Door Crack? Wtf!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 01:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Harley#356
...she refused to order me a door to replace the cracked one, and will only authorize them installing the repair kit
No offense Josh, but I think the wool is being pulled over your eyes. The order person is not the one who makes the call at a stealership... sounds like the person who promised you a door overstepped their authority and is passing the buck for their screw up.

Demand a door. If they won't go to another dealer. FWIW, I have NEVER met a Ford body shop that could apply a pinstipe straight.

Old 06-13-2003, 11:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Harley#356,

Sorry to hear about your doors. I had both doors on my '99 fixed right after this whole thing came to light and here's what I learned. First, be VERY explicit with your expectations around the quality of the finished work. I apparently wasn't and when I brought my truck home and washed it, I found overspray all over the rest of the truck. Oh yea, and the driver's door had re-cracked already.

OK, so I take the truck back and keep my cool. (Very important.) I go over the problems with the Body Shop Manager and leave the truck again for 3 days. I even got as specific as to note that I wouldn't accept overspray in the door jamb areas and / or any masking lines. This time, it came back perfect. (And I'm almost as picky as you.) When I traded in the truck 2 years later, everything was still perfect. So, be careful and be specific and I think you'll be very happy. Besides, they've done a ton more of these repairs now. Good luck!

Old 06-13-2003, 07:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Harley,

Probably not a good time to add more bad news, but do you realize we can no longer tell RockPick that Zaino prevents door cracks? On the bright side, we can still say it prevents baldness, cures erectile dysfunction, whitens teeth and attracts members of the opposite sex. The jury is still out on what it does for "love handles" though. Good luck!

Old 06-13-2003, 10:26 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It cures ED?!?!? Damn, no wonder 01 XLT loves the stuff so much!

On the flip side of that though... let me know when you hear about the love handles thing... I might buy a case then.

RP

Old 06-14-2003, 12:37 PM
OK...

Question:

My doors are cracked, and out of warranty. My question is, what to do? I know I can go (pay) for new doors, but is that even worth it? I guess I'm asking, what happens if you just let it go?

Most of the discussion revolves around having the dealer perform a fix under warranty, which does not apply to me. Or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-14-2003, 06:43 PM
Re: OK...

Originally posted by Coronach
My doors are cracked, and out of warranty. My question is, what to do? I know I can go (pay) for new doors, but is that even worth it? I guess I'm asking, what happens if you just let it go?
I'd bet, if you pitch a hardy bithc, they would repair this stuff post warranty. Its a well known issue that they should at least be willing to split the costs with you on.

Old 06-15-2003, 01:22 PM
Well, I'm also the 2nd owner of the truck. I dunno how they'd feel about that, but I suppose its always worth asking. Anyone have any ideas how to go about it, besudes just going in there cold and asking for 2 new doors?

Also, what happens if you just let the door cracks go unchecked?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-15-2003, 09:59 PM
cracked up

thanks alot guys...im reading all this stuff about cracks on drivers door.....so i run outside and sure enough my door is also cracked.i am going to the dealer tommorow moring...
99 f150, 5.4

Old 06-18-2003, 12:36 PM
When i had my 00 f-150 the dealer did an excellent job on the repair. To the point that you couldnt even tell they did the repair. They also did it at no cost and my warranty was up by 2000 miles. Since i had purchase the truck there they cut me a good deal as far as i could tell. But i also used them to do the maintance on the truck rather then using juffy lube or someone elese.

Old 06-19-2003, 12:10 AM
Moderator &

Any new news on this Josh? I"m interested in hearing how it went.

RP

Old 06-21-2003, 01:06 PM
took the truck in last monday, they said it should be done this tuesday

Old 06-21-2003, 01:15 PM
Hope it turns out good for you Josh...

Old 06-21-2003, 06:59 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Harley#356
took the truck in last monday, they said it should be done this tuesday
Keep us posted keyhole...

You'll probably want to put some Meguiars on those new doors... Zaino causes door cracks.

RP

Old 06-21-2003, 07:03 PM
Harley,

That really sucks man. Keep us all posted on the outcome!

Jag

Old 06-21-2003, 09:28 PM
Thanks guys, when i get it back, i'll post how it all went, and if i get time, a few pics of the work they did.

Not sure though, gonna be a busy week. working down the shore tomorrow until tuesday. Pick up the truck tuesday night if its finished. Wednesday take it to get the muffler put on, and get the old truck's muffler put on since i blew off the old one , and then thusday Krix might come down and i'm going to install his front drop and bilsteins on his 03 HD 2tone. Friday wash and put a coat of zaino on the parts that weren't painted and change the oil in both trucks. Saturday pack up, and sunday i am gone until August!

Quick Reply: Door Crack? Wtf!?!?!?