Planning to get some Meguires..

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning to get some Meguirars..

Never used Meguiars before, but I've got some fine scratches on the tailgate I want to remove, as well as the regular waxing of the truck.

Question: What products do I need? (for the waxing only, I've already got the car wash etc)

1.) Remove/Cover scratches on tail, and wax truck (oh and also a claybar.)

I know there are lots of you using Meg out there so thanks for any tips etc.

Also, what type of pricing should I expect?

-Will

(Edited for misspelling Meguiars )

Last edited by bloomquist; 07-06-2003 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:52 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Planning to get some Meguires..

Originally posted by bloomquist
Never used Meguires before, but I've got some fine scratches on the tailgate I want to remove, as well as the regular waxing of the truck.

Question: What products do I need? (for the waxing only, I've already got the car wash etc)

1.) Remove/Cover scratches on tail, and wax truck (oh and also a claybar.)

I know there are lots of you using Meg out there so thanks for any tips etc.

Also, what type of pricing should I expect?

-Will
Meguiars #9 will probably be the product that you need to remove slight scratches on the tailgate. This product will not remove anything that is deep but, if we're talking swirls and maybe, a slight scratch, this is the product. Outside of that, we might need to go up on the abrasion but, I'd recommend touchup paint and wetsanding if it can't be taken out with the #9.

Expect to pay around $10 for a bottle of Meguiars #9.

On the clay, I'm not sure that I've heard a bad report on a single product. I know that the mothers clay is used pretty frequently and, the general consensus is that people like it.. Personally, I'm using Meguiars Body Shop Professional Clay. I can't find it on their website but, a local distributor of Meguiars Professional Products (Mirror Glaze) may carry it. Check out www.meguiars.com for a dealer near you.

Waxxing. Two products that I'd recommend. Meguiars #26 (a pure yellow carnauba that goes on ultra easy and comes off just as easy) or the Meguiars Premium Paint Protection (PPP). This is a product that, I believe, still has a slight touch of abrsasion thus, if you don't have swirls or spiders, just use the #26. I use PPP about every 5th or 6th application as it does seem to work out any spiders/swirls a little better than straight #26.

Best of luck. Please feel free to email me if you have further questions about Meguiars products. rockpick@insightbb.com

Be forewarned... the Zainoids will hijack this thread in short order so, feel free to email me.

RP

Old 07-03-2003, 11:55 PM
Re: Re: Planning to get some Meguires..

Originally posted by RockPick
Be forewarned... the Zainoids will hijack this thread in short order so, feel free to email me.

RP
No, we just want to make sure things are "Fair and Balanced"

RockPick knows his chit with Mequires

Old 07-03-2003, 11:57 PM
Moderator &

Re: Re: Re: Planning to get some Meguires..

Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
RockPick knows his chit with Mequires
Thanks for the kudos there. I like to keep up to speed with them as it's basically all I use.

Not to toot my own horn here but, the shine on my truck kind of speaks much louder than me talking about their stuff.

Old 07-03-2003, 11:59 PM
Even though you have said before that pictures don't do great wax/polish jobs there due justice, your truck looks pretty damn sweet from the pictures...

Old 07-04-2003, 12:02 AM
Moderator &

Thanks...

One more thing on the Meguiars (or ANY OTHER wax or synthetic).

Surface prep makes all the difference in the world. If you don't prep it properly (preparing the paint for protection (eg: clay, polish etc)), it'll continue to look pretty good...

Put in an extra couple of hours and clay/polish etc, your vehicles will go from pretty good to DAMN!!!!

RP

Old 07-04-2003, 12:36 AM
hey, thanks for the replies! the scratches I had in the tail were from when the kid at the rental place (I rented a pressure wacher for the hosue not too long ago) let the tailgate down onto the conrete loading dock and then walked on the tailgate, thus denting it and leaving some fine scratches

I think I've seen Meguires products at the local Autozone/type places... Not exactly sure which ones though. I'm also gonna pick up some tire shine... any recommendations for that? And I've been using Armorall for the trim, anything wrong with that?

I really want to keep this truck looking better than new!

Old 07-04-2003, 12:37 AM
Side note: remember! the Paint on an XLT and look as nice as the paint on a KR

Old 07-04-2003, 09:19 AM
Zainoid here.............. with no intent on hijacking this thread!

Anyhow, like RP said, the #9 is a fine swirl remover/hider. As is the Meguiars Swirl Free Polish #82 (nearly the same product). If you add a coat of #7, or better yet, Meguiars Pro Hand Polish (easier to apply and remove, and higher gloss), those minor swirls should be un-noticeable, especially with a coat or two of #26 as a topper.

I also agree with RP that the Medallion PPP is a good "one step" product if the swirls are really minor.

Old 07-04-2003, 10:34 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll just recommend Meg #9 version 2.0. Suppsed to be better, but dunno why.

Old 07-04-2003, 10:42 AM
Moderator &

Autozone does carry some of the professional line however; you might have to do a little searching as I've noticed that not all of them have the same products on the shelves (especially here in Louisville).

From a tire shine standpoint.... this is a personal preference but, I don't like mine to gleam. I just want them to look good... light shine but nothing over powering.

If this is what you want, you might try Vinylex. This is a product from the makers of Lexol and comes in a blue spray bottle. I haven't seen this at AZ but, I know PepBoys carries it. Around $8/bottle.

I'm not an armor all fan in the least. They have improved their product but, I still don't think it offers the protection that just about every other product on the market offers.

RP

Old 07-04-2003, 11:22 AM
I like the shiny tires on my truck as a personal preference... IT dosen't matter a whole lot though..

And for any of you Zaino Lovers out there, I'm not Anti Zaino and I'm not Anti Meguires. I'm Anti TurtleWax

I'll probably be checking by Autozone or Pepboys or both before too long.

Thank y'all for the help!

Old 07-04-2003, 08:50 PM
My local PepBoys had a much better slection of the Meguiars professional line then AutoZone......Autozone has two pruducts in the line....The #7 and the #26....PepBoys had a whole lot more!

Old 07-04-2003, 09:31 PM
I have an Automotive Paint Supply store near me, and they have "EVERY" Meguiar's professional product, and if they don't have it, they will get it for me. Same prices as in the Meguiar's catalogs, so it's a pretty good deal.

Anyhow, go to the Meguiar's site, and do a search for dealers that handle the Professionl line of products in your area. You may find everything you need, and more! I never new about that place, until I did the search................... glad I did!

Old 07-04-2003, 10:23 PM
I was just looking at the Meg website, how does the quik wax work? Is it a dud or does it work well? And how much does polish add to the looks?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Planning to get some Meguires..