Intel was right....Imagine that

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Intel was right....Imagine that

I already had a PC7424 ROB before finding this site. At some point and time I had read an Intel post that he thought the motor on the Porter Cable 7424 got too warm with pressure and that he could even stop the pad during the process. I was thinking, "What the heck is he talking about? I've never had any problems or heat issues with mine." That was before deciding to try and "detail" my mother's Q45 for Mother's Day. The 7424 is great for dealing with my relatively clean truck (I ain't no Harley356 Zaino-ing the back of my headlights ), but my with my mom's car it has met it's match. I swear that if you took a 20 gauge shotgun and filled it full of bugs and then shot her bumper at a distance of 3 feet you couldn't even begin to match what she had up there. She even had GLOBS of mud on the trunk!!! Please tell me how you get GLOBS of mud on a Q45 driving on the street!?!?

Anyway, back to the Porter Cable 7424, I was using a paint cleaner and while trying to remove the baked on bug stains I was putting so much pressure on my PC7424 that it almost stopped. 15 minutes after I had TRIED to clean the front bumper the motor of the PC7424 was still pretty warm (warmer than I would like).

So in conclusion, Intel has never steered me wrong and even when I thought there was a chance that he was wrong.....I was wrong

cbone

PS - I still like my Porter Cable for dealing with my truck, but it's definitely not a "professional" grade tool.

Old 05-08-2003, 06:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree, Intel certainly knows what he's talking about!

Remember, the PC is for light to moderate work. If stains/scratches/swirls are that bad, you probably should be using a rotary. Of course, applying too much pressure with a rotary opens up a whole new set of problems.............. far worse than not getting the stain out!

Old 05-08-2003, 10:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't remember saying I could stop the pad but maybe I did

I can slow it down though w/ pressure though.

The Orbitals really aren't meant for heavy compounding and polishing though, which is why I got the rotary. My rotary keeps applying more power to the pad to keep it at a constant RPM when you start applying pressure. I've flipped breakers before with it

Quick Reply: Intel was right....Imagine that