The infamous door crack

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RockPick
As much hell as my wife puts my doors through by getting in and out of my truck, it's a wonder that I don't have full breaks in my doors from where she's slamming them all the time.

What is it with ANYONE that rides in my truck getting in and out they have to SLAM the hell out of the door? I think it's programmed into the females' genes.
Yep, I had to have a soft talk with one of my daughters friends. I basically told her, nicely, that my truck isn't a CHEVY, she was like Ohhhhhhhhhhh, ok, no problem now... I would have thought she would have known that since I don't need duct tape to keep my doors closed...

Old 07-25-2003, 10:24 PM
Did you're wife's father own a Chevy or Dodge truck?

Old 07-25-2003, 10:34 PM
2000FordStyle,
Thanks for the input! I stopped by the repair shop today and they tod me that Ford has the new piece of steel that they install. He was surprised my dealer was going to pay half. How did your buddy get them to pay the whole thing? The repair shop said they have had no problems after the fix, and their paint had a lifetime warranty. I think I'll just pay and have it done. The only good thing is I'll be able to smell the new paint for a few days.

Old 07-25-2003, 10:39 PM
Runner:

Is your truck out of warranty? If so by how many miles and/or years?

Old 07-26-2003, 07:49 AM
01 XLT Sport:
Yes it is. By about 5 months and I have 46,000 miles on it. It's been a great truck so far. Have any of you guy's had your rims start to corrode where your wheel weights are attached? I wish they would counter balance them and mount the weights on the back side.

Old 07-26-2003, 08:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Runner,
I think they fixed his truck free because they just finished mine and between the 2 of us have purchased about 6-8 vehicles from the same dealer. He was also good friends with the ex sales manager there. He did most of his dealing with them when I wasnt there so I dont know the specifics of it. I do know when I asked if it came back on the drivers door they said it would be another free of charge repair...

Old 07-26-2003, 12:08 PM
Runner:

I agree with 2000FordStyle about Ford fixing it. I would go to your dealer and being nice really try to get them to fix it. I don't recall how long the rust warranty is but I believe it is like 6 years or 100,000 miles. I really don't see the difference between that and the damn door cracking.

It can't hurt to at least try to get them to repair it, and you might want to call Ford Customer Service (phone number in your owners manual) and see if they could do something for you.

Old 07-26-2003, 01:05 PM
I don't have it...yet, but do you all know how much it would be to fix something like that?

Old 07-26-2003, 03:40 PM
The service rep was ver adamant (sp) about it not being rust. That is the thing that really irritates me, it is a problem, they know it, but, because it would cost Ford millions of dollars to fix it, they ignore it. I called customer service. The guy sounded shocked that my door had cracked and acted like mine was the first he had heard of. They basically said, it's out of warranty, tough crap, You should be thankful your dealer is willing to pay half! It really peaves me off. I really appreciate you guy's letting me vent. This a good site.

Old 07-26-2003, 06:06 PM
Runner:

You have any other Ford dealers in your area? If so try one of them and let them know how un-satisfied you are with your current dealer. You may luck out and they may think they can take advantage of helping you out and hoping you will buy from them the next time rather then the ******** you bought from to begin with...

Old 07-26-2003, 07:13 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
Runner:

You have any other Ford dealers in your area? If so try one of them and let them know how un-satisfied you are with your current dealer. You may luck out and they may think they can take advantage of helping you out and hoping you will buy from them the next time rather then the ******** you bought from to begin with...
This is actually a VERY good idea. I used this strategy here in Louisville after dealing with Star Ford and getting the shaft with no lube up the rear exit.

I went to Bill Collins Ford, which is kind of out of my way, and told them of my experiences over at Star. They put me up on a pedastool and took EXCELLENT care of me. I go back to see the same service writer anytime that we're in there and she always gets my problem taken care of... heck, she's pulled strings to make sure that certain things were taken care of under warranty that probably shouldn't have been.

With service that is above and beyond anything I've ever experienced before, why would I go anywhere else now?

RP

Old 07-26-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Runner
The service rep was ver adamant (sp) about it not being rust. That is the thing that really irritates me, it is a problem, they know it, but, because it would cost Ford millions of dollars to fix it, they ignore it. I called customer service. The guy sounded shocked that my door had cracked and acted like mine was the first he had heard of. They basically said, it's out of warranty, tough crap, You should be thankful your dealer is willing to pay half! It really peaves me off. I really appreciate you guy's letting me vent. This a good site.
It is sad that these companies think this way, but it is true for almost every company. They are going to save money any way that they can and that is one way to do it. They know about the problems that their products have, but 99% of them are not going to let you know that they know. Because if they do, then that means that they may lose sales.

Think of it this way. You go and buy a brand new TV. Others have told you to not buy that particular brand because of the problems that they had with them and you do it anyways. A few months down the road you start having problems like the others had so you call the manufacturer about it. Chances are, they are going to deny that there are any problems. If they tell you that they know all of their TV's had problems, they would probably lose a customer. You wouldn't spend your money on something that the manufacturer told you had a problem would you? Most people wouldn't. It is the same way with Ford, they are going to lie to people and say that they don't know of a problem, so they don't lose any business.

Like 01 XLT Sport and RockPick mentioned, try another dealer and see if they will fix it and tell them how the last dealer treated you. I am very satisfied with the dealer where I got my truck from, even though it is all the way on the other side of town and there are about 3-4 other Ford dealers on this side of town. Not everyone gives the same level of service and you have to go out and find the right one. Not every dealer is the same, so try and find a better one and see what happens. Hope this helps.

OK..Done now

Old 07-26-2003, 09:39 PM
I like both my dealers...

Old 07-27-2003, 07:49 AM
Out of curiousity I called another dealer, maybe not the best way. They told me they were not doing anything to fix door cracks. Maybe I'll have to stop in and see what they say. The way Ford is selling off the '03's I actually thought of buying a new truck. It would probably cost me less per month!

Old 07-27-2003, 03:04 PM
Runner, what year is your truck?

Quick Reply: The infamous door crack