Door Crack? Wtf!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Door Crack? Wtf!?!?!?

Somebody give me the quick low down on door cracks. I don't feel like searching and reading the five billion posts on it.

Went to get my alignment done today, and as the mechanic went to get in my truck to pull it around back, the very 1st thing he said is "ah, i see you have a door crack too". i was like what the *******! i thought they solved that problem by 00?

Well, there's a nice 1/2" crack on the outside of my drivers side door, coming out from the bottom edge of the window molding horozontally. I'll upload the pic later.

Anyway, as pissed off as i am, i am SOOOOO happy that he noticed it because my warranty is up in 2 weeks
I'm really suprsied i never noticed it before though...guess cuz i haven't zainoed since november and only been washing the truck, i missed the tiny little detail there. Passenger door is okay, but i wantt them to brace that side up anyway.

Just venting here, cuz i am soooooo pissed off.

o yeah, to top it all off, my drivers side door's paint is absolutley PERFECT!!! i mean not a flaw on there, not a drop of paint, a spec of orange peel. nothing! I was so proud of that door. LOL! now i'll probably get stuck with a fuggin orage peely crappy looking paintjob after the dealer lays their cruddy hands on my baby.

Old 06-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Man that really sucks. You might get lucky with the paint job and not have to worry about it. My Ford dealer don't do any body work it is all done by an outside shop and they are top notch. I had to go there before when someone keyed my tailgate and both rear quarter panels and they did an awesome job. If you get a good shop it should come out better then factory...

Old 06-09-2003, 06:14 PM
yeah, i want to try and see if they can contract out my paint job, because when they repained the passenger door like 2 years ago, they left it FULL of orange peel
i'd actually be happy if the passenger door cracked, at least they'd have a second shot at getting the paint right. LoL.

hmm....where's my hack saw j/k

Old 06-09-2003, 10:29 PM
Be glad you caught it when you did. I had the dreaded door crack on the drivers side and the dealer fixed it and braced the passenger side flawlessly. I only found out about it after reading it here on the site went to look and sure enough. My 2000 was almost out of warranty, I called and the dealer didn't even question, just called me for an appt once the brace kits came in. They had the truck for 3 days.
Good luck

Old 06-09-2003, 10:41 PM
Banned
Sorry to hear that, I hope you can get it taken care of.

Old 06-10-2003, 02:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Harley,

did you get any pics yet?
I would love to see an up close pic, as well as a pic taken from a distance.

Thanks
Habibi

Old 06-10-2003, 10:04 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Josh,

Don't know if you got everything info wise that you were looking for. Rather then search then entire forum, how about just going to the home page, and click on the Door crack link on the right hand side of the page ?
That is part 2, part 1 is linked at the bottom of the page.
https://www.f150online.com/articles/cracks2.html

You might want to have them do the pass side, just in case. It might not have cracked yet due to not being opened and closed as much as the driver's door. If you used it every time you used the driver's door, it might have also cracked already.

Take a read through the article ( Mike did a nice job with this ), and get ahold of your dealer.

Steve

Last edited by SSCULLY; 06-10-2003 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:05 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear about this Josh... that really sucks.

Old 06-10-2003, 08:56 PM
well, i went out to the dealership today. they ordered the kit to repair the drivers door, and to fix the passenger door before it does crack. but after reading that article, i'm now wondering if i really should have them replace the doors, since they will have to be rpainted anyway.

any suggestions on this?

talk about being bummed out right now i knew there had to be a downside to having such a low build# 00 HD

i'll upload that pic tomorrow.

Old 06-11-2003, 12:47 AM
My 1998 started the door crack in December (but hardly got driven last semester in the spring since I was studying abroad), I bought it in August used. Really pissed me off to see it... after I worked a long time to get one I could pay off easily. Since it is obviously out of warranty, after getting a quote to fix it... I decided to just deal with it till I sell it a few years down the road. The passenger side has not gotten it yet, but does not get rolled down much either. Now I just only roll down the windows when I only really need to... otherwise I just do air conditioning. Really stinks. Still love the truck though.

Sorry to hear about the door crack Harley... my only suggestion is, while you have your warranty still... ask for a new door... no harm in asking.

Old 06-11-2003, 09:15 PM
Harley as soon as you get a pic post it ok...

Old 06-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Door Crack

I noticed the door crack in March on my 2000 Lariat. (Out of warranty) Not long after that I took it in to the dealer armed wth printouts from this site describing the problem and stating what the fix is. I als had a technical service bulletin describing the fix for the problem. As I have been a loyal customer of this dealership and the service manager is a young guy who just got the job and wants to keep his customers happy, he said hee would support my case. However, he said that he could not make the call himself. He had to refer it to the engineer for this area. Well, about a week later the engineer evidently had a look at what I brought in as well as talked to the service manager. When i called the dealership, the service manager said I would be getting two new doors. That is pretty col as oly one has the crack, However, both have very minor paint damage and one has a ding from a shopping cart. Now, when the doors come in is anyone's guess. They are on back order. But, they are in the works. So, one of these days my truck should look like new again. By the way, Ford elected to replace the doors as that is easiest for them and and produces the bext fix. I am a little concerned that the paint may not match exactly, but we will see. So, insist that the doors be replaced. Note. Inside the dooors they have reinforced the area. The crack should not happen again with the reinforcement.

Old 06-12-2003, 08:55 PM
Well, yesterday the dealer said they'd replace the drivers door. today they call back and say they won't

even my buddy who is the head salesman out there who's got a 02 HD was talking with the lady that is incharge of ordering the stuff. she refused to order me a door to replace the cracked one, and will only authorize them installing the repair kit

My truck goes in for surgery on monday.

i will also get it in writing that ford refused to replace my door even though i asked, just incase another crack comes back.
also, i'm gonna tell them that the truck better be in perfect shape and the doors and roof better look like new, and the pinstripe better be perfectly straight, or i'm gonna rape them up the azz with a splintered 6x6! LoL

Here's a link to a pic of the crack.

http://www.nhtoc.com/forum/showthrea...5&pagenumber=1

Old 06-12-2003, 09:25 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
G'luck Joshy...

Old 06-12-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Harley#356
Also, i'm gonna tell them that the truck better be in perfect shape and the doors and roof better look like new, and the pinstripe better be perfectly straight, or i'm gonna rape them up the azz with a splintered 6x6! LoL
Man, what a picture that comment paints! Ouch Ouch. Anyway, I hope they get it all worked out to your satisfaction. Good luck.

-Mike-

Quick Reply: Door Crack? Wtf!?!?!?