Washed and Detailed my truck with Meguiars today!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Washed and Detailed my truck with Meguiars...UPDATED WITH PICS

I finally did it! I washed it with the Meguiars Suds wash stuff (it comes in a pink bottle) It's amazing how much difference it made using the Meguiars wash instead of Armorall wash, the Meguiars wash came out much sparklier on the true blue paint.

After washingm I clayed it using the wash as lubricator there. The clay really makes a huge difference!! I was amazed by how much the clay changed the whole thing. I started claying the roof first (easier to hold there, no falling off as easily) cause I'd never used clay before. I cut about a third off the bar and used that and I didn't drop it till the very end when I was just finishing up I had many near misses and I droppped the spray bottle one time and broke it but I was just finishing so I folded the clay over and used the backside for the last little bit. I was gonna have to throw the clay out anyhow, it was so contaminated from all the junk that it had removed from the surface, so it didn't do anything other than make me roll my eyes at myself.

I then used the Meguiars Scratch X on the scratches. That stuff is another amazing product made by meguiars! It removes the small scratches on the first application (it only takes a couple seconds to apply) and then you can do a couple more coats if you have a deeper scratch (Which I had several of) It makes a huge difference in how the truck looks! Only one scratch in the hood didn't come completely out, cause it was real deep.

Then I put one coat of the wax on and then when I was finishing that up I heard thunder rumbling in a distance, so I finished up real fast and rubbed it over once real quick to get anything missed, and started getting all the supplies together, put the hose back in it's place and as I ran for the door, the heavens opened up and rain filled the skies (as well as Thunder and Lightning)

And so I didn't get pictures of that Sparkling Shiney True Blue paint that looks better than new!

Meguiars has a new user!!

PS: I'll get pics out as soon as it quits raining (if it ever does) and the truck gets dried and cleaned up again.

And a big thanks to everyone who helped by answering my questions and helping out etc!

Y'all have a great day tomorrow (and the rest of today)

-Will

Last edited by bloomquist; 07-11-2003 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:10 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad you like it... I'll be sending my consulting bill in the mail in the coming days. Please remit upon receipt.

RP

Old 07-11-2003, 09:03 AM
bloomquist:

Sounds like you're very happy with the outcome and that is excellent.

Question for you, RockPick or any others about the Scratch X:

Did you apply it by hand and just buff the scratch with hand pressure? How deep and how long was your scratch?

The reason I am asking is I have a scratch on my right rear quarter panel (truck bed) it is about 3/4" to 1" long and it is through the clearcoat, but NOT through the paint. I am wondering how well it would take that scratch out.

I do NOT want to use a buffer to do it. Another question is I have a silver metalic paint and wonder if buffing, even by hand since there are abrasives in the Scratch X is it will make the paint finish look odd when looked at from an angle.

Oh, one more question, the Scratch X is not a filler is it? Since I use Zaino I would not be able to have a filler that is wax based or the Zaino would not bond to that area. I was thinking it is more of an agreesive compond to basically sand down or smooth out the paint where the scratch is, would that be correct?

Old 07-11-2003, 11:50 AM
Moderator &

#9 and Scratch-X both contain fillers to my knowledge. I've tinkered with Scratch-X however; know very little about the product honestly.

Old 07-11-2003, 11:56 AM
Scartch X basically sands it, but it is a very very fine grit and does NOT leave marks after it removes the scratches. It is a hand applied and hand removed product.

Squirt a little out of your towel you're applicating with- apply it to the scratch (or if there are several rub it around some) if the scratch is large rub it back and forth on the scratch a couple times, and let it dry (only takes about half a minute to dry) then go over it with a clean towel. If your scratch is deep then you can repeat the process again if needed.

It left no marks at all when I used it (other than the scratch that was too deep to remove) and I have true blue paint, so I think it'd hide it even better on your silver paint.

Even if the Scratch X dosen't remove a scratch because it's so deep, it'll still minimixe it considerably. The one in my hood that it couldn't get completely out you can only see it when you look at the right angle, or get really close. Overall it's a really great product!

The price is generally between 5 and 10 bucks for one tube (which should last a long long time)

I do not use a buffer either, and I never have.

------

As for you Rockpick, I can't pay the bill cause I just spent all my money on a truck and stuff to keep it in new condition, so I think I'll file for bankruptcy

Old 07-11-2003, 11:58 AM
PS: My truck has water spots on it from the rain last night and so I'm going to wash it and then put a second coat of wax on today, and maybe a third...

Old 07-11-2003, 12:27 PM
Thank you bloomquist I am going to try that this weekend. I have had some Scratch-X for quite a while now. Received it as a present a while back just never had a need to use it, then when I did wasn't sure I wanted to try it for fear of screwing up my paint.

I was thinking that is was like sanding it which would mean it should be ok to wash off any residue and then apply my Zaino once I am done with it.

I'll give it a try this weekend, since I am going to try two products on my window for removing water spots. Again thanks again...

Old 07-11-2003, 12:59 PM
I think it's also suposed to be able to be used on non chromed rims as well...|

01: No problem! I like to learn and use that knowledge to help others. So in an indirect way Rockpick helped you

Old 07-11-2003, 01:05 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by bloomquist
...in an indirect way Rockpick helped you
Scary isn't it?

Old 07-11-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Scary isn't it?
Very much so....

Old 07-11-2003, 03:39 PM
FINALLY! PICS!

Old 07-11-2003, 03:40 PM
Old 07-11-2003, 03:45 PM
Old 07-11-2003, 07:15 PM
looks great
gotta love that rain
it rained on my truck today to , but it still looks good

travis

Old 07-11-2003, 08:06 PM
Very nice! Great color!

Quick Reply: Washed and Detailed my truck with Meguiars today!