Mike's "alternative ways" of stripping wax

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Mike's "alternative ways" of stripping wax

Please, if you feel there is any false information in this thread, Please jump in and correct me. This thread is designed to help you.

Wax - A protective barrier on automotive finishes to guard against mother nature's evil atmospheric conditions.

Some of us like to strip previous wax on our trucks to apply a fresh layer of wax so it can bond to the paint surface better. So let's get started shall we?

1.) Dawn Washing - This is the most common way of stripping any previous applied polishes, waxes, or any oils that the product may have left behind. This is fine for painted surfaces and really grungy areas, but, this is also hard on your trim. This is where the conflict starts of how can we strip wax but yet, not hurt the trim at the same time.

2.) Wash with a good Car Wash, Gold Class for example, and go straight to the clay bar. Ok fine, This is a more safer approach to strip wax but yet I have heard that the wax that is still on the paint can shorten the life of the clay bar.

3.) Prewax cleaners - yet another safer approach of stripping wax but not as effective as Dawn Washing or Clay Bars. Prewax cleaners vs claying is no competition. Claying is more effective and will not take layers of paint off to strip the wax. I see it this way. The wax is on top, not below. Why do you need to take a layer of paint off to strip wax???

4.) Claying - As Described in Prewax cleaners, Claying is more effective and safer. Claying is easy to do, and it only takes about what??? 1/2hr on your average midsize car??? I have also heard that wax can shorten the life of clay bars.

5.) Household Products - Products you use to clean your home with that you also use to clean your cars paint with is like it's worst enemy. Yes it will clean the car alright but they are very harsh on rubber and vinyl areas. For Tires, there ok. These Household products can strip oils and waxes like a knife cutting melted butter.

Alternative ways:

1.) Acid Bath - No Not Sulfuric Acid. Pro makes a Acid bath that I have talked to Intel about. He says it's very effective and will not harm your trim. So this way you can still wash it with something very strong and yet not harm your trim. But if your a true fanatic, you can take it to the point of still using Dawn and just masking off the trim areas with masking tape. But I don't think most of us do that. Or Do we?

2.) Really Cheap Car Wash - Now When I say Cheap, I"m talking bottom line, bottom of the ladder stuff and use a safe amount. This way you can still have a car wash made for car washing and strip wax, but not harm your trim. Being cheap that it is already, it will strip wax.

3.) At the local Car Wash - Do Not use there wax feature. I think we all pretty much know this first hand. I have actually witnessed the damage it can do to trim. You can use there soap but I would not reccomend it. What you can do, is use there rinse feature. The Water comes out nice and hot. Maybe not at first but after some use, it will come out. Just go around your car for a couple minutes with the hot water. Yet, you will not harm trim. But if exposed for too long to the water, you could propably do some damage.

4.) All Purpose Cleaners - Use a Water based cleaner mixed in with your car wash. Solvent based maybe more effective but will prolly harm other delicate and sensitive areas of the car and cause fading. Water based is more safer and will strip wax. I have seen some guys, just use there All Purpose cleaner as a subsitute for the Car Wash. When Properly diluted it will not harm sensitve areas and yet be effective of stripping wax. My Pro Distributor taught me this one.

Please, Like I said above up top. If you feel there is any false info in here, correct me. I really hope this thread helps everyone alittle. Tks all,,,,91

Last edited by f-150_91; 05-11-2003 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:50 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would be hesitant to use any solvent based cleaner. That's the only thing I saw that I'd add... just my perception too though.

Old 05-11-2003, 11:32 PM
Come one now! You left one important one out!! Take all the trim off and take all the seats/fabrics/innards out and then completely wash it and wax ait and not have to worry about the trim

Old 05-11-2003, 11:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clay doesn't strip wax.

Old 05-12-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Intel486
Clay doesn't strip wax.
ok so all this crap that I'm hearing about wax shortening the life of clay bars is just bull sh_t????

Old 05-12-2003, 12:33 AM
I'd really like to ask a question at this point. Is removing all of the existing wax that big an issue? I detail my truck regularly and try to keep up with the finish especially well. I wash, clay, polish, and wax the finish, but have never taken a dish washing solution (or anything like it) to my truck.

Guess it's back to you. Any comments?

-Mike-

Old 05-12-2003, 05:57 AM
BigDeal,

Actually, I think it's a good idea to get as much old wax off as possible................... if you are changing products, or going from carnauba to synthetic, or the other way around.

Anyhow, more importantly............... nice pic, your truck looks super!

Old 05-12-2003, 11:37 AM
Thanks Boss! I should have clarified my comments a little more. I definitely understand the whole stripping of wax issue when moving back and forth between carnuba and synthetic products. Was more interested in the issue or need to remove all the wax on the truck when simply rewaxing with the same products.

At any rate, thanks for your comments!

-Mike-

Old 05-12-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by f-150_91
ok so all this crap that I'm hearing about wax shortening the life of clay bars is just bull sh_t????
Pretty Much. Clay slides across the surface of the paint. If something is sticking up above the surface like some contamination, then it pulls that out. It isn't abrading away at the whole surface like a compound or polish is.

Originally posted by BigDeal
I'd really like to ask a question at this point. Is removing all of the existing wax that big an issue? I detail my truck regularly and try to keep up with the finish especially well. I wash, clay, polish, and wax the finish, but have never taken a dish washing solution (or anything like it) to my truck.

Guess it's back to you. Any comments?

-Mike-
People for some reason think it is necessary to strip there wax off all the time. Unless you are applying a synthetic wax, then there is absolutely no need to strip the old wax off especially when you will be using a polish or compound. A polish will cut through and remove that old layer of wax like a hot knife through butter.

The only times I suggest actually stripping the old wax off are 1) You're about to apply a synthetic wax. I suggest you doing the dawn wash after you finish compounding and polishing though. The reason being is compounds and polishes will put oils on the paint that need to be stripped so it doens't make a point to do it before hand.

2) If you have an insane amount of Carnauba wax on your truck and your are building up a "wax haze" on the paint, then Dawn wash it. This doesn't really happen often unless you are a person slapping a coat of Carnauba wax on your truck every week.

And 3) if you have a lot of coats of a synthetic wax on your vehicle. The only stuff that'll take a synthetic wax off is an Acid Bath or using a Compound and Polish. Dawn doesn't cut it here.

Old 05-12-2003, 04:18 PM
Some people do not beleive me when I say this, but if you know that you have waxed your car 5-6 times or more and now taken those coats off, you can use comet and water mixed. I know what your thinking "Am I crazy??" But seriously, I have done this to all my vehicles that I am certain had many layers of wax on them and let me tell you, the trucks look great afterwards. After you wash with the comet and water solution, dry the vehicle and immediately wax your truck thoroughly. This makes it look right off the showroom floor.

Old 05-12-2003, 04:32 PM
you say it, but i gotta believe that comet is doing some seriuos damage. Doesnt it have bleach in it? What kinda mixture are you using?

Old 05-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by njarrett
Some people do not beleive me when I say this, but if you know that you have waxed your car 5-6 times or more and now taken those coats off, you can use comet and water mixed. I know what your thinking "Am I crazy??" But seriously, I have done this to all my vehicles that I am certain had many layers of wax on them and let me tell you, the trucks look great afterwards. After you wash with the comet and water solution, dry the vehicle and immediately wax your truck thoroughly. This makes it look right off the showroom floor.
Comet on the paint, even with water. I'll only believe it when I see it! Oh well, if you all think this thread of mine blows big donkey you know what, then disregard it. I'm sure Intel was laughing his *** off when he saw it. I'm just trying to help out here. Ok clay bars don't strip wax and you shouldn't ever need to use dishwasing soap so now I'm lost,,,,91

Old 05-12-2003, 05:57 PM
f-150_91,

Actually, I thought this was a good thread. It's good to get everybodys input on stuff like this.

Anyhow, just for your info, I believe you have on of the best wax strippers in your detail kit. Z7 Car wash, when mixed a little strong, will remove any carnauba out there.................. and do it safely! About the only thing it won't strip is Z, or posslibly Klasse SG! Z7 is a strong, strong wash!

Old 05-12-2003, 07:31 PM
If any cleaners/car washes contain any solvents or detergents or even Buytl based. I don't even giving them a second thought. I don't care how filty something is. If Z7 is really that strong and yet not have any solvents or detergents in it. Then I can give it a go. If otherwise it contains any of those in it, forget it!. JMO though,,,,91

Old 05-12-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by f-150_91
I'm sure Intel was laughing his *** off when he saw it. I'm just trying to help out here.
Actually, I looked more like, , when I read that.

DAWN is fine for stripping wax off the paint. I just feel people do it when it isn't necessary.

Quick Reply: Mike's "alternative ways" of stripping wax