Wax Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RockPick
Tell me more about this UPP... How much? Available where?

RP
RP,

BigDeal gave you the link to the place to buy the stuff, but you may want to browse through the detailing forums associated with that site: http://www.detailcity.com

Lots of good info, plus there are pics in the threads of vehicles done with UPP. A lot of guys are finding that 2 or 3 coats of UPP, topped with Poorboy's EX is an awesome combination!

Anyhow, I've actually switched from Zanio to UPP because of the carnauba look of UPP that seems to work better on my Dark Shadow Gray.

Old 05-20-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Boss_429
Anyhow, I've actually switched from Zanio to UPP because of the carnauba look of UPP that seems to work better on my Dark Shadow Gray.
Swapped emails with Dwayne at Premium Auto Care today, and he indicated that I could expect about 5 months out of a good wax job using UPP (since my truck is garaged every night). That's definitely longer life than I'm getting out of the Meguiars I'm using right now. The only thing that I'm not real found of with UPP is that you can only (according to the directions I've been given) do one coat every 24 hrs. Do you put more than one coat on at a time?

By the way, what is Poorboy's EX, and why would I want to put it on over a coat of UPP?

Still not sure I want to try this stuff yet.

-Mike-

Old 05-20-2003, 06:26 AM
BigDeal,

You'll find Dwayne and the guys at Premium Auto Care / Detail City really helpful. Anyhow, to answer your questions..........

Yes, I only put one coat on at a time, let it dry for about an hour, and wipe it off........... super easy! Then, let it sit overnight, and apply another coat. Probably not quite 24 hours, but it seems to work for me. Unlike Zaino, the first coat of UPP is really a knockout. As a matter of fact, 2 or 3 coats of UPP looks as wet and deep as 5 or 6 coats of Z5. That's why I switched! Plus the fact that the UPP has more of a carnauba look than the "Z".

As for poorboys EX, it's a carnauba/polymer combination wax. Now, the same guys who use UPP, claim that the EX is "ridiculously" easy to apply and remove, and produces maximum "WOW", especially over the UPP! Poorboy also has a new QD that is a loaded with carnauba, and is used to maintain the shine. The guys tell me that's it's thicker than most QD's.............. more like a quick wax. Same claim........ easy to apply and remove, and more "WOW" plus increased durablity. The best part is that poorboys prices are extremely competitive for "boutique" products!

On the other hand, after seeing pics of your truck, I don't know if it's possible to get it looking much better. However, it's fun to experiment, and you might be able to take it up a notch......... which would be truly awesome! Besides, the UPP or UPP/EX combo will probably last longer than your current combo.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 05-20-2003, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the input Boss! As I noted before, I'm gonna try the Platinum products on the wife's SUV first. That vehicle doesn't quite receive the same level of daily care that my truck gets, given that it sits out a lot and the kids (and wife) are really hard on it. Think I'll go ahead and take the plunge, and buy the Platinum starter kit (wash, pre-cleaner, UPP). You also get a couple MF towels with the kit, which I can always use. If anybody's interested, I'll start a new thread after I've used it and had it on a car for a while to let you know how it worked out.

-Mike-

Old 05-20-2003, 04:45 PM
BigDeal,

I'll be interested to see how you like it!

Good luck!

Old 05-20-2003, 10:18 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the information guys.

Quick Reply: Wax Test