Claybar. What the heck is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Claybar. What the heck is it?

Total newb question here, but I'm never going to learn if I don't ask.

What is this Zaino Claybar thing? The picture looks like it's a small round container, but some "tips" pages indicate it folds?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on what this thing is and how it's used.

Lyfisin

Old 04-27-2003, 08:32 PM
Ever play with Silly Puddy? Very similar consistency in terms of 'folding' it. Many companies make clay bars, so I'm not going to get into which is best. To use it, follow a simple set of guidelines.

1) Wash your truck well.
2) Apply the clay bar as the included directions indicate.
3) Wash the truck very well and dry it.
4) Evaluate the finish and apply polish, swirl remover, and/or whatever is needed.
5) Apply a good wax coat and you're done.

Clay is a good product and very easy to use. If you want your truck to look it's best, learn to use a clay bar as part of your detailing process. You'll like the results.

Good luck.
-Mike-

Old 04-27-2003, 08:34 PM
Thanks BigDeal. I could see it was important. I just couldn't figure out what it was.

And yes, I've played with Silly Putty.

Lyfisin

Old 04-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Re: Claybar. What the heck is it?

Originally posted by Lyfisin
Total newb question here, but I'm never going to learn if I don't ask.

What is this Zaino Claybar thing? The picture looks like it's a small round container, but some "tips" pages indicate it folds?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on what this thing is and how it's used.

Lyfisin
The Zaino clay comes in the small round container. It comes with two bars. It does work good, but I am sure most clay will work good.

You just want to make sure as you use it that you keep folding it, over to use a new surface. If not when you pick up some embeded stuff from the paint, it could scratch the paint.

Another thing to remember, if you ever drop it on the ground throw it away. You will never get all the dirt and/or grit out of it and it will do a number on your paint.

I use the Zaino clay and it works great.

Old 04-27-2003, 10:00 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Re: Claybar. What the heck is it?

Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
...Another thing to remember, if you ever drop it on the ground throw it away. You will never get all the dirt and/or grit out of it and it will do a number on your paint.
01 has a very good point here. If the clay hits the ground, it is IMMEDIATELY declared trash. It's painful to throw away an expensive brick of clay but, it's better in the long run because one tiny 'unseen' sand particle that the clay inherited when it hit the ground can cause a total disaster on your paint when you go back to claying...

With this in mind, I always recommend that people take their clay and cut it into two pieces. Thus, with the Meguiars Body Shop Profesisonal clay that I use which comes two clay bars to a small black, screw on lid, type of package, I get four bars. This way WHEN (I say when because it WILL happen) you drop a bar, it's not as painful to chuck it. On the flip side, if you have one full bar and you paid $20 for the kit... throwing away $10 of that $20.. that's painful.

I can't say enough about clay. It's an excellent step to the most important process involved in making your truck look good... prep. Without proper surface prep, your truck will never make it beyond 'kinda' looking good.

RP

Old 04-28-2003, 12:17 PM
Thanks for all this info.

Using 1/2 at a time is a great idea. I also read somewhere that wearing rubber surgical type gloves helps you hold on to it also. I think I might even have a bunch of those around for some old magic tricks I used to do.

When I read about this stuff, I thought it was like a bar of soap and I couldn't imagine how you could fold it.

You guys are terrific.

Thanks for your time.

Lyfisin

Old 04-28-2003, 12:25 PM
Moderator &

Glad we could help.

RP

Old 04-28-2003, 05:43 PM
I never heard about wearing gloves...

I would think it might help because if you get it all wet it will get slippery. You also want to make sure you keep the surface your claying lubed. I am not sure what most people use, but I use some car wash soap mixed something like 10 parts water, to 1 part car washing soap in a spray bottle.

That seems to work great. You will know if you hit a dry spot it just kind of STICKS, and that is usally when you will most likely drop it, just something to think about.

Old 04-28-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
I am not sure what most people use, but I use some car wash soap mixed something like 10 parts water, to 1 part car washing soap in a spray bottle.
XLT, here's a suggestion that Intel offered to me some time ago RE. speeding up the claying and subsequent washing process. Here's the process.

1) Mix up a bucket of a good concentrated car wash soap and water, and prepare a second bucket full of clean water (i.e. no soap).
2) Using your cleaning mit soaked in the soap mixture, wipe the surface clean and then rinse with your hose. Rinse your mit in the bucket of clean water.
3) Using your cleaning mit soaked in the soap mixture, wipe the surface again and then clay the area.
4) Once again, clean the area with your mit soaked in the soap mixture and then rinse with your hose. Rinse your mit in the bucket of clean water.

Once you get the rhythm down for this process, you can wash and clay the whole truck in far less time than it would take to do it the regular way. I've tried this process and am hooked on it. Give it a whirl and see if it works for you.
-Mike-

Old 04-28-2003, 09:07 PM
Hey thanks for the tip, I just may try that next time...

Old 04-28-2003, 09:35 PM
Moderator &

Just my personal preference but, I really prefer a 'Quick Detailer' or 'Final Inspection' for the lubrication... I think it's a matter of preference though.

Soap is definately cheaper.

I just had better luck with QD or FI.

RP

Old 04-30-2003, 03:44 PM
One other tip..do not do it in the sun or if the body of your truck/car is hot. The clay will melt into the paint and its a PITA to remove (nothing detrimental but it will make claying your car 1000 times more difficult). Its definitely worth it though. It can take a while..but the difference it awesome.

After doing a section..rub your finger across it. Then keep going to a part that you didn't do..its a world of difference!

Old 04-30-2003, 05:09 PM
One other tip..do not do it in the sun or if the body of your truck/car is hot.
Gah!

I live in Dallas! When is it not hot here?

Lyf

Old 04-30-2003, 05:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've found the car wash solution is a lot slicker than any quick detailer I've used with my clay.

Old 04-30-2003, 07:17 PM
I agree, car wash solution is a better lubricant for claying, and also much cheaper.

Quick Reply: Claybar. What the heck is it?