Bugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bugs

Are you guys using anything other then normal wax to make bugs easier to clean of the painted areas on the front of the truck. Is there anything a guy can use on the bumper to make cleaning easier as well?

I'm just about to pick up my new truck and have to drive it thru an area that is overrun with grasshoppers. Not looking forward to the mess.

Old 07-28-2003, 02:23 PM
Bugs Suck!!!

Hey...just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in...

I just started using Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover Wipes for my 03 SCREW. Works like a charm, and are damn convenient. I just keep them under the seats for that "special" occasion. So far, they have worked REALLY well with my truck. I used to have a 01 Mustang (lost her to the accident gods) and used the same wipes religiously for about a year. Kept the Stang looking nice and didn't hurt the paint a bit. One thing to add...I drive about an hour to work each day, over a highway that is KNOWN for it's insect population. Let's just say these wipes helped out a lot by keeping that front end SPOTLESS. And one of the greatest parts about it is, there is no scrubbing...just rub it on gently, and let it sit for about a minute. Then just rub it off. If it leaves any film (means you overcoated the area), it comes right off with water. I would say these are the nicest to have for QUALITY (does the trick), CONVENIENCE (wipes come in a convenient tube), and AFFORDABILITY ($3.99 for 25 wipes in CA). Hope my recommendation helps...

Ryan

Old 07-28-2003, 02:37 PM
Sweet! I need to pick some up!

Old 07-28-2003, 03:57 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just as a sidenote on the bug and tar removers, I'm pretty positive that they'll take wax off of your vehicle too. The reason that the bugs seemingly dissolve and vanish with little effort is because they're pretty agressive chemically and the chemicals used aren't friendly to carnauba. Just a thought.

RP

Old 07-28-2003, 05:36 PM
I use Zaino and the bugs basically slide off on there own...

Old 07-28-2003, 06:04 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
I use Zaino and the bugs basically slide off on there own...
You lie like a dog on a rug. Sure, any vehicle that has great protection on the surface will make getting bugs and such easier however; they don't 'slide off'. Sorry man. Zaino might be good stuff but it doesn't compare to teflon. Be realistic keyhole.

RP

Old 07-28-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
You lie like a dog on a rug. Sure, any vehicle that has great protection on the surface will make getting bugs and such easier however; they don't 'slide off'. Sorry man. Zaino might be good stuff but it doesn't compare to teflon. Be realistic keyhole.

RP
I do NOT like that post at ALL.... Where is my special icon about keyhole?????

Ok, so I didn't make myself clear, any good wax/polish will help to remove bugs, it will make it easier, just that Zaino makes it a little more easy, kind of like it doesn't completely kill the bugs...

Old 07-28-2003, 09:29 PM
Moderator &

There ya go bud... sorry to have let you down.

RP

Old 07-28-2003, 09:37 PM

There ya go bud... sorry to have let you down.

RP
Thanks man, it really means alot...

Old 07-28-2003, 10:18 PM
Question More ?? on bugs

Just as a sidenote on the bug and tar removers, I'm pretty positive that they'll take wax off of your vehicle too. The reason that the bugs seemingly dissolve and vanish with little effort is because they're pretty agressive chemically and the chemicals used aren't friendly to carnauba. Just a thought.

RP
Hey folks,
Just a quick question, while we're on the topic...How "aggressive" are the chemicals? I guess my question is, "If they strip the wax, then how safe can they be for clearcoats??" To date, I've used these without any problems. Anybody have any bad experiences??? Anybody know much about auto paint and these chemicals? I know the label says "Clearcoat safe," but you never know...

Now you all got me wondering about my new SCREW...better go check the paint real quick...

Ryan

Old 07-29-2003, 09:30 AM
Moderator &

Not sure how to answer your question C5 however; I can tell you that I've used bug and tar remover as well on past vehicles. I didn't really have a negative experience persey but, I can tell you that it DEFINATELY removed the wax.

I know this because I sprayed it on a rag and wiped down the bugs off the front of my old car. It rained the next day and you could distinctivly see where I had wiped the remover on the vehicle because water wasn't beading and rolling off like the rest of the vehicle.

Just a thought I suppose...

RP

Old 07-29-2003, 09:44 PM
Roger that...

I see...that is a GOOD to know then, since I am about to wax my car. I think I am going to use the Meguiars, and see how these Turtle Wax bug and tar wipes work with that wax. One thing I noticed on the back of the wipes bottle...it said "After wiping, use a soft cloth to buff to a shine." I did that today, and they buffed out perfectly-wonder if these wipes have any waxing products in them at all (since they're Turtle Wax)? . It'll be a good "little" experiment just to see. I'll definitely let you guys know how it turned out.

Ryan

Old 07-29-2003, 10:04 PM
Moderator &

I doubt they have any wax in them but, who knows... they might.

Keep us posted.

-RP

Old 07-31-2003, 05:08 AM
Yeah, you're probably right. Although, that would be a great idea...a product that removes bugs/tar AND waxes the truck. A "two-for-oner." Maybe some high up exec will read this, and make our days...

Ryan

Quick Reply: Bugs