Intel - When to wax new paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intel - When to wax new paint

I tried this question in the open forum but got trashed!

The 2003 that I ordered will be here in about 3 weeks. Since this truck is being built and delivered, I am guessing that the paint won't be more than a week or two old when I take delivery. How long should I wait to Zaino the truck. What prep should I use. I mean do I need to clay bar a new truck, any other cleaners, or just Liquid Dishwasing soap, dry, and then Zaino?

Old 05-20-2003, 09:59 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe Sal says 30 days from a fresh paint job. I would use a glaze right away for the shine, but 2 weeks seems reasonable from when you pick up your new truck. Congrats!

Old 05-21-2003, 05:51 AM
Well, Intel may have a little different take on this, but I'll give a try anyway.

First, the paint on your new truck will be cured before it gets to your dealer. Therefore, you can clean, polish, or wax........... whatever you want to do. As a matter a fact, a lot of dealers have a "sealant" (crap) that they apply to new vehicles as they sell them............. at a ridiculous cost of course!

Next, I wouldn't use dishwashing soap on your new vehicle, as it will not have anything on there to strip. If your using Zaino, and you have the Z7 wash, that will clean the paint as well as the dishwashing detergent anyway.

As for the clay bar............ it wouldn't hurt to do it. Many of the new vehicles have a conditions called "rail dust" contamination. A quick claying on your new truck before you put your polishes/waxes on there will help insure that you don't have any of those contaminates on there.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your new truck.

Old 05-21-2003, 07:13 AM
APT
I tend to agree with Boss. Paint on new cars are baked at high temps. Sitting in the sun for a month isn't going to affect it. But I had to give Sal's opinion.

Some dealers wax the vehicle during prep. Might be worth asking them not to.

Old 05-21-2003, 08:31 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by APT
Some dealers wax the vehicle during prep. Might be worth asking them not to.
Actually, several do this. If you're planning on going with a synthetic, you'll definately want to ask them to 'skip' this portion of the pre-purchase.

RP

Old 05-21-2003, 09:04 AM
Thanks guys thats all helpful. I don't have to worry about the dealer waxing the truck because I know they won't put another nickle into it if they don't have to. The truck is the light silver color. Zaino works great on it. I will use the Zaino wash and a clay bar first.

Old 05-22-2003, 04:51 PM
I agree with the above.

Paint from the factory is baked on and fully cured within 48 hours. Most dealers also prep the vehicle and apply some sort of wax to the paint so make sure you strip it if you plan on going with a synthetic.

I'd clay the new vehicle too. Do this before you polish, etc. as it can actually leave small scratches in the paint. It is an important step though as you can remove Rail Dust before it starts to rust in the paint.

Old 05-24-2003, 07:07 PM
How to use a clay bar:

1. *** Don't drop the bar, and don't use it if you do. ***
2. Wash car thoroughly, maybe even twice. Don't depend on water pressure to remove everything, use a sponge and rinse it out alot. Don't skimp on bottom area.
3. Use a lubricant, I just used the ton of soap bubbles the car wash created. Worked fine.
4. Start at the top and work down. Don't let the clay bar get near any suspect areas that may not have been cleaned thoroughly. It will ruin the bar, and you won't realize it until you rinse off the lubricant and see the damage.
4. *** Never use both sides of the clay bar. When one side gets dirty, do step #5. ***
5. As you use the bar, and you feel it pickup particles (It slides easily, then catches as it picks up debris, this is usually why people drop it) put it between your palms and knead it to twice its length. Now fold over the dirty side into the interior so that you have a two new clean sides again.
6. Continue using one side only, and repeating step #5 as the bar gets dirty.
7. Your going to be tempted to us it on the lower portions of the panel. Don't go there until after you have done the major areas as the lower panels will pickup a ton of debris and will probably saturate the bar.

Good Luck

Old 05-24-2003, 11:19 PM
Stang2, You don't want to use a Sponge to wash. A cheap synthetic wash mitt is probably 100x better than any sponge (Except a high quality natural sea sponge but they are liek $30). Get a good cotton wash mitt. They can usually be found at places like pepboys, autozone, Costco, Target, etc.

Also, on a new vehicle the horizontal panels (roof, hood, top of bumpers, top of fenders, etc.) will have a lot more contamination on it than the lower panels.

Quick Reply: Intel - When to wax new paint