Buffers

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffers

I got a question about using buffers. I have been washing and waxing cars for people in the family over the last few weeks and often do my truck. But I always wax it by hand and buff it with a towel. One of my uncles is letting me borrow his orbital buffer for a while. I have never used one before, since I always done everything by hand. Are they safe to used on most cars? Also do you wax the vehicle like you normally would and then use the buffer instead of a towel to buff it out?

I haven't used it yet, but probably will tomorrow afternoon on his truck. I wanted to go ahead and post this tonight so that someone can answer before tomorrow so I would know what I am doing, and so I don't mess his truck up. It is an older dodge, but still, I don't want to scratch it up or anything. Plus, he told me I needed to get a new pad for it, because the one on it is ragged out. Any suggestions there?
Thanks

Old 06-01-2003, 12:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It probably takes bonnets and not foam pads.

Don't use it if you only have terry bonnets for it. They tend to leave swirls easily. Use foam bonnets for applying the wax if he has any. Buff the wax residue off by hand.

I'm a Pro detailer and still buff wax residue off by hand even though I have two buffers sitting in my truck (A Rotary and a Dual-Action). Use the buffers to apply wax and then buff it off by hand.

If you start doing a lot of vehicles for the family, then think about getting S100 paste wax and microfiber towels. I use this wax a lot and I can apply it by hand and buff it off by hand faster than when I use my buffer to apply wax. It goes on and comes off that easily!

Old 06-02-2003, 12:31 PM
You can buy foam and lambs woold bonnets that slip over the pad on your orbital buffer. I usually put the wax on by hand and take it off with a lambs wool pad. Keeps the swirl marks to a minimum. Also while washing don't use a foam pad. They hold in trash and is hard to get out. It will create swirl marks and scratches. Lambs wool works the best. Real soft.

Old 06-02-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by svtlightning93
Lambs wool works the best. Real soft.
Never used lambs wool, but I've always used a 100% cotton cleaning mit. They're cheap to buy and do a super job. They also minimize swirls.

-Mike-

Old 06-12-2003, 10:26 PM
I agree on the 100% cotton. I've never had luck applying wax with a buffer, wastes too much and doesn't save much time. I stopped using the terrycloth bonnets to buff it out. Go through too many too fast. I just fold up a 100% cotton towel and when it starts to get dirty I refold it to a clean area.
(trick I learned from Zaino's web site)

Quick Reply: Buffers