Paint Prep Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Prep Question

After a lot of research and thought, I've finally decided to try Platinum products (Paint Cleaner and UPP) on one of my vehicles to see how this stuff works. I have two questions though before embarking down this road.

-1- I have some swirl marks / fine scratches to contend with, and I've heard the Platinum Paint Cleaner won't address them very well. What should I use in conjunction with (i.e. before) the Platinum Paint Cleaner to get rid of the swirls? Can I use a product like Meguiars # 9? Any comments on how to use it along with the Platinum products?

-2- Will I benefit significantly from waiting 24 hours and applying a second coat of UPP or is the 2nd coat unnecessary?

Let me know as I want to try this stuff on Monday.

-Mike-

Old 07-13-2003, 12:13 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I really doubt that the paint cleaner will remove the fine swirls. I'm not familar with that line of products but my suspecion is that it's more to remove oxidation by a chemical method, not really an abrasive one.

#9 might be the way to go...

RP

Old 07-13-2003, 02:47 PM
Big Deal,

Keep in mind that UPP is a sealant that needs a clean surface free of any oils, waxes or other residue that aren't compatible with the UPP. If you use the #9, you would want to follow it with a light cleaning with the UPC prior to the UPP. A lot of people have had great luck using #9, then Klasse AIO, and then UPP. I plan on trying Poorboys Pro Polish, followed by UPP, as the Pro Polish is a pure water based polish that should allow the UPP to bond and cure.

I think you WILL benefit from letting the UPP sit............ at least overnight. The polymers need time to cure. I've found that the UPP looks better a day or two after letting it sit anyway.

One last thing, as with all sealants, a thin coat is far better than a heavy coat, and makes the product easier to apply and remove. Also, let the UPP sit on there for about an hour before removing.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you need more info, or have any other questions.

Old 07-13-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Boss_429
Big Deal,
I plan on trying Poorboys Pro Polish, followed by UPP, as the Pro Polish is a pure water based polish that should allow the UPP to bond and cure.
Will the Poorboy's Polish address swirls and fine scratches like the Meguiars # 9 does?

Please comment on this polish/sealant process, as this is the process I was thinking of using.

1st - Meguiar's # 9 (DA applied)
2nd - Platinum UPC (DA Applied)
3rd - Platinum UPP (Hand Applied - One coat only)

-Mike-

Old 07-13-2003, 06:32 PM
Big Deal,

The Poorboys Pro Polish will address minor swirls and oxidation. If the swirls are nasty, he has 3 different levels of more aggressive Polish......... SSR1, SSR2, and SSR3 to handle just about anything, and they are all water based, so they should work with any sealant.

As for your 3 step process............. I think it will be fine, as long as the #9 removes the swirls. If not, and you want to stick with Meguiar's stuff, you could DACP, followed by #9 for the swirls.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Old 07-13-2003, 08:13 PM
Big Deal,

The Poorboys Pro Polish will address minor swirls and oxidation. If the swirls are nasty, he has 3 different levels of more aggressive Polish......... SSR1, SSR2, and SSR3 to handle just about anything, and they are all water based, so they should work with any sealant.

As for your 3 step process............. I think it will be fine, as long as the #9 removes the swirls. If not, and you want to stick with Meguiar's stuff, you could DACP, followed by #9 for the swirls.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!
Many thanks for all the feedback Boss. I may actually buy some of the Poorboy's Polish to try with my Platinum products. After all, I think I've still got a couple inches of space left in the cabinet that I keep my detailing stuff in! If I get and use the Poorboy's polish, do I still need to use the Platinum UPC (I think so as a base for the UPP, but I want to make absolutely sure) prior to my final coat of UPP.

Sorry for all the questions, but this sealant stuff is definitely new territory for me.

A final thought. How long have you gotten between UPP jobs (i.e. durability of finish).

-Mike-

Last edited by BigDeal; 07-14-2003 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:20 AM
Big Deal,

No problem, glad to help.

I don't think you'll need the UPC after the Poorboy's Pro Polish, as it is a pure polish (no oils, waxes, or silicones), and it's water based. So, I would put the UPP on right after the Pro Polish. My only concern would be whether the Pro Polish will get out all your swirls. Of course, I would have the same concern with #9. You want to get the swirls out as best as possible, as the UPP is very optically clear, and will show the imperfections.

As for the durability of the UPP, it's hard to say. I have 2 coats on the roof of my F-150 since the end of April, and I think it's starting to lose it's stuff. So, that's around 3 months, which is better than just about any carnauba.

Good luck.

Last edited by Boss_429; 07-14-2003 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:51 AM
BigDeal,

Any feedback here? How did you make out?

Old 07-16-2003, 10:35 AM
BigDeal,

Any feedback here? How did you make out?
Haven't had the time to detail the car yet. Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend (weather permitting). I also had emailed Dwayne at Premium Auto Care to see what he'd offer on the topic, so I thought I'd recap that info here for ya. He indicated that I can pretty much use whatever I want to (or need to) use to address the swirls (Meguiars, 3M, etc), but that I should follow that process with a good coat of UPC to remove any residue, oils, fillers and the like, and prepare the surface for the UPP coat. According to him, if I follow that process I should be able to address the swirls and prepare the surface for the UPP coat such that it should bond just fine. He also cautioned me to make sure whatever Quik Detail product I used did not contain carnuba or any light wax product as these would inhibit the next UPP coat from bonding properly. Given that, My Meguiars Quik Detailer (which I have a little over a gallon of currently) should work just fine.

I'll update you with some thoughts / comments when I get the Platinum stuff on the car.

Thanks again for all your feedback.

-Mike-

Old 07-16-2003, 11:41 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Paint Prep Question