2479

Old 04-17-2003, 09:37 PM
use the krylon'satin black'...not a flat black and not a gloss...kinda in between

Old 04-18-2003, 07:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

I painted mine mine semi gloss black. I used Krylon "rust tough", and it has been an easy two years with no sign of fading. It really cleaned up the look on the back of the truck. Makes it look like a newer model too. Use some 400 grit wet or dry with soapy water and don't forget the inside edges by the window glass. Mask it up using some plastic sheeting and masking tape, then shoot about three uniform coats on it. It's pretty easy getting a decent finish, since the strip is pretty narrow. Start at the brake light, and go down on each side around to the middle. Easy enough?,,,,98

Old 04-19-2003, 06:22 PM
Krylon just came out with a spray paint specifically for plastics. I will be spray painting my rear window trim when I replace the toneau cover this summer.

Old 04-19-2003, 06:59 PM
I just got done a few days ago painting my Engine Throttle body Cover as well as the Power distrubution cover on the passenger side firewall. I used Dupli-Color Truck,Van and Suv Paint and There Adhesion promoter for plastic and the pieces turned out really nice I painted them Black Metallic it is a very subtle change but it really did make a differance. So you can also use the Dupli-Coor as long as you use there adhesion promoter.

Richard D.

Old 04-19-2003, 07:12 PM
Thanks!

Old 04-23-2003, 04:57 PM
I did this to my thunderbird, my black plastic piece around the back window faded. I taped it off and covered the window and trunk from overspray, and used a can of flat black spray from autozone. I let it dry, and over the period of a couple of days, added 2 more layers. It turned out really well, you'd have to really look close at it to notice I painted it. The only negative is that I have to go back and do it every couple of years, but it is worth it.

Chris

Old 04-23-2003, 07:09 PM
i use tire gell on mine made by meguire rub it in real good and i have never had to do it again in over a year and its shines like new. matter a fact it worked so well that one time at a light a guy in the same year truck asked me what i do to keep it looking new. becasue his was all faded. so i told him and a few days latetr i saw the same guy pulling into the parking lot and his to was looking great. at first it went on kinda spoty but as i really rubed it in it looked great and seems to stay for a very long time.\
like i said its been ovebr a year and i have only quickly wiped it down with each waxing. just MO

Quick Reply: Rear Window Trim Faded/Discolored