Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Question

I tried asking this over in the tranny forums, but I need an answer like quick. I asked what kind of transmission fluid my 5-speed manual uses, and was told Mercon. So, I went out today and bought some Valvoline Max Life Dexron III/Mercon ATF. Since it said "Mercon" clearly on the container, I thought this would be ok. But this is what worries me, it also says Dexron III on the container. What is Dexron III? Is it like additives or friction modifiers or something? And it clearly states that Valvoline Max Life exceeds the specs for Mercon. I noticed right away that my truck shifts better and smoother. And everything seems ok, but I've only driven it 5-10 miles. So I figured I would ask before I drive it any more. My major question is, will this ATF work ok with my tranny? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2003, 09:07 PM
Peacemaker,

DEXRON III, is the GM spec for trani fluid. It will probably be OK, but I know where your coming from. I too would prefer something that says "only" MERCON.

Hope this helps.

P.S. - Check the Valvoline site, and see what they say about it.

Old 06-14-2003, 09:49 PM
Ok thanks Boss. I'll check it out. But here is what is stated on the back of the container: Valvoline Max Life--Exceeds the latest performance requirements of DEXRON III and MERCON. Recommended for use in GM, Ford, Mazda,Toyota, and others where DEXRON III or MERCON fluids are specified.

I got this info straight off of the back of the Valvoline Max Life ATF container.

It also says Max Life is recommended for use in high milage, new and rebuilt transmissions, and WILL NOT void new car warranties.

So, I guess it's ok to use. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Old 06-15-2003, 11:02 AM
bump

Old 06-15-2003, 09:11 PM
Nevermind, I found my answer.

Old 06-15-2003, 09:41 PM
Peacemaker,

I just ordered some Royal Purple "Synchromax" to change the fluid in my 5-speed and transfer case. It "meets or exceeds" the standards put forth by Ford.

The bad news is...Paceperformance.com sent me 6 bottles of Royal Purple Gear Max by mistake. I HAD to make a long distance call to Ohio to obtain return authorization (no 1-800 number). I called on Thursday and the guy said, (and I quote) "Uhh, we're gonna be closing in a few minutes, so I can't do nothing today. I'll call you tomorrow." He got my info but I never heard from him on Friday. By the time I got home from work they were closed again. So now I have to make ANOTHER long distance phone call on Monday to try and get my order

(and I got the link to Pace from royalpurple.com)

Chknbone

Old 09-30-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by chknbone
Peacemaker,

I just ordered some Royal Purple "Synchromax" to change the fluid in my 5-speed and transfer case. It "meets or exceeds" the standards put forth by Ford.

The bad news is...Paceperformance.com sent me 6 bottles of Royal Purple Gear Max by mistake. I HAD to make a long distance call to Ohio to obtain return authorization (no 1-800 number). I called on Thursday and the guy said, (and I quote) "Uhh, we're gonna be closing in a few minutes, so I can't do nothing today. I'll call you tomorrow." He got my info but I never heard from him on Friday. By the time I got home from work they were closed again. So now I have to make ANOTHER long distance phone call on Monday to try and get my order

(and I got the link to Pace from royalpurple.com)

Chknbone
Hi guys, I came across this thread by websearch. Chknbone, I would like to know which one of our sales reps said this to you. Please email me your name and if you have your invoice, the invoice information or at least the date of purchase.

For the record, 888 #'s are Toll Free like and 800 #. Unless you were calling area code 330 phone #, you probably called the 888 Toll Free # that is listed everywhere at www.PACEPerformance.com, www.PaceParts.com, http://kn.paceparts.com . If you didn't call the 888 #, please use 888-748-4655 when trying to contact us in the future.

John
www.PACEPerformance.com
http://kn.paceparts.com

Old 10-08-2003, 08:25 PM
John,

I guess I should have done a follow up on this thread...

I don't know who the guy on that Thursday evening was. I didn't mind that I couldn't be helped just before closing. I can completely understand that. I'm not one of those people that expects someone to jump through hoops when I show up just minutes before closing. Especially over something that is being mail ordered.

It did bother me that I was not contacted the next day and I had to wait until Monday to call again.

As far as the phone number, there was an instruction sheet included in my order with VERY SPECIFIC directions on the process of how to return any item, which items were returnable and the condition of the item and the packaging for that item. Again, that's understandable. It protects you from receiving items that are not in a condition to re-sale. In these directions, it stated that no items could be returned without first obtaining a return authorization number and which number to call. It was not an 800 or 888 number and I decided to play by the rules and call the number on the instructions as opposed to the 1-800 ordering line.

I don't remember who I spoke with on that Monday, but they were very professional and helpful. He shipped out the correct order that day. When Pace received my returned items, my account was credited the correct amount with no problems.

I would have no problem ordering from Pace again from an "ordering" perspective. We're all human and we all make mistakes, that's part of life. From a "return" perspective, I'm still kind of iffy. I mean you tell me that I can call the 1-800 number for returns and I believe you. But what if I call it and "Bob" on the other end doesn't know that I can call it and tells me to call the Return Authorization number from the instructions? Then I'm stuck again.

chknbone

Quick Reply: Quick Question