Mirror Turn Lamp Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mirror Turn Lamp Replacement

The turn signal lamp has gone out in my left mirror. How do I get access to the bulb? I didn't see any obvious ways to open up the mirror housing?

Old 08-09-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Fast Gator
I was led to believe you had to replace the whole mirror assembly
Jeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............ that sucks!

Old 08-10-2003, 12:14 PM
You first have to remove the mirror by pulling it straight out to access the inside of the housing. Once that is done you'll need to unclip 3 retainers to remove the mirror cover/blinker. (Be VERY careful they're very easy to break) Then it might be possible to replace the blinker. (Emphasis on "might") Gator is probably right, you might need to replace the whole cover. (~$75 at local dealership, less expensive online)

Old 08-11-2003, 10:26 PM
After re-reading Gator's post, some clarification is in order. I was referring to replacing just the mirror cover/blinker. You do NOT need to replace the whole mirror assembly. Replacing the whole assembly won't cost you ~$75 trust me LOL. I'll run you more along the lines of ~$250.

Old 08-21-2003, 04:38 PM
mfulkers

How'd ja make out wiff dat mirror????
My right one is out and I did a search here (after some recon in the general vicinity of the mirror with various implements of destruction and it looked fu@&ed to me too.....)
I'm all ears.... $75 bucks- OR MORE- for a fancyschmancy blinker??
What fu@&ing brain donor designed that one? !!!!!!

WT

Old 08-22-2003, 12:11 AM
Good Lord Fellas, its not THAT big a deal!

There is a standard $2 automotive 941 (I THINK thats the number) bulb in there.

Use the power motor to tilt the mirror all the way down toward the groud. Use a flashlight to look back into the mirror head and find the little plastic tabs (qty 2) that hold the cover onto the head. Push them down with the driver and the unit lifts off the front. The bulb is in a 'rotate and remove' type of socket in the lamp assembly.

You do not have to replace anything but a bulb. Anyone who tells you differently is ripping you off.

Now, if you have the LED glass on the mirrors, yes the glass has to be replaced - but with a 100,000 hour lamp life, I find that unlikely to be burned out.

Old 08-22-2003, 03:46 PM
PW,

Thanks Man.

I.O.U a couple of frosty ones

... AND my humble apologies to the brain donor dept. at Ford-

Lawdy. I do love this site.

Thanks again,

WT

Old 08-22-2003, 03:55 PM
PW1981

Hey, I just noticed you're in FLA.- well I'm here visiting (driving north by Labor Day) so if you wanna collect lemme know- I'm a man of my word.
I'm around Boca / Delray. Stoppin in Melbourne, Orlando, and Jacksonville on the trip back.

Fla. in the summer what the hell was I thinkin????

WT

Old 08-22-2003, 06:10 PM
FWIW,

Thanks to the above post (pw1981's) I was able to access the bulb in about 15 seconds. It did require my using my "Q BEAM 1,ooo,ooo candle power" (AHEM) hand-held spotlight to see into the black interior mirror void. After tilting the mirror towards the ground as far as it would go and donning my XTRA STRONG reading glasses i could easily see 2 flat PLASTIC clips above the mirror where the 2 halves of the housing are joined - the painted front separates from the black mirror housing.

I took a long thin flat screw driver inserted it on the horizontal into the clips and twisted just enough to separate the notch in the clips. The painted piece then pulls forward about a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch ONLY then up and out. (There are 2 flat vertical PLASTIC tabs on the bottom of the front piece that position the 2 halves- if you pull it too far forward you might snap them off ..... then you're fu@&ed.
After doing that with exhilerating speed and dexterity I then spent about an hour trying to find out EXACTLY what fu@&ing bulb it was...

It is a 921, or wait no, a 912. no I meant 916, ummm, ....

- IT IS A 921

Piece of cake.

Old 08-22-2003, 08:02 PM
Glad I could help

Its not difficult at all (as you now know) and Stealerships should be ashamed of themselves for even charging more than the cost of the bulbs to do it.

921 eh? I will make a note. Actually, I just looked and the bulb number is in the manual but it says to see a dealer for replacement

Though, in Ford's defense, I can see how some people might be stupid enough to screw their mirrors up big time doing this. I am sure they are just trying to save headaches in the end. But thats no excuse for servce departments to try and rip people off and charge a full hour's labor for a 5 minute job.

Old 08-23-2003, 11:05 PM
Amen on the Slealerships.

I also finaly found a bulb spec in the manual - 906/921 .

thanks again,

WT

Old 08-25-2003, 09:36 AM
Now if we could find a plug-and-play LED version...

Anybody know of one?

Old 08-25-2003, 10:32 PM
HMMMMMMM......

Quick Reply: Mirror Turn Lamp Replacement