Water stains

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Water stains

Is there any way to remove water spots? I dry my truck everytime I wash it but the rear window and some others re badly spotted.

Old 06-02-2003, 05:42 AM
Depends how bad the stains are. Try a clay bar first. You might need to go to a glass polish to remove them. I have an old can of Bon Ami cleaner that works great for cleaning windows. Don't know of they still make the Bon Ami as mild as the one I have though?

Last edited by Boss_429; 06-02-2003 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:32 AM
I just successfully fought this battle . . .

I recently went to Yakima, Washington for the weekend. It is where I was born and raised. The trees at my mother's house dripped on my truck to I washed it off, but I did not dry my truck for about two hours. (I got side tracked with social obligations) When I went back out to my truck it had BAD water spotting on the glass and left some on the paint as well. I dried it off, but it was too late. You could feel the crystal formations of the hard water on the glass from the calcite content in the water. At least that is what I was told caused it. Anyway when I got home . . .

I searched the forum and came up with the following thread.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...rd+water+glass

Read the whole thing! I was particularly interested in the posts by BERVINATOR and BLOWNHARLEYFORD.

I decided to try Bar Keepers Friend (it is refered to in the thread as Bar Keepers Helper). It is available at most grocery stores and a great product. I have used it for lots of things for a long time.

I tried the White Distilled Vinegar routine and it did absolutely nothing. I soaked towels in vinegar and let it sit on the windows for 10 or 15 minutes at a time and scrubbed with it . . . Nothing.

Then I used Bar Keepers Friend on a sponge. I started out cautiously, which I would recommend. But I ended up being fairly agressive with it. Use enough water to make a paste that spreads very easily and use a circular pattern, rinse well, check and repeat as neccessary. I got my windows back looking just GREAT! I was so pleased.

Use it only on the OUTSIDE of your windows, NOT on the inside. That is where the tint is applied, and you can do damage to that tint coating.

Try it! I got just great results with it.

Tom Hall

Old 06-03-2003, 08:31 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ahh Yakima. Very near the metropolis of Moxee (Hops capital of the world). I'll be out there in about two weeks...

Thanks for the tips on this 'Barkeeper's stuff. Sounds like I might need to add it to my aresonal.

RP

Old 06-03-2003, 11:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would try some diluted CLR first.

Old 06-03-2003, 02:13 PM
Not sure J150

Originally posted by J-150
i would try some diluted CLR first.
Part of the effort in the thread listed above was stay away from materials that might damage paint and plastic trim etc.

The Bar Keepers Friend doesn't damage anything at all and worked very well for me. I was able to bring my windows back to "brand new" looking. So, my take on it is stick with a product and a procedure that is both successful and doesn't damage anything else in the process.

Just my take based on experience. There are no doubt other solutions that will work also.

Tom

Quick Reply: Water stains