Prep help for UPP Application

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prep help for UPP Application

I'm thinking about trying Platinum's UPP product on my wife's SUV (first). I do however have an issue I need to resolve before applying this stuff. My question is, how do I cover the swirls and minor scratches (and there are a bunch) in the finish before sealing the finish with UPP. I had intended to use Platinum's Paint Cleaner prior to UPP, but I'm wondering if I can use a product like Meguiars #9 or 3M Swirl Remover before using the Platinum products.

What sequence and products should I use to get the best looking and most durable shine?

Wash, Clay, Re-wash, ?????,?????,?????, UPP

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Mike-

Old 05-29-2003, 10:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with Meguiar's #9 and then apply UPP. You can use something like that.

Do a DAWN wash right after this before applying a synthetic to wash away all the oil and filler these products put on the paint so that UPP can stick better since it is a synthetic.

Old 05-29-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Intel486
Go with Meguiar's #9 and then apply UPP. You can use something like that.

Do a DAWN wash right after this before applying a synthetic to wash away all the oil and filler these products put on the paint so that UPP can stick better since it is a synthetic.
So if I'm following along correctly, I:

- wash
- clay
- re-wash
- apply a coat of Meguiar's #9
- wash
- apply a coat of UPC
- apply a coat (or two) of UPP

If I dawn wash right after applying the #9, won't I remove it and still end up with a swirl/scratch problem? I'm a little vague on that step.

-Mike-

Old 05-29-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by BigDeal
So if I'm following along correctly, I:

- wash
- clay
- re-wash
- apply a coat of Meguiar's #9
- wash
- apply a coat of UPC
- apply a coat (or two) of UPP

If I dawn wash right after applying the #9, won't I remove it and still end up with a swirl/scratch problem? I'm a little vague on that step.

-Mike-
I recently did the Platinum treatment on my Ranger only I didn't do the SMR step. When you do #2, rewash, it is necessary to have a clean paint surface for synthetics to bond properly because of there molecular structure differences between them and carnuba. However, I don't feel you need to use Dawn after a clay job but you do need to wash off the residue. A good quality car wash like the one Platinum makes will work just fine. I may be wrong here but this is the way I see and have no problem either. After Meguiars #9 it will be necessary to Dawn or another alternative to strip the oils left behind by the SMR. When I say alternative ways of stripping wax and oils, a safer way to do it so you don't damage the trim. Washing a vehicle with Dawn twice a day seems harsh too me. Your neighbors will prolly be lookin at ya like That's the thrid time today he's washed that thing, lol

Anyway, check out my "alternative ways of stripping wax thread" if you want https://www.f150online.com./forums/s...hreadid=116204 This is a good debate to what else is there to use so you can strip junk but not the trim. Hope this helps,,,,91

Old 05-30-2003, 01:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are using the Plastinum Paint Cleaner, then don't worry about the DAWN wash after polishing. You also don't have to DAWN wash it before you polish.

Old 05-30-2003, 05:46 AM
Yea guys.............. I highly recommend either using the Platinum paint cleaner, or Klasse AIO prior to the UPP. Either one cleans everything off the paint, and lays down a bit of synthetic for the UPP to bond to. I use the Klasse AIO because it seems to add a little more gloss to the finished product (plus the fact that I had some AIO)!

Quick Reply: Prep help for UPP Application