Mike's "alternative ways" of stripping wax

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
f-150_91,

Trust me............. Z7 on carnauba = carnauba gone! I've removed carnauba that has hazed and smeared because it was so thick...... with one dose of Z7.

To my knowledge, there are no harmful chemiclas or detergents in Z7........... just strong cleaners.

Old 05-12-2003, 11:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think someone tested the Z7 out in a lab and found it had some Z2 in it. I forgot. It had something in it that left a coating on the paint when you were done washing.

Old 05-13-2003, 05:54 AM
Intel,

Yep, I've heard the same thing. Some people have said that using Z7, and Z6 is all they need to keep their vehicle nice without waxing or applying sealants. However, I've found, if Z7 does leave some Z2 behind........... it's not much. As a matter of fact, if you "over-dose" the Z7, it tends to dull up the finish a bit.

Old 05-13-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Boss_429
Intel,

Yep, I've heard the same thing. Some people have said that using Z7, and Z6 is all they need to keep their vehicle nice without waxing or applying sealants. However, I've found, if Z7 does leave some Z2 behind........... it's not much. As a matter of fact, if you "over-dose" the Z7, it tends to dull up the finish a bit.
The guy I talked to did tests with different car soaps in a lab. I forgot all the things he did but I remember the Z7 leaving residue behind on the test sheet.

Old 05-14-2003, 02:16 PM
What about removing "acrylic" products? (i.e. Pros Profection, Klasse Sealant Glaze)

Will polish remove it the same as it does wax?

cbone

Old 05-14-2003, 04:09 PM
chknbone,

Removing paint sealants just as you mentioned are alittle tougher because of the tough barrier they form to protect the paint, hence harder to remove than wax.

There is a couple ways you can go about this. A.) Acid Bath - Pro makes an Acidic Bath (C-45) you can use on your paints surface. This will strip sealants and anything else on there very effectively. Intel used it on his truck, and came back with a great review about it. He posted the results about it but that's like an ancient thread now, lol B.) Just let if wear off - Anything beyond 6-8 months is about when I would say the sealant is getting weak. It's still there but for not much longer. To ensure the sealant is fully worn off your paints surface, don't do anything with it for a full year. This will give the sealant ample time to wear off. C.) Compounding or some good heavy duty polishing will strip the sealant too as well. I don't see the point in removing paint just to remove a protective barrier, but that's just me.

Most people think that Dawn will remove the sealant. I have proved myself that sealants laugh at Dawn. Put it this way, IMHO, If you don't like the sealant that you have on currently, and you don't have the right stuff to strip it properly, they can be like terds that don't flush ya know, LOL! I couldn't resist. Good Luck,,,,91

Last edited by f-150_91; 05-14-2003 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by chknbone
What about removing "acrylic" products? (i.e. Pros Profection, Klasse Sealant Glaze)

Will polish remove it the same as it does wax?

cbone
The barrier they form is extremely thin. Any abrasive paint product will be able to cut through it pretty quickly.

Old 05-15-2003, 05:43 AM
Yep, I've removed "Z" and Klasse with #9, and Medallion paint cleaner, and a couple other products. It takes a little work, but they will remove sealant.

Old 05-16-2003, 06:54 AM
Is it just me, or what? I've never had to remove old wax, nor have I ever felt compelled to. Then again, I only wax my vehicles twice a year. Maybe I'm not as picky as some of you about having 'the best' shine. A 'good' shine is good enough for me, and I've had few paint issues through the years.

Years...I mean years ago, my grandmother would was her car with Comet. After a while, that car had 'flat blue' paint! She never waxed it, just washed it with Comet. My grandfather (on the other side of the family) would always put a little kerosene in the wash water. He never waxed either, but his car always shined.

Old 05-16-2003, 08:31 PM
Stripping wax? Spending some time over 100mph should help remove some.

Old 05-16-2003, 10:09 PM
MROLDV8,

If you only wax a couple times a year, and are using a carnauba wax................. your right.......... you don't have to worry about stripping the wax, as there probably is nothing there to strip.

Quick Reply: Mike's "alternative ways" of stripping wax