Arghhh! Deck and fence stain on paint! HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 06:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Arghhh! Deck and fence stain on paint! HELP!!!!

I was spraying fence stain on a fence a couple of weeks ago. The wind was blowing and swirling around a bit. Being an idiot my truck was parked in the driveway. Needless to say it now has tiny little cedar orange tint specs all over it.

I have washed it several times and today attempted to use a claybar to remove the tint specs. I bought a Meguiar's claybar and their final detailer to lubricate the bar. It didn't even start to remove the specs.

Any ideas on removing this? It looks like paint overspray. What can I use to remove this without harming the paint?

To let you know what I tried today, I hand washed the truck using dawn dishwashing liquid. After I dried the truck I attempted to use the claybar to remove the specs. I tried it on the painted surface of the side mirror, the plastic trim around the windows and on a side window to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-02-2003, 06:41 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Clay would've been my only suggestion.

Best of luck, I'm sure someone will know what to use.

RP

Old 05-02-2003, 07:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How big are the spots? Clay will only remove that fine mist of overspray from something like a rattle can.

Try mineral spirits on the spots. If it doesn't work, then take it to a paintshop to have them take care of it.

Old 05-02-2003, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are bigger than fine overspray.

Thanks for the input. I worked on it some more and the clay will remove them but it takes about 1 minute of rubbing with the clay to clean just one little spot. It would take days to do the whole truck with the clay bar.

I will try the mineral spirits to see how that works. I didn't know which products you could use that would not hurt the paint.

Guess the clay bar will get used on my wife's Jetta. My truck is too new to need it right now.

Thanks again,

Greg

Quick Reply: Arghhh! Deck and fence stain on paint! HELP!!!!