Got a new windshield, dealer tried to rip me off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 12:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink Got a new windshield, dealer tried to rip me off.

I know what you're going to say, big deal. Everyone knows that, right? But it was extreme this time. Anyone who is familiar with my previous post knew that my windshield had begun to delaminate and fog on one, and then both A-pillars. Well, it started cracking on me about two weeks ago. It was getting worse with each day that passed. I was at the dealer for something else the other day, and I heard them quote someone $295 for a 99 F-150. I went in two days ago, and decided to make an appointment to get it done. This time they quoted ME $389!?!? I tried telling them they quoted someone $295 the other day with no luck. I drove out of thier pretty pissed that they would try to pull that kind of thing. I mean I bought the truck there, and use them for most svc needed when I am home?? I know most of the svc writers and parts guys by name.

I then drove over to a place that did a windshield for me before, about 5 years ago. Three hours later, I drove out of the shop for $250! It was also a FORD Carlite brand windshield for that price.

So, if you're windshield needs replaced, you might think twice before using your dealer ,,,,98

Old 05-15-2003, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good deal 98! There are some crooked car dealers/service dept. out there. You gotta watch em' or they'll screw you over. I'm glad everything turned out ok with your truck. Did you ever get that 99+ bumper on your truck yet?

Old 05-15-2003, 03:10 PM
Move to FL!

Florida law requires that cracked windshields be replaced at NO CHARGE by insurance companies without fault or penalty to the vehicle owner or policy holder. I have had a lot of winshields replaced over the years in different vehiles and never paid a dime.

Old 05-15-2003, 03:15 PM
Actually I'm working a deal with someone right now for the upper pad and chrome center. It's on the way soon. Getting the money for the harley valance will be the hard part after that. It's cheaper than the Ford piece, but still around $200.

pw1981: Sounds like a great place to live. A free windshield would be nice ,,,,98

Old 05-15-2003, 03:36 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by pw1981
Move to FL!

Florida law requires that cracked windshields be replaced at NO CHARGE by insurance companies without fault or penalty to the vehicle owner or policy holder. I have had a lot of winshields replaced over the years in different vehiles and never paid a dime.
Kentucky does as well.

This law was brought into effect because of Kentucky's large coal mining industry (along with aggregate etc) that caused many roads to be littered with rocks and such.

I've had a couple changed myself.

RP

Old 05-15-2003, 10:07 PM
AZ requires free replacement also. One little stonechip here guarantees as eventual huge crack.

Old 05-15-2003, 10:26 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never done it but, I've heard of numerous people here in Kentucky taking a hammer to a windshield when it has a chip in it.

Further, I've heard of blatent misuse of the law in that I've seen a power slider installed in the place of a manual rear glass... paid for by insurance. Not sure how he did it but, it happend...

Also, if you're reading this WW, shame on you... LOL!!!!

RP

Old 05-15-2003, 11:18 PM
Thumbs up

Just closed the deal on the bumper, sending out the money tomorrow. just need the valance, grill and paint now. COOL!,,,,98

Old 05-16-2003, 01:10 PM
Way to go 98. Your truck is going to look awesome!

Quick Reply: Got a new windshield, dealer tried to rip me off.