Fuel Tank Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 12:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Tank Options

Back in the day, you could get dual gas tanks on an F150.... or at least, a larger tank.

I HATE stopping for gas. Its annoying and time consuming and almost always needs to be done when I am in a hurry.

Therefore, I want a bigger gas tank! I have a few truck crap catalogs around and they list options for older trucks, and Chebbys, but nothing for newer (97-03) F150 trucks.

I'd love 50 or 60 gallons, but thats simply not physically possible, but an extra 8-10 gallons would be great.

Is this possible?

Old 05-19-2003, 01:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Phil,

An easy one is to relocate the spare tire in the back of the bed to your liking, and add a Fuel Cell where the spare was at.

You can look at any racing parts shop or catalog for Fuel cells, to get the dimensions and spec on them.

After finding a suitable fuel cell for where the spare was at, you need to figure which way you want to get between the tanks.

1 the simple way that might not work is to tie the 2 tanks together with dual lines in the bottom and top of the tanks. This would allow for the fuel to flow between the 2 tanks, and the pressure system to be tied togehter at the top of each tank, with 2 routes. The gas would flow between the tanks when using it and filling it. The need for an additional gas gauge and the assoicated fuel selector hardware and fuel pump are not needed. I don't know for sure if you can get away with this on the truck. I guess if the fuel cell is a 100% closed tank, so the venting is using the stock ford vents it would work ??

2. Using the older Ford dual tank equipment, and an additional fuel pump to select bewteen the 2 tanks. Thing with this being I don't know how the PCM monitoring the canister would like you using fuel from 1 tank, while it is only montoring the vapors and the likes from the other tank. Might work, might not ??? Also the problem of getting the wiring for the 2nd fuel gague up to the HEC, so when you flip the tank over, the gas gauge on the dahs works.

Either way *should* work, but I am not 100% sure as I have not done it. Someone that maybe put a second tank in can say better.

You can always go the "Mad Max" route and put 2 55 gal dums in the back

Hope you get some better info then mine.

Steve

Last edited by SSCULLY; 05-19-2003 at 01:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Options