Stainless Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 08:39 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Stainless Cleaner

I've got some spots on my bed extender that I'd like to attempt to polish off... they're almost 'rusty' spots.

What would you guys recommend?

RP

Old 04-30-2003, 08:45 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had good experience on the F-150 chrome plated rims, and bumpers using Mothers Chrome Polish. I also heard great things about Eagle One Chrom Polsih.

Old 04-30-2003, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried the mothers chrome polish when i 1st got my truck. didn't impress me at all.

I tried their mothers mag and aluminum paste polish, and wow, that stuff is really good! Easy to use and easy to get tar and stuff off the chrome. I also had a few dull spots on my rims, the mag and aluminum polish shined it right up as bling as the rest of the rims

worst stuff i've ever used was Blue magic. it was in a blue container, like a jello-Y type consistency. Smelled like pure ammonia, which it contained some of. Talk about getting high! LoL!
ANyway, it took me at least a month to get my rims streak free. it just kept rubbing around and smearing, wouldn't come off at all

Old 04-30-2003, 09:39 PM
I agree with Harley, the Blue Magic basically sucks. I tried using it on my tool box in the truck and had a hell of a time with it.

I am going to try that "mothers mag and aluminum paste polish" Harley just mentioned.

Question for you Harley, I am sure your rims are like mine as in having like a clearcoating on the rim. If so I am thinking that the "mothers mag and aluminum paste polish" will not hurt the clearcoating?

Old 04-30-2003, 09:44 PM
Moderator &

Specifically stainless steel.... not aluminum.

Or, at least that's what I'm assuming that my bed extender is constructed of... ?

RP

Old 04-30-2003, 10:00 PM
My rims are chrome, not mag or bare aluminum, and it worked wonders on them its worth a shot

anyway, not sure if my rims are coated or not, i'd imagine they are. I don't use the mothers mag and aluminum polish all that often, just if there's a lot of tar on them, or they had the dull spots or whatever. The rest of the time i use Z2 zaino on them

Old 04-30-2003, 10:09 PM
That's what I have been using on them, the Z2. They seem to stay real clean. I have never had a problem with brake dust or anything else sticking to them, but they are coated as well, so even before I used the Z2 on them they were easy to clean.

Old 05-01-2003, 07:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RockPick,

For straight (uncoated) stainless steel, just about any polish containing a mild abrasive will do just fine. We see this kind of stuff at the Marina I work at all the time on boats and simple Chrome Polish will actually work just fine. Even some waxes with a cleaner in them (as opposed to straight wax) will do the trick.

If you see the oxidation (rust spots) coming back on a regular basis, you might want to try a sealer after the polish. I just tried a sealer from a company called Magic that seems to be working quite well on my polished (but not clear coated) American Racing wheels. I can get you their address if you need it.

There, I made it through a whole post without recommending a single Zaino product! I'm so ashamed.

Old 05-01-2003, 08:03 AM
Moderator &

Thanks 2stroked.

Old 05-01-2003, 09:33 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
RP,

You can also try MAAS. You can get it just about any where.

I use it to polish the SS tips on my Xhst.

It seems to work better then SemiChrome.

Another option if the stops are not large is Never Dull, use the crap out of that stuff as well.

Both of them work well on SS, Brass, Chrome, basically anything metal.

Just a few more options, as for is the Bed Extender SS...got me, don' own one, so can't say for sure. My guess would have been something other then SS for what it costs. Usually SS parts cost throught the nose. A SS bolt for my ZG-1000 was 0.30 each, where the common ones were like 0.07 each ( M6x25 ).

Good Luck

Steve

Old 05-01-2003, 11:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RockPick,

SCCULLY brings up an intersesting point I hadn't thought about - maybe your bed estender isn't made out of stainless steel. Stainless has two big things going against it. First, it's expensive. Second, it's heavy. Could your bed extender be made out of aluminum instead? If it isn't stainless, you probably have some sort of finish on it that many polishes could damage. Try the old magnet trick for starters. Good luck!

Old 05-01-2003, 11:53 AM
Moderator &

Hadn't really considered that it might not be SS. SS is definately heavy and, if anyone has played around with the extender, you know it's not exactly heavy.

Maybe it is Alum. *shrugs*

Magnet test it is!

Thanks guys...

RP

Old 05-01-2003, 07:56 PM
Rockpick, if you live near an ACE hardware store try a can of stainless steel magic. works great on stainless. I use it all the time at work,polishes stainless to a high luster shine. cost about $4.00 a can.

Old 05-01-2003, 08:52 PM
Moderator &

dakota,

Is that a 'spray on' type of cleaner/polish or is it something that I can put on a rag and buff?

RP

Old 05-01-2003, 08:59 PM
ROCKPICK, that is a spray on product. I have spayed on a rag and buffed out a shine before. It does seem to work better spraying it on. hope this helps. dakota

Quick Reply: Stainless Cleaner