Tree sap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tree sap?

Ok, I have a question for you all. What is the best or a good product to get tree sap off the paint?

First my truck does have polish on the paint, for those that don't know I use Zaino and put three coats on today. I am going camping next weekend and that is why I am asking "before" hand how to get the sap off.

I know the polish will help protect the paint, but I don't know if the sap after a bit of time left on can actually damage the paint regardless of how much polish/wax is on it.

I know the best protecting from getting sap on the paint is to NOT park under the trees, but there may be times when camping that I have no choice. I figure if I have something with me to get it off I won't have to worry about it harming the paint.

Thanks in advance...

Old 05-03-2003, 09:14 PM
Goo Gone works awsome, but will probably strip some of the zaino?

claybar will do the trick also

I used to get tons of sap on my truck. i found the best solution though....had about 6 giant trees cut down out of my yard on arbor day last year

Old 05-03-2003, 09:18 PM
Harley, you mention the claybar. In order to use the claybar I take it you would have to let it dry and get hard? If so, letting it sit on there that long, will it hurt the paint?

As far as Goo Gone, is that something you can find at say Pep Boys, or some other auto parts store?

Old 05-03-2003, 09:56 PM
If the sap isn't too tough, the clay bar will remove it. However, you will probably want to only use that clay bar for removing sap, or road tar from that point on. Tha sap stays in the clay, and you don't want to be claying your entire vehicle with "sap".

Also, mineral spirts, or denatured alcohol will remove the sap very nicely............ thank you!

In either case, you will have to re-apply some Z.

Old 05-03-2003, 09:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whatever product you use to remove the tree sap you need to remember the dwell time is very important. Let the product do the work!

I use PRO's Tree Sap remover and it works well. I spray it on the spot and wet a corner of the towel and let it sit on the spot. I'll carefully wipe after some dwell time. If it doesn't easily come off, then I'll repeat.

You can also use Turpentine as it is made for tree sap and will dissolve it. It won't hurt the paint. Let the product do the work.

Old 05-03-2003, 10:09 PM
Thanks for all the recommendation. I “know” it will at one time or another come in handy.

Here is maybe a stupid question, what about WD-40? I used it before for removing some oil or tar from my truck before and it came right off. Just wondering how that would work with tree sap?

I am guessing what you all suggested is going to work better or more efficient.

Old 05-04-2003, 12:43 PM
If it's pine sap, I doubt the WD-40 will work very well. We tried cleaning some tough tar spots of my son's white SportTrac with the WD-40 with limited success. In this case, an old clar bar I had did the trick. I'm sure that any of the solvents listed (mineral spirts, denatured alcohol, or turpentine) would have worked as well or better on the tar............. same goes for the sap.

Have fun camping!

Old 05-04-2003, 04:52 PM
Thanks Boss

Quick Reply: Tree sap?