Rust Proofing Undercoat

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust Proofing Undercoat

Any ideas for products for a undercoating a new 2003 F150. From what I have learned, the fine particle wax products are the best for penetration and self healing. You have to use the amber colored ones because the black ones add carbon black which foul the aerosal tips. I guess if you used your own spray equipment you could use the black.

The asphalt type tars, or the rubberized undercoatings are good at sound deadening and good at corrosion protection except where cuts or tears may appear in which case moisture could be trapped between the metal and the undercoating accelerating rust and corrosion.

Are there any national chains that exist anymore that do undercoating, any idea what they use. Recommendations.

Old 05-20-2003, 07:29 PM
Wish I could help. I had mine done at the dealership I bought my truck at. If you have been driving your truck around make sure before you do any undercoating you have it very clean where your going to apply the undercoat.

Old 05-26-2003, 06:27 PM
Do any of those rust proofing francises still exist, like Ziebart? Anyone have any products to recommend. Any comments on the use of ultafine wax versus the asphalts. I have read that the waxes are better for the long term as they have healing ability around scratches and water doesn't get under them.

Old 05-26-2003, 09:10 PM
Ziebart is still around, not like they used to be though. Someone told me that they use a combination of cosmoline and bees wax.

Don't know how accurate that is but the stuff they do use is a beotch to get off any unwanted spots!!

Old 05-28-2003, 09:42 PM
The trend in this area (Buffalo, N.Y. seems to be an oil type substance that you have sprayed on once a year and costs about $100.00.

My brother has used this for a number of years on his 91 F150 and swears by it. I had it done to my 2000 Lariat which I bought last year.

I talked to the guy at my Ford Dealer who sells the traditional under coat and he said that he thought that the oil stuff was more effective.

If you are interested at all, let me know and I'll get you the info on it. Bruce Chamberlin

Old 05-29-2003, 04:31 PM
found these products

http://www.waxoyl.com/en/produkte/hardwax.htm

There is one company locally that uses this product. Its a hard wax.

There is another company that used an asphalt product, but claims to be very good at preping the truck, masking tape, etc. He swears by the asphalt and that only thing that will hold up to abrasion, and says that 'Rusty Jones used to use a wax product and now they are out of business".

Any recommendations

Quick Reply: Rust Proofing Undercoat