POR-15 anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question POR-15 anyone?

I was talking to 98Screamer earlier and he was telling me about POR-15, looks like a really tough, rock hard filler or coating. Since my Ranger has beginning cancer (a.k.a rust) on the inside of the tailgate where the lip is, maybe I can use this for the protected barrier and then paint over it????

Also, I was thinking of doing what Harley did to his truck with the Rustoleum job, which BTW looks awesome, but just use POR-15 on the underside of it too, Any Suggestions here????

Finally, what gets me is with most fillers you would associate with, you have to clean, sand, grind, clean and all that wonderful stuff, with POR-15 you don't have to, just clean the surface off thoroughly and coat it????? Looks like pretty good stuff,,,,,anyone ever use the sh_t before,,,,91

Old 06-02-2003, 09:34 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sound like you have a valid idea but I can't say I've ever used it.

Keep us posted on how you deal with your rust.

RP

Old 06-02-2003, 10:43 PM
I hate rust,,I really can't stand it

Rust unfortunately is nothing more than the automtive version of cancer and it spreads and spreads and if left untreated it spreads so far that it kills our trucks and all joking aside people too.

Rust is like a pimple,,,,you treat it, it goes away unless you pop it and it breaks the bathroom mirrior, lol Automotive, the goo inside that needs to be popped is oxidation, moisture and whatever else goes along with it.

Rust is like a mole,,,,big, ugly looking, and well,,,,,,uuummmmmm, just fugly Like Austin powers says: MOLEY MOLEY MOLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M GONNA CHOP IT UP AND MAKE GUAKAMOOOOOOOOOOOOLEY WITH IT!!!!!!!! er something like that I"ll keep everyone posted of how my rust situtation is going,,,,,,91

Old 06-03-2003, 09:19 AM
POR15 is a really good product. The original POR15 is designed for undercarriage areas as it is not UV rated. Chassis Coat is a POR15 UV rated product. The products are definately high quality and they can go over brushed cleaned rust, but never loose rust or dirt or oil. If you are going to topcoat you may need to use a primer as an intermediate bond, and the Chassis Coat instead of the original POR15. Products have good adhesion and dry rock hard. check out www.porstore.com, ask for a complete catalog, they make a lot of other good products also.

Old 06-03-2003, 04:08 PM
I've never used POR-15, and i doubt i ever will. Just a expensive can of rustoleum IMO
Used rustoleum on both of my trucks for years and its held up great.
You don't really even have to sand all the rust off underneath if you dont want to with the rustoleum, just get the loose stuff off, but i figured while i'm under there, what the heck

Old 06-03-2003, 04:30 PM
I've used POR-15 in several applications... great stuff, but as stated above just plain ol' POR-15 is not UV rated, and WILL break down... You'll need to prime, and paint it if you want it exposed, but yes it is rock hard, and yet somewhat flexible, also chemical and heat resistant. I used it to paint the block, and heads on my '71 El Camino, and after 2 years no problems... I've even tried sand blasting it to no avail...

Quick Reply: POR-15 anyone?