Oil check

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil check

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so I figured I'd try my luck here. Ok, here's my delima. I changed my oil 3 weeks ago. And I put in 6 quarts of oil, ran the engine until it reached normal operating temp, let it set for 5 minutes, and then checked the dipstick. It read almost in between the min - max marks, but it was a little closer to the min mark than the max. So, I figure it's ok and let it go. Today, I do the same proceure...letting my truck warm up, set for 5 minutes, then checked the dipstick. It read a little (1/8") over the min mark. When I changed my oil 5 thousand miles ago, I used 6-1/2 quarts to get the level to the max mark. The owner's manual says to use 6 quarts. Should I put in 6-1/2 quarts, or is the owner's manual wrong? My truck has 29,500 miles on it. It has no oil leaks, and has never burned any oil. Am I not letting it sit long enough after it reaches operating temperature to check the dipstick? The only thing I've one in between the oil change is put a bottle of Gumout fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank. But that should have nothing to do with the loss of oil. Btw, I use Valvoline Durablend 5W-30 motor oil. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-07-2003, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ha,ha... I just went out and checked it, and the dipstick reads exactly where it was when I changed my oil. In between the min/max marks. Guess I wasn't letting it set long enough for the oil to drain back in the pan.

Old 05-08-2003, 09:07 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My truck, during the first 8,000 miles was using about a quart per oil change (3-4K miles). It's since stopped and everything is aok but, that certainly worried me... especially on a 'NEW' truck.

I've heard others say that theirs did the same thing though...

Old 05-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The root casue of the problem here - once again - is that Ford decided to challenge conventional wisdom and make "full" actually half way between the two marks on the dipstick. This has caused all sorts of heartburn for no really good reason. On the great list of "Things Customers Asked For" this one rates right up there with the Mint Flavored Suppository.

Old 05-08-2003, 07:50 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by 2stroked
...this one rates right up there with the Mint Flavored Suppository.
LMAO!!! I busted out laughing when I read that... ROFL!

RP

Quick Reply: Oil check