q about Meguiars

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
q about Meguiars

I hope to be using Meguiars for the first time next week. Lets start from the begining.
I know first need to wash it with dawn to remove all the old wax.
Since my hood (only) has fine scratches (swarls) I bought the scratch X. Do i do the whole truck with it even though it only has a couple of light scuff marks? Do I need to do more than 1 coat?

Do I use the scratch x or the cleaner wax first?

Is it safe to put on multiple coats of the gold classic on in the same day?
I didn't have much luck with the search.
thanks everyone
Travis

Old 07-03-2003, 11:14 PM
Travis, I'm sure you'll get a number of responses to your questions, but I'll try and answer them as best 'I' can.

I too am an avid Meguiars user. I however limit the Meguiars products I use to their Professional line. Over time I've determined that these products work the best for me. Here's what I'd recommend, and as I said earlier, others will be along with other opinions.

1 - Wash the truck with a good car wash product (I use Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash). If you haven't applied a synthetic blend wax to the finish previously, or it has been some time since you last applied a natural wax to your truck, I'd recommend skipping the dawn wash. I'm not a big proponent of using a harsh detergent like what's in Dawn on the truck, because it is very hard on the rubber and moldings.

2 - Clay bar the truck after washing it. Don't have a recommendation as to brand here, as several companies make very good clay products. This step removes all the embedded contaminates and gets the surface super smooth and ready for polishing. Make sure you follow the directions for using the clay very carefully. You'll need to wash again after claying.

3 - Next, I'd use Meguiars # 9 Scratch Remover to get the fine scratches out of the finish. This product qualifies as a polish, so you 'can' apply it to the whole vehicle. I usually use the # 9 where scratches are present (hood / doors) and Meguiars # 7 Show Car Glaze (a polish) on the remainder of the truck. I personally have not had very good success using Scratch X, so I don't use it anymore.

4 - Final step is a coat (or two) of Meguiars # 26 Yellow Wax to protect the polished finish. I've found the Meguiars Gold Class wax just doesn't have very good durability / longevity, so I don't use it anymore. I also think the final shine is better with the Meguiars Professional line of products.

5 - In between washings you can always use Meguiars Quik Detailer to cleanup any bird droppings or contaminates that get on the finish.

That's about it. Good luck with your truck and I hope you enjoy shining up your truck as much as I do mine.

Here's what mine looked like after I performed the steps noted above.

-Mike-

Last edited by BigDeal; 07-03-2003 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:22 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BigDeal is right on with his recommendations.

Meguiars products are all that land on my vehicle...

I would recommend the 'FINAL INSPECTION' over 'QUICK DETAILER' though. Just a better product in my opinion.

Old 07-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
I would recommend the 'FINAL INSPECTION' over 'QUICK DETAILER' though. Just a better product in my opinion.
Rock's right with his recommendation. I however have found the Quik Detailer to be easier to come by (i.e. more stores stock it). I would however agree the Final Inspection is the better product.

-Mike-

Old 07-03-2003, 11:35 PM
Moderator &

So now that BigDeal and I have answered your questions (I was basically just on board for editorial purposes and to approve the aforementioned procedure), where can we send the bill?

RP

Old 07-03-2003, 11:37 PM
WOW, and you guys talk about Zaino having a lot of steps...

All I got to do is go by Z numbers...

Old 07-03-2003, 11:41 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
WOW, and you guys talk about Zaino having a lot of steps...

All I got to do is go by Z numbers...
I don't have to buy an extra $20 product to make mine work in a single day though. Stupid Z.

Everything I use is numbered you silly keyhole. Go back up to your damn Z thread and bath in your Z-2...

Better yet... go outside and use some vinegar to clean your windows. It would've been cheaper than giving more $ to your Z theifs.

Old 07-03-2003, 11:43 PM
thanks for the replies BigDeal and RP.
First off both of yalls trucks look great
since i already got the scratch x and the gold classic i will give them a shot. hell if i have to put on a coat once a month thats fine with me.
its been about 5 months since i waxed her (crapy turtle wax) so i'll skip the dawn.
didn't realize that using a clay bar was so important. can i get one at a auto parts store or do i have to order one offline? i am planning this day of fun on monday (weather permiting).
do yall use a buffer or do it by hand.

as for the bill, if i'm paying your coming to louisiana to give me a hand. hell i'll even get 01 down for a laugh.
thanks again,
travis

Last edited by mims; 07-03-2003 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:43 PM
I don't have to buy an extra $20 product to make mine work in a single day though. Stupid Z.

Everything I use is numbered you silly keyhole. Go back up to your damn Z thread and bath in your Z-2...

Better yet... go outside and use some vinegar to clean your windows. It would've been cheaper than giving more $ to your Z theifs.
You know I tried all those things today, the vinegar, the razor blade, the clay, the razor did take some of it off but not much. I sure hope the Z will work or I am going to have to replace my window...

Old 07-03-2003, 11:46 PM
Moderator &

Did you saturate your towel/rag with vinegar and really work it in? Try it multiple times?

Old 07-03-2003, 11:50 PM
Did you saturate your towel/rag with vinegar and really work it in? Try it multiple times?
Yes sir I did, I still smell like the freaking Easter bunny. It did take a little off, about like the razor blade. The clay did nothing.

Old 07-03-2003, 11:51 PM
The weird thing is it is only the front windshield, not the sides or the back window.

Old 07-03-2003, 11:53 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
The weird thing is it is only the front windshield, not the sides or the back window.
Nah... that's not weird.

I didn't have any urine left to spray down the other windows. Trust me, it was a neat trick getting it on the front windshield.

You didn't notice two foot prints on your front bumper did you?

RP

Old 07-04-2003, 12:18 AM
Nah... that's not weird.

I didn't have any urine left to spray down the other windows. Trust me, it was a neat trick getting it on the front windshield.

You didn't notice two foot prints on your front bumper did you?

RP
ROFLMMFAO...

Old 07-04-2003, 10:33 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What Bigdeal listed is great. Just one thing to add. Scratch-X is for deep scratches in localized areas, not a general polish for the whole vehicle. Use #9 or $83 and I think those minor scratches will be reduced.

Quick Reply: q about Meguiars