Suggestions for Comparison - Z v. UPP

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 08:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for Comparison - Z v. UPP

My Zaino order arrived yesterday and my UPP order should be here in the next few days. My thought was to do half of my truck in Z and the other half in UPP to do a full comparison. Now I'm not really sure I want to, or need to, go that far. Would splitting the tailgate be enough to compare the two products?

Old 05-29-2003, 09:08 AM
I am not a professional detailer, but I would think that would be good enough to compare. What color is your truck? Asking that because I would like to know if your using Z2 or Z5.

For the Zaino are you going to put at least 3 coats on? I find on my silver truck that at about 5 coats it has its best shine.

Are you going to leave the two different waxes/polishes on the tailgate for a long time, like at least 4 - 6 months to see just how well they last? As in no new coats?

It will be interesting to see what you find. Good luck

Old 05-29-2003, 09:20 AM
My truck is True Blue (very dark) so I will be using Z5 instead of Z2 as recommended on this site by several people. I plan on applying three coats of each (even though that will take three days with the UPP - 24 hours between coats) and then leaving it alone for atleast two months. Two months should give me a pretty good idea of the durability as I live in Tampa so it will be VERY hot and humid over the next few months, but if both still look good, I'll let them go longer. I will also be using the Gloss enhancer recommended by each product (Z6 and PUGE) on a regular basis. Anything I'm forgetting?

Old 05-29-2003, 11:17 AM
Sounds like you got it. Your going to dawn wash the tailgate first right? That way you will insure both products will not be put on over possible other wax.

Old 05-29-2003, 11:45 AM
Yep, dawn wash and then clay and then wash again just to be sure. Truck is only a few months old so I doubt the claying is really necessary, but it doesn't take that long. Oh, I'm going to split it right side v. left side instead of top v. bottom.

Old 05-29-2003, 12:31 PM
Got a question on the UPP? Do you have to buff it with a buffer to get a good shine?

Old 05-29-2003, 01:19 PM
G8RDave,

If you want to get a good comparison, do panels that are right next to each other. If you have a SuperCab, or SuperCrew, do one door with "Z", and one with UPP. However, doing half of the tailgate with one, and the other half with the other product should also show you what you need to see.

I've used both the Z, and the UPP. I've switched to the UPP. One or two coats of UPP, has the same wet look as 4 or 5 coats of Z5. However, you be the judge on yours. I think you'll like the UPP......... easy on, easy off. Make sure you use the UPC before the UPP.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 05-29-2003, 01:21 PM

Nope, you don't have to buff with a buffer to get a good shine. Apply a coat, wait about 45 minutes to an hour, and wipe it off. Goes on and comes off easy!

Old 05-29-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Boss_429

Nope, you don't have to buff with a buffer to get a good shine. Apply a coat, wait about 45 minutes to an hour, and wipe it off. Goes on and comes off easy!
Thank's Boss

Old 05-29-2003, 08:41 PM
Boss, is the UPC just to clean the paint or does it help the UPP bond (sorta like Z1)? I didn't order the UPC thnking that my paint will be very clean prior to application and therefore it would not be needed. If it helps bonding I may have to order some. I want a true comparison.

Oh, and I have the SuperCrew so maybe I'll do the two doors on one side. A larger area might be easier to see.

Old 05-29-2003, 08:43 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quick question... is the UPP a synthetic as well?

Old 05-29-2003, 08:48 PM
IMO
If it was me, I would do the test using the hood because its the part that takes the most beating from dust, industrial fall out, bugs, etc. See which side takes the most toll for the elements.

The biggest problem I have is the bugs, see which side is the easiet to remove them, and while your at it, compare which side retains it shine. The hood may also be easier to take pictures to display a side by side comparison.

Old 05-29-2003, 09:21 PM
RP, yes, UPP is synthetic too (as I said in another post, carnuba just can't last in this heat, although I love the look).

Kali, I thought about the hood as well. But my tailgate gets dustier than anything else (and I understand that Z attracts a fair amount of dust). I have a bugflector so very few bugs hit the hood itself. I could split the grill though.

Last edited by G8RDave; 05-29-2003 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:30 PM
G8RDave..... I think you've got a great idea and a pretty good plan. Whatever panels you decide to use for your test, please put a post out here with pics right after you wax the truck (i.e. while it's perfect), and then do another post with pics after a couple months. I'm seriously considering the UPP stuff, so I'm curious to see how your test turns out. Good luck.

-Mike-

Old 05-29-2003, 10:37 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by G8RDave
RP, yes, UPP is synthetic too (as I said in another post, carnuba just can't last in this heat, although I love the look).
Thanks Dave...

Quick Reply: Suggestions for Comparison - Z v. UPP