Base or clear "fogging" up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 10:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Base or clear "fogging" up?

I had my doors and tailgate replaced just under two years ago for rust. Now the paint on the upper door has begun to get foggy on the drivers side. Almost looks like a bad blend or overspray, or dead pigment in the base coat? I'll try to get a pic of it later, has to be in certain light only where you can see it. The paint finish in that area has always been a little iffy, no orange peel at all, but kind of grainy looking. Of course I noticed a place they forgot to buff under the mirror, lol. I'm not griping too much on that, I've been there and forgot that before, hehe. What could this be caused by though, did the paint get overheated, or did water soak through the clear somehow? I'm scared they will say too bad, warranty on that work is long gone. Maybe it's time for those graphics, hehe.,,,,98

BTW, I'm now noticing things in the paint and clear that would have got me fired or griped at severely if I did them, why are other people allowed to get away with that stuff? I never did?

Old 05-24-2003, 06:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might be clearcoat failure.

Old 05-24-2003, 06:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

I'll find out Monday I guess, gonna go see the dealer man, sigh. What gets me is that this is a brand new panel, not a previously painted piece where you might expect these kind of problems?
The other things I was spekaing of were sanding scratches in the basecoat. Where it was sanded with too heavy of a grit and then basecoated. This makes the metallic stand out in the sanded portion, highlighting the sanding scratches. There's also trash flakes, uneven color sanding, etc. Some parts of the panel appear factory, while others have the clarity of a showcar finish. Some spots like under the mirror were never buffed out entirely, so the colorsanding is still there. These things were not readily apparent when I picked up the truck, but have appeared over time when the paint fully cured. I can overlook the specs of blue pearl in the door jambs, just don't pass off shoddy exterior work on me, lol!,,,,98

Quick Reply: Base or clear "fogging" up?